Jan. 15, 7, at Chatt, ESPN +, radio

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Jan. 15, 7, at Chatt, ESPN +, radio

Postby lawdog on Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:03 pm

Chatt is 11-6 and just waxed Samford. Need our A game.https://gomocs.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbb
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: Jan. 15, 7, at Chatt, ESPN +, radio

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:10 pm

This is going to be a tough one. Chatty is solid and tough in their building. And then we have Furman at home. Difficult stretch coming up...will show us a lot about our team.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Gomocs on Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:55 am

First, I want to welcome all who are coming over and hope you have a safe trip.

One of our guys noticed your big man in the middle, Applegren. What is the story on him, he has hardly played, just become eligible or?

Thanks.
Moc Nation - http://mocnation.yuku.com/directory - a site run by fans for fans of the Chattanooga Mocs
Gomocs
Junior Terrier

Postby lawdog on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:07 am

Thanks.

Nagging ankle issue ... shows some promise when healthy. Is Chatt healthy?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Gomocs on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:22 am

healthy unless something has happened since Saturday that we don't know about.
Moc Nation - http://mocnation.yuku.com/directory - a site run by fans for fans of the Chattanooga Mocs
Gomocs
Junior Terrier

Postby boulder3m on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:50 am

With the Furman game moved up to Friday the Chatty game looks ominous. They are good and capable of beating anyone; especially at home. With a long road trip and then little time to prepare this doesn't feel good.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:08 pm

We should be rested and reasonably healthy for Chatt tonight. Need to play D, share it, shoot it, and rebound it, as we know we can. No fear.

Worry about FU later; no doubt they will be gunning for us, per usual.

The FU- WCU game should be interesting.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:52 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:45 pm

Whoa -- didn't know we could play this bad.

No one really hitting from 3. Hoover's made a couple nice baskets. Richardson made one, which is cool.
Big Appelgren missed an open dunk.
Chevy is 0-3 from foul line.
Maybe 1 offensive rebound the whole half.
Airball by Bigelow.
Chevy and Messiah each have 2 fouls.
Defense not terrible, but UTC hitting from everywhere.

Oh, well. Sometimes it happens. We'll get better. Maybe we can make it interesting in the 2nd half.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:48 pm

We brought our F game. We may be looking at our first back to back conference loses in a long time with a very talented Furman team that looks to be better than we are up next. Don’t count on any postseason play this year. Maybe if Mike Young hadn’t taken away Keve Aluma from us...I know I’m acting like a spoiled fan and I probably expect far too much but darn it, I just hate losing! It sucks!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:45 pm

Game summary. Coach hit the nail on the head. We were not the aggressor, and our shooting and poor D reflected that.We will do better, WG, ... count on it.
https://woffordterriers.com/news/2020/1 ... nooga.aspx
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:40 pm

Hopefully it was just a bad night and we'll do better. I expect that we will. A few thoughts:

**UTC looked like a really good team. The big and athletic. They had balanced scoring. They'd beaten Samford by close to 40 a few nights ago. That's a team that just might be a contender. They've got a bunch of transfers, including a few from big schools. That Matt Ryan guy is really good. He's someone who played big minutes in the SEC.

**Hard to watch Storm struggle. I trust that he will get his shot back. I know it must be frustrating.

**Over the last 4 games, Hoover has been solid. He figures out ways to score -- he's more than just a spot-up 3-point shooter. We'll miss that after he graduates. Still, he wasn't hitting early -- and it would have been nice to come out shooting well and for the team to get into the flow.

**This was a night when our lack of size hurt us. We can feel badly about not having Aluma -- I hear you on that, '94 -- but it just seemed like UTC was bigger at several positions. They had size on the perimeter. Some mobile big guys. And bulk and strength. It seemed like there were numerous tough matchups for our team. Even Messiah Jones, who has been so under control and great at using his body to create space and make plays, seemed to rush a little.

**Sorry that Appelgren missed that dunk. It seemed almost as if he couldn't decide whether to lay it up or dunk it. He will get better. He looked good on the play moving to the basket and catching the ball....just couldn't quite make the play.

**Chevy Goodwin has been spectacular lately and did some good things. But in our 2 most recent games, by my count he's 2-12 from the free throw line! That's problematic.

**Our guys continued to play hard. I've seen Wofford teams in the past look like they've given up in games, almost didn't want to be out there. I don't think that was the case tonight.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:46 am

I hate to play the “poor little us” card, but the truth is the truth. Bigger public universities like Chattanooga, WCU, and ETSU can bring in a bunch of transfers quickly and improve dramatically from one season to the next. Here at Wofford, improvement is very often a slower process. We have to build and rebuild. And losing three terrific seniors in Magee, Pegram, and Cam Jackson really stung. But in my opinion, the departure of Keve Aluma stung most of all, as it was totally unexpected and we really didn’t have anyone to replace him with. Perhaps David Appelgren was brought in as an attempt to do that, but so far he just hasn’t worked out, mainly due to his injury, and the jury is still very much out on Appelgren as a result. Bigelow and Jones are going to be excellent for us...they’re already good but they are just freshmen...freshmen who are playing an important role off the bench, a role we had upperclassmen for last year. The recruits we are bringing in for next year look very promising to me, but until they get on campus and see them in action at the D1 level we won’t really know for sure about them. But in any event I definitely would wager we’ll be better next year than this year. Due to all our losses and having to plug younger guys in, we have taken quite a step back for this season, aNd I hope we can take that step forward again next season. But time will tell just how big a step forward we will actually take...I know we’ll be better, the question is how much better? It can be frustrating coming back down to earth after having such an unworldly year last year.

But the good news is, despite all those losses as well as the head coaching change, we are still very much a player in the conference, and still a team to be reckoned with. That is a tribute to the PROGRAM and CULTURE that has been built at Wofford. We just need to get the size and talent level back up a tick, and we are obviously trying to take steps to do just that. I feel like although we may not win as many as I would like this one particular season, we won’t be terrible by any means, and we are in very good hands for the future with Jay McAuley.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:16 am

I hear you about all that, '94. It is a little hard coming back down to earth after last season. And, last night, our lack of size seemed to be a factor. It was at multiple positions, not just a matter of one huge mismatch near the rim, though if we had Aluma that would obviously have made it easier to get more size out on the court, overall. Anyway, can't do anything about that at this point. And, really, until last night, lack of size hadn't really been all that problematic against our SoCon foes.

And even last night, there were good looks at 3-pointers that just didn't go down. Not saying UTC didn't play good defense. I think they did. And, yeah, it seemed that their size gave us some trouble. We weren't especially balanced; more than half our shots were 3-point attempts. Some of those were well-defended. Still, I think we missed quite a few make-able shots -- maybe not enough to win the game, but a few makes early can set the tone and help the team get into a good rhythm.

A little worried about Hollowell: He only played 6 minutes, missed both his shots. It's partly, I think, that Richardson and DTL and Larson have been doing good things. But Hollowell is a guy who can score in bunches when he gets going, and seems like we need that.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:31 am

Also, it's only fair, I think, to point out that Wofford has brought in some key transfers at times. Chevy is here by way of C of C. David Appelgren is a juco transfer. Obviously, Jamar Diggs and Cameron Rundles, both transfers, and were a huge part of the program getting on track.

But, yeah, UTC's roster is about half transfer guys. And some of them are evidently pretty darn good players.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball