FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: 2019 Football Season

Postby Retiredterrier on Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:49 pm

Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:18 pm

Thanks RT. Appears Weirick continues to be dangerous.

Although at this point the D is generally ahead of the O, it appears particularly to be true at this point as we apparently have great depth on D. Increased focus on aspects of the O hopefully will improve its performance. Enthusiasm and competition appear good, which is key.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:27 pm

u r welcome ld. I remember Weirick in the GWU game last year where he ran the ball and eluded several defenders. It was surprising that he was able to do so because the D players from the opposing team appeared to be close enough to him where they could have just grabbed him. But somehow he danced around them and made some yardage mostly on his own.

Apparently Newman had a good day - ran for 2 TDs - even though the offense sputtered in the beginning.

I am wondering how our D would perform against a pass happy O since we lost several experienced DBs. Our O is more run oriented so I think our D was not tested as it would have been against a passing team. But still I am confident our D will do well this year.
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:00 pm

My hypothesis, and I have no inside information and I wasn't at the scrimmage, is that the reason why the defense performed better is because we're still evolving as an offense, adding more wrinkles, etc, while our defense is locked and loaded.

Think about it: we're only losing 2 players off the two deep on offense from last year, but replacing more defenders on defense, if we were keeping things the same on offense, you'd expect us to perform better with that minute personnel advantage.

What's more, we are bringing back pretty much every LB and as Shanesy wrote yesterday, we will probably be deeper on DL than last year. It's true that we have some DBs to replace, but we still have a lot of experience back there, with the forecast starters averaging 20 tackles a pop last year.

There's a lot of talk about how our offense is changing, but our defense probably changed more last year than our offense as we installed third down packages, multiple man sets, etc. We have been running zone defense for 30 years and we had 3 seniors last year in the secondary. That's hard to deprogram and I think you would expect more progress starting in year two.

All of this is to say, I could be wrong. It could have been an off day. I like where we are though as we are in a better position than most of the conference. If anything, there's probably something wrong with our mindset if we are perfectly satisfied with the outcome of a scrimmage. There's always something to improve on and if you check everyone team's Twitter feed, no one is going to say everything was terrible.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:18 am

Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Recent accounts are that our coaches, and players, are very impressed with the amount of quality depth we have on D, especially on the D line; we have some young guys who have really burst forth and will be a great help. Encouraging to hear but need to show it when the whistle blows.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:53 pm

I am very excited for this year.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:55 pm

The more I look at what we're bringing back this year, I haven't felt this hyped about Wofford football since I came on this board over a decade ago in 2008. Our offense should be loaded and I don't see any reason why we won't have a repeat (or better) of last year's statistics. Not only do we bring back the entire OL two deep but we also bring back 5 rushers from last season that had at least 20 attempts and 10 games played (that's not counting Blake Morgan either). We also have 4 QBs on scholarship, none of them redshirting, and I don't remember the last time we had that. And we have basically the entire wide receiver corp back AND a bunch of talented recruits coming in (we signed more receivers than running backs this year).

As lawdog has alluded to with regard to defensive depth, I remember now how Siefkis said last year at a coaching show that we want to rotate something like 27 players in on defense. I have no idea if we accomplished that last year, with it being a new system and all, but if the buzz is accurate, we should take a step forward this year. It's possible that last year would have been a step back relative to 2016 to 2017 with the players and leadership we lost the year before (looking at linebacker, OL, WR, etc) but we still had a comparatively strong season.

Not to put the pressure on Coach Conklin, but if he takes us to another level this year, the expectations will be permanently raised IMO. I hope we live up to the hype I'm feeling.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football