2019 Spring season and beyond

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017, 2018
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017. 2018
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: 2019 Spring season and beyond

Postby Terrierfan06 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:32 pm

it looks and sounds like we may return the best overall O-Line in football, depth at a number of important other "speed/skill positions" like rb, wr, qb in our offense... if the Defense is anything like last year maybe we break through the quarterfinal ceiling we keep hitting.
Terrierfan06
Junior Terrier

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:19 pm

Terrierfan06 wrote:it looks and sounds like we may return the best overall O-Line in football, depth at a number of important other "speed/skill positions" like rb, wr, qb in our offense... if the Defense is anything like last year maybe we break through the quarterfinal ceiling we keep hitting.
Not saying or predicting that we will, but I think we have the potential to get all the way to the championship game. But I don’t know if we (or anybody else) can take down NDSU. I really wish the Bison would just move on to FBS now. They have nothing left to prove at this level.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:11 am

IF NDSU were to lose it any year, it would be this one. They lost a lot of personnel. That's happened before though.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:53 am

Michael Ralph is the best player in FCS that wears #66

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-201 ... fford-bzbz
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:41 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/CoachSiefkes ... 85/photo/1

Without digging too deep or getting too specific at this point (that can come later, in a new thread), it appears we will have an outstanding defense in 2019. Certainly we lost some great ones, including two who are on NFL rosters. However we return talent, depth, and experience at DL, LB, and DB ... many of whom have started or played very substantial roles. A few have been moved, e.g., Armstrong to DL from LB. We also have some exciting RS talent, and some true freshmen who are far enough along to contribute. At least two deep. There will be a lot of competition for PT.

Other thoughts or opinions?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby terrier06 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:22 pm

A few things jumped out at me when I looked over the newest roster:

(1) Newcomer Jeremy Michaux is listed on the *defensive* line whereas his information when he signed in February listed him on the *offensive* line. Is the move from OL to DL a typo? If not, what prompted the position change?

(2) Our OL is as deep as I can remember. I'm not sure our THREE deep has changed. If we want to add/update/tweak/etc. our offense, then *now* is the time with an experienced OL, QB, and lots of talent at the skill positions.

(3) I don't remember a time, except about 10 years ago because of injuries (Bersin's SR year when he played some at the wing due to plain lack of bodies at HB), that we've had so few HBs on roster. My count has Morgan, Lovelace, VanCleave, and (FR) Allen as the only clear HBs on roster. Suggs has played HB in the past, though he's listed at FB. (R-FR Broussard is a FB as is true FR Mulligan, I'm sure.) I would imagine these numbers are due to the shift in use of normal HBs as slot receivers (Morgan and VanCleave played a lot of slot as a *reliever* last season). So, we might see some of the smaller WRs we signed (Jackson, Khayo, & Sanders) play a role that we've traditionally used HBs for in the slot. (Might we also use them, out of the slot, as *runners*?) At least, that's my suspicion--I could easily be wrong here. But the numbers make sense, if that's the reasoning.

(4) Our first and second strings seem pretty set up and without many obvious questions (assuming that Horton plays NG rather than DE). The only wiggle room I can see on the second string is at HB (behind Morgan, Lovelace, and VanCleave), DE (behind Mangum, Armstrong, and Lufkin) ILB (behind Wilson, Brown, and Titus), and CB (behind Gbeese and Pascal). I expect incoming RB Allen will fill out the last slot at HB, R-FRs Ball and Barnes will battle for the other DE slot, and FR Scroggs will be at ILB (since the ILB that redshirted last year is gone). CB will be interesting: Anderson might be the guy (since Strawter and Johnson have appeared to move to S), but we have LOTS of folks incoming. Campbell is transferring with FCS experience and I know we recruited him pretty hard last cycle, but Hazel and Richardson have been on site and well-regarded. CB might be the thinnest on experience but most interesting in terms of *new* talent and numbers.

(5) The reasoning in (4) gets blown up if there's a FR or set of FRs that go gangbuster and play such that they can't be held out. It'll be interesting to see which FRs or if any FRs play their way into substantial roles, aside from positional thinness.
terrier06
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:23 pm

I noticed that too about Michaux. I think but am only speculating that it is a mistake. Based on the fact that Michaux is listed everywhere at 6'6" and about 280 except for the Terrier roster which shows him as 6'3" and 230. Notice that Micheal Mason is listed as 6'3" and 230 and that seems to be his true height and weight (according to Hudl). And Mason is also on the DL. So considering all of that information it appears that Michaux is being confused with Mason. Although I would welcome Michaux on the DL since he is taller than our usual DL. Many times a tall guy can throw his arms up in the air and swat a pass down while a shorter player would have a more difficult time to do that.

As an overall outlook for the entire team my biggest concern is with the D because we lost more key players there than the O. With our DBs we lost several high quality guys - Tillery, Watson, Lemon, Massey - although we do have Gbesee and Alstatt returning so maybe we were not hurt too bad in the DB area. Also lost Miles who cannot be replaced but Horton is not too far behind. And as for LB we lost Hinton and Rountree but our LB group is very strong so hopefully those two guys' leaving will only be minimal as far as negative impact.

X factor is as usual the incoming FR - for O and D. I doubt that all of them will be kept off of the field as there seem to be too many that are just too talented. Trying to pick the best of them is too difficult - all of them are just too good to eliminate any of them

I agree with your (3) where you talk about the HBs being few in number. FRs Jackson, Sanders and Khayo (besides Allen) seem to be good guys to put in that position as you pointed out. Also Landon Parker may be a good pick as well. He has good size and is relatively fast (40 time of 4.5). And Kent Phelps if he is healthy may provide some help too. Also Broussard is also fast (40 time 4.48) although he has good size. Mulligan seems fast and I think would do well at HB although I have not found a 40 time for him. However for HBs as a whole we are lacking in experience - Morgan the only one that I see with a lot of it while VanCleave and Lovelace are experienced but less than Morgan.
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:50 pm

We already know about the scholly players so let's take a look at the other guys. Cameron Hellgeth. not a scholly guy it seems but appears to be a good get, maybe a steal. however he had a 3.8 GPA and 25 on the ACT so good possibility that he has an academic scholly. highlights are good and has good size.

https://myfootballevaluation.com/player ... -hellgeth/

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5037958/Cameron-Hellgeth

James Wells

http://www.hudl.com/profile/7837003/James-Wells
Last edited by Retiredterrier on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:10 pm

Had four offers, inc. Cornell, PC,and Jax. Could help us.
I am guessing Harrington, the late and highly-regarded signee from Texas, may be a Richardson Scholar, in view of his several Ivy offers.
James Wells at LB appears to have some nice credentials as well, could help. Strong film.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:38 pm

Walker, Suggs, and Riazzi are our closest things to pure fullback. Lovelace, Broussard, and Mulligan perhaps can do what past hybridized backs, like LoLo and Romero, have done for us: line up and perform at either HB or FB; our versatile offense allows for that and it can be fun to see a D try to figure out which roles those guys may be filling on a particular play. Also we have seen in the past a gifted wide receiver or two line up at HB; we now have at least three experienced, fast, and gifted WRs and we might see some of that this year.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:36 pm

Southern Pigskin's preseason top 50 players in the SoCon. Terriers have the most at 8. http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/2019-socon-top-50/

ETSU and FU have 7 each.
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:42 pm

Seven of the top 26, FWIW.
Pleased to see Nate Walker on the list. Great things ahead for him.
Do not want to sound greedy, but am surprised we do not have at least one of our talented LBs on this list.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:30 pm

Retiredterrier wrote:We already know about the scholly players so let's take a look at the other guys. Cameron Hellgeth. not a scholly guy it seems but appears to be a good get, maybe a steal. however he had a 3.8 GPA and 25 on the ACT so good possibility that he has an academic scholly. highlights are good and has good size.

https://myfootballevaluation.com/player ... -hellgeth/

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5037958/Cameron-Hellgeth

James Wells

http://www.hudl.com/profile/7837003/James-Wells

Ben Carnazzo, big DT/C, is promising new talent on roster.https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/ben-ca ... 576ad39418

https://woffordterriers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6151
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:23 pm

Excited to see those Terriers on the list of 50. Even more excited that the majority are OL...me thinks that bodes well for the SHD's!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football