Recruiting

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Recruiting

Postby walliver on Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:43 pm

I wouldn't take rumors of "academic issues" seriously. In many cases these are simply paperwork or documentation issues.

My father had a classmate at Wofford who entered the school not speaking English. He later became one of the schools most prominent benefactors.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:39 pm

I believe I read that Wur did have to get his ACT score a little higher. I also heard an interview with him, and he sounded quite smart and composed. So who knows...

Based on the highlight videos I've seen, I'm honestly not sure why most of the schools in the ACC aren't recruiting him (I realize some are out of scholarships...). A 6-9 dude who can run past people, shoot pretty well, handle the ball. I'm guessing he will end up in a bigger conference, but would be exciting to see a guy like that play for the T-Dogs.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:54 pm

should be narrowing down the list tomorrow it seems. hopefully we make the first cut.
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:07 pm

Let’s get him to visit our beautiful campus and facility, and we shall see.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:26 pm

Not visiting Wofford. But he will take a look at Virginia Tech. Along with Creighton, Texas A&M, Hawaii, Oregon.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:54 pm

I'll give mike credit. They have added some good pieces creatively on late notice to fill gaps. Even outside the wofford guys. Id be shocked if hunter isnt continuously recruited over though at this pace
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:02 pm

Terrierfan06 wrote:I'll give mike credit. They have added some good pieces creatively on late notice to fill gaps. Even outside the wofford guys. Id be shocked if hunter isnt continuously recruited over though at this pace

He may very well end up recruited over, sitting on the bench and wishing he’d stuck with Wofford. Jumping ship to a much better league is very risky. But I’m sure Hunter knew all that since he’s smart enough to have been committed to Wofford and it was a risk he must have been willing to take. As for Lok Wur, I was hopeful we could catch some real lightning in a bottle, but at the same time I never really thought he’d really come to WoCo as he is probably too talented to go to a SoCon school. Heck, he’s probably too talented to be messing around with a mediocre Big 5 program like Virginia Tech! KANSAS (yes, the JAYHAWKS) was looking at this guy- not sure if they offered him but they definitely showed some interest. Wur’s ceiling is very high, much higher than Catoor’s. But they don’t play the same position so that’s good for Hunter if Lok was to choose VT. Incidentally, Hawaii’s on Wur’s short list- that sounds like a very nice place to spend your college years!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:47 pm

I could imagine both Cattoor and Aluma getting recruited over. Or maybe they won't be. But I figure Mike Young is in a major hurry to get the most talented players he can get. And, to be fair, I figure just about all coaches are looking to bring in more talented players each year. But, yeah, Cattoor and Aluma could have great careers at VT, or it might not go so great. Wofford might have been a better opportunity, overall.

There's been some discussion recently about how transferring to VT was clearly a step up (or something along those lines) for Aluma....and I don't concede that.

But, whatever -- that's done now.

I think McAuley and his staff have done a nice job bringing in some very intriguing players this spring. I'm excited about the talent in our program, and excited about 2019-2020 for the T-dogs.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:40 pm

Agree Dude. We will put a strong and deep team on the floor in 2019 and we will be tough to beat.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:53 pm

People think VT is a step up just because they are a so-called Big 5 program in the mighty ACC and Wofford is a so-called mid-major in the “lowly” SoCon. But as of right now, I think Wofford just might be the better of the two teams for the 2019-20 season. I think we are deeper and more talented overall right now (that’s still subject to change of course). I’d love to play them (especially in Spartanburg) and give them a chance to prove their program’s superiority but it doesn’t look to be in the cards for a while. But yeah, I think it’ll be another fun year. We likely won’t repeat an undefeated SoCon run, but we’ll be in the mix for the conference title once again. At least we should be. We have the horses. We just need Coach McAuley and staff to ride them.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:38 am

Guys.

The Socon (we) won its first tournament game in a decade this year. Once every couple of years we get a player drafted, but it's not often. The ACC regularly gets draft picks and has won countless tournament games in the same span. If you play in the ACC, you'll play against better opponents and boost your profile. You answer a lot of the questions revolving around "big fish small pond" in the ACC.

I love Wofford College and Wofford athletics and am a strong supporter of the socon in all sports that I pay attention to. But let's not kid ourselves. The ACC is lightyears ahead of us in football. It's very much like transferring from a directional state university to the Ivy leagues in terms of academic prestige and opportunities. That's not to knock us or even downplay your typical directional state university, but the disparity is that big. Will it be that way in 10 or 20 years if the socon continues to improve, win some games, and recruit some high talent athletes? Maybe not. But right now we aren't in the same league.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:15 pm

I hear you, youngterrier. And I think everyone understands that the ACC is a higher level than the SoCon – I don’t think people are arguing that (though ’94 may be correct that Wofford could possibly be as strong as VT in the next season or two…). But I think the larger issue is that, for the individual player, going to a larger school isn’t always necessarily a better opportunity.

Here’s a hypothetical from a different sport: Had Eric Breitenstein had a chance to be a backup fullback at NC State, would that have been a better experience for him than having a hall-of-fame career at Wofford?

Anyway, I figure that if Keve ends up starting on a Virginia Tech team that makes it to the Final Four, that’ll be pretty thrilling – and also helpful for his professional prospects. On the other hand, if he plays sparingly on a couple mediocre VT teams while he could’ve been helping Wofford make it back to the NCAA Tournament, it might not turn out to have been such a great move.

I happen to think Keve is a really, really good basketball player. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t get decent minutes, at a minimum. But it may depend on how well and how aggressively Mike recruits. He’s running pretty wide open right now, as one would expect. That could affect Keve’s prospects for playing time. At Wofford, he looked to be a 30-minute-a-game guy and contender for post-season honors the next two years.

Of course, I imagine Keve and those encouraging him to leave Wofford considered these angles….Meanwhile, I suppose we’ve been around and around about here.

I would only like to add one thing in conclusion: A) Yes, we can logically assume that most recruits who get offers from bigger programs will choose to go to a bigger program, but B) I hope that McAuley and staff are fearless in promoting Wofford to recruits who could attend a larger school but would be likely to see more playing time at Wofford. Because, truly, that might be the better option for some guys.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:33 pm

And, oh, does it look like we're done recruiting for 2019? Any other prospects lingering out there we might try and snag?
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:08 pm

We are a mid-major program, but that does not have to mean that we cannot be a top 25 program. We have the game facilities, the training facilities, and a competitive mid major conference. In addition, we have an educational experience that can compete with everyone. Gonzaga is a mid major program that has exceeded their conference boundaries, and become a perennial national power. Their basketball payroll reflects it as well. They play a non-conference national schedule now, because they are a prestige draw, and a national draw. What would hold us back? Well, salaries for one; however, time and continued success creates a name, which creates national attention, which creates income opportunities. I would like to think that we can compete year in, and year out at a continuing level of excellence, and we should not limit our self definition or our goals--
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:21 am

I can think of around 8 million reasons we differ from gonzaga. While it was thrilling to be top 25, that is likely going to be the exception not the rule. Even if winning or being in contention to win socon titles every regular season, top 25 for socon teams dont happen often

While we are certainly capable this year, id remember we lost 3 starters and a valuable piece off the bench. Realistically, a top 3-5 finish is likely a successful year
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball