Sagarin

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Sagarin

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:07 am

Well I can’t speak for anyone else, but I personally think that USA natives should get the first cracks at the scholarships at American colleges and universities (athletic, academic, what have you). There are plenty of Americans that can play D1 basketball without resorting to recruiting out of the country and those scholarships are needed by American people. Helping our American people get educated and make a better life for themselves should be the goal of all of our colleges and universities. Americans first, before foreigners! Just my thoughts.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:35 am

I am pretty sure that when recruiting a student athlete at Wofford, his nationality is not part of the conversation. There have been several players that contributed mightily to Wofford from foreign countries, and at least one is in the Wofford Hall of Fame. I would think that if we had recruiting connections overseas, we would utilize them fully--I think Wofford seeks out qualified foreign students anyway--
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:31 pm

Well I will just say that I have given my opinion on the subject. But I am not going to deny anyone a different opinion on the subject and I am certainly not going to engage in debate on it. I have my thoughts and others have theirs...
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:47 pm

As a Terrier Club member I do have a problem with recruiting foreign players on a regular or majority basis. For many reasons I think it is a bad idea. Wofford has never gotten off track doing it and I hope they never do. A few foreign athletes is fine, but "buying a team" from outside the country just seems wrong to me. In my back yard both the men's tennis team and men's soccer team of Wake Forest is made up of overwhelmingly foreign players. They have won the national championship using them, and many alumni think it is just fine. They are losing tennis and soccer players early-going to the professional ranks. I just personally think it is a very rare athlete who comes to the US to play a sport and later has any alligience to the school. It is a topic that I think ought to be discussed before it becomes a situation that causes problems. I fully understand that my view may be incorrect and that I could be persuaded otherwise.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:09 pm

I don't have a problem with foreign players for political reasons -- it's not an "America first" agenda or anything like that. But I do have a sense that kids from the US may fit the culture of the school better and may see themselves as more a "part of" the community -- though I imagine that there could certainly be (and have been) exceptions. And, as boulder3m says, recruiting a bunch of kids from other countries seems to have a bit of the feel of "buying players" (though, giving full scholarships worth $10,000s...to play a sport...that's arguably buying players, too, I suppose).

Anyway, I like the more homegrown vibe of the Wofford program.

That said, expanding the pool of potential recruits in general wouldn't be a bad thing, and if Wofford could sign an elite player every now and then who comes from a different country, I'd not be upset by that.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:29 pm

I'm sorry I ever got us off on this path. I suppose Davidson was the trigger, but let's move on. It is NOT political, but there are probably those who would try to make it that. Dude hit it on the head when he said we have a culture at Wofford that seems to work just fine.
Now, the question that is interesting is whether our NET rating goes up or down after a nearly 40 point thrashing of El Cid down in what they like to call "God's Country?" Todd pointed out that our rating has fallen a couple of spots after the past two games. Personally, any win on the road is extremely valuable, regardless of the point spread.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:57 pm

For example, after the upsets and beatings yesterday we bounced back up to 28th.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:50 pm

I am watching the Davidson-Rhode Island game. They just said that Davidson would get an at-large bid. Why them and not us? They haven’t beaten anyone special or eye popping- certainly no one like South Carolina. The SoCon is a better rated conference than the Atlantic 10 and Wofford is more highly rated than Davidson. So why is it that from an at-large standpoint they in but we are out? That’s not right or fair! The Terriers have a better resume than the Flying Eurotrash Foreigners, er, Wildcats and that’s not an opinion...it’s fact! I know I’m preaching to the choir and that my outrage isn’t going to change anything, but I might as well exercise my freedom of speech on the subject. I know the people that matter may not take heed in anything I say, but I am at the very least going to make myself heard to them. I hve relentlessly been promoting Wofford on social media. I have received some ridicule but a lot more positive support and feedback! At the end of the day, I think many people identify more with the “little guy” than they do with the big power guys. Of course none of that is going to help us on Selection Sunday if we fail to win our tourney...money drive this thing. Cold hard cash. And nothing else.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:46 pm

On the flip side, here’s a nice write-up that says we have a good shot at making it in as an at-large:

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/02/05/ ... eams-2019/
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:38 am

This is from an interview with the selection committee Chair Bernard Muir who is the AD at Stanford. Also of note is the fact that the A10 Commish is a new member of the committee. It will be interesting to see how that bears out. The A10 could have 2 deserving teams in Davidson and VCU but so will the Socon.

CBS Sports: Speaking of conferences, teams are not judged by the conference they come from, and yet, I have to note that the MAC and SoCon rank in the top 10 at KenPom.com among all conferences, ahead of the A-10 and Mountain West. Is it fair to speculate that teams such as Wofford, Buffalo, Liberty, Lipscomb, Belmont and perhaps a few others are benefitting from a healthy NET rating and therefore stand to have a better chance at being more doggedly debated come March if they continue to perform similarly to how they have to this point?

Muir: I think my answer to that question is, the teams you reeled off are teams that went out played competition, won games, played them close, didn't have as many bad losses and so their rankings are elevated. And I think that's for any team, whether that's the mid-major or major school and maybe you get few more opportunities. But the teams you're talking about, every year we have teams like that we really have to discuss and evaluate because they've done something notable in their schedules and that is going to draw interest of the committee.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:35 pm

Another article on Wofford and the NCAA tournament:

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com ... ssion=true
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby jorober18 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:13 pm

The genie is officially out of the bottle--> http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ers#Others
jorober18
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:43 am

Interestingly, the win at ETSU did not move Wofford out of #29, but moved ETSU up three spots!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:39 am

Wow, here Wofford is listed as an 8 seed! High praise and very flattering indeed. But I’d rather not be in a 7-10 slot. I think 11-12 is actually more ideal for making a deeper run. A 7-10 team is likely going to be matched up with a 1or 2 seed in a second round game- in this case we would have to face Duke. And I don’t care what anyone else thinks, I don’t want to play Duke. We have close to zero chance to win. Yeah, I know Mercer beat Duke but that Duke team was nothing like this Duke team. I want matchups that give us better chances to continue on in the tourney.

Yes, I’m looking ahead. I’m counting a few chickens before they hatch; I know that too. But I’m a fan so I’m allowed to do that. The team is not.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:33 pm

Would be great to beat Duke and have Zion thinking what might have been
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball