NCAA tourney

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: NCAA tourney

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:17 pm

Was not sure where to post; yet, since we are gearing for the tourney:

Attended practice yesterday..team was focused; yet, loose towards end of session.
Brief chat w MY - very excited about next weekend ("We'll be ready.")
Watched Coach Giltner put Isaiah and Messiah thru a series of 1-1 drills. (Teammates even came over to watch/shout.) These RSF are GOOD and will be solid contributors in years ahead!
Had the pleasure of meeting Todd S from the Herald-Journal. We are fortunate to have him as Wofford's scribe for all things sports.
If every Friday afternoon was just like this...
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:42 pm

Just watched Davidson being dismantled by St Louis. I am beginning to think that the A10 is highly overrated, and that Davidson does not deserve a bid. They don't seem to have any outstanding wins, and they lost to UNC by 22 and even lost to Wake Forest! Yet many of the pundits have them in the tournament. The A10 is really weak, IMO.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:06 pm

Open to the public! Free nibbles. Need a big turnout.https://woffordterriers.com/news/2019/3 ... event.aspx
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:22 pm

I think most of the pundits assumed they would win the A10 tourney after VCU wnet out. I don't see them getting in. Resume is not as good as Belmont or Furman quite honestly.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:07 am

Lunardi has Davidson out now. However, he shows UNCG and Furman nowhere near. The fact that the teams out west are so weak has got to be a delimma for the committee. Do you let some in just because you want more ratings, or do you let the teams in that actually deserve it? With Gonzage perhaps fumbling away a #1 seed and probably 3 ACC teams as 1's there may be a push to get more teams from the left coast time zone in the event.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:54 pm

From what I have seen of other conference tournaments, UNCG or Furman, or both, deserve to be in the NCAA tourney. The level of talent and play of these two teams, and us, is certainly as good or better than that of many of the teams from larger conferences who will get bids. We are after all the 11th rated basketball conference in the country, for goodness sakes. Inviting only one team from a conference of this quality is unprecedented.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:37 pm

We got a tough draw, probably having to beat Kentucky to advance to the Sweet 16. Getting past Seton Hall will be tough enough but I think we do that. Beating Kentucky is not impossible, but we have our work cut out for us. Dang it I was hoping for a 6 seed. Oh well. We’ll have to make the best of it.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:42 am

According to news reports today, UNCG was in until Oregon upset Washington to get an auto bid. They are hosting Campbell in NIT tomorrow 7 pm ESPN3 ... should win but look forward to watching Clemons for Campbell.

NC State is mad. With NET 32, highest left out.
Last edited by lawdog on Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby jorober18 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:12 pm

I am a life long Wolfpack fan and this one wasn't even close.

The NET was fools gold for the Wolfpack and the SOS Non-Conference was just unbelievably bad.

Yow (NC State AD) has really missed the boat on this one and with all the allegations circling concerning her former hire, I would like to think staying off the NCAA radar would be the best move she could make.
jorober18
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:40 pm

State didn't belong in the tournament, and Yow should be ashamed for even squaking about it. I like their new coach and hope he can build them back.
It appears that, regardless of the NET and other fodder for the talking heads, the committee reverted right back to the old ways and their old thoughts on who should be in the tournament. I think we were #14 in the NET and now ranked #19 but we get seeded as if we are 25-28. The NCAA has the SoCon in a glass box and somehow the league has to break out.
By the way, this board is the very place we should go to help out those Wofford fans who can't find tickets for Thursday night. If you know of any way to get seats please post it here!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:23 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattatTheSta ... 7082189824

Some bulletin board material for our guys...it has been sent to them. Chavez Goodwin would be the scariest “paperboy” ever!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:02 pm

Forget Kentucky. Pride cometh before the fall. Our guys will be ready and if both teams make it that far I am sure it will be quite a game. Wofford might not win that game, but I am certain that Kentucky will have a fight on their hands. Raw talent almost always struggles against solid fundamentals.
SoCon Champs '03 '07 '10 '12 '17 '18
FCS Playoffs '03 '07 '08 '10 '11 '12 '16 '17 '18
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48 '49 '50 '51 '52 '54 '56 '57 '61 '62 '63 '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:20 pm

As for NC State and their exclusion, I grew up a Wolfpack fan and as much as I get the arguments against them I see their point as well. That being said, they should have finished stronger.

Losses to Georgia Tech and Wake Forest look really bad, but if the NET is going to be advertised as the standard then it should be used. Furthermore, the OOC SOS is a tilted argument. They beat Auburn at home, beat Penn State on a neutral court and won at Vanderbilt. Anyone who understands the rules of basketball and watches the highlights of their game with Wisconsin knows that a number of the flop charge calls that went against them were highly questionable and dictated the outcome of that one. Sure, some of the other games were against very week teams, but some of those same teams had big drop offs from successful years in 2017-2018.

I'm not making excuses, because they should have won a few more games and then the point would be moot, but the fact that St. John's is in and NC State is out is my issue because there is no way to compare those two resumes. If it was State out and UNCG in I would have no problem.

Lastly, there's a big guy/little guy dynamic here. I don't want people with good NET ratings excluded due to weaker OOC schedules because that is what hurt the SoCon with at-large bids (plus some Power 5 upsets). If we are going to say that a mid-major has no choice but to play those that appear on their schedule then that has to apply to all.

If they would expand the bracket to 96 like I would advocate and then fold the CBI and CIT into the NIT for what's left then you would be talking about a bubble with teams many fewer people would argue over anyway. You could offer guaranteed slots to all conference regular season and tournament champions which would push more money down to the lower tiered conferences and create more unique storylines and matchups which would equal more TV ratings, advertising fees and Internet clicks. But what do I know?
SoCon Champs '03 '07 '10 '12 '17 '18
FCS Playoffs '03 '07 '08 '10 '11 '12 '16 '17 '18
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48 '49 '50 '51 '52 '54 '56 '57 '61 '62 '63 '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:39 am

Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:58 pm

I don't know, EyesofOldMain....

I'm not sure I like the idea of expanding the tourney that much. It would take away something special about it. Would I like for the SoCon to be a two-bid league? Sure! But if it's WAY less of a challenge, then I think that would be less special. I would rather see it happen by figuring out ways for mid-majors to have more opportunities against the larger schools during the regular season. Perhaps there are ways to create more neutral-court matchups in the early season. And maybe more mid-majors could play each other during the regular season, helping to set some of the better teams apart. A SoCon vs. A10 or Colonial Challenge -- something like the ACC vs. Big 10 Challenge -- could be a draw. Or if Wofford could just get a home/away series going with CofC or Davidson (perhaps, for this matter, the long-discussed game against USC-Upstate could happen? WoCo vs. PC?). I feel there ought to be ways to step up the competition among mid-majors and to hopefully get them more games in neutral settings against the bigger programs. I'd rather see the NCAA push that than to promote expanding the tournament by 30 or more teams.
dude
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball