FCS Playoffs Round 2 Wofford vs Kennesaw St

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017, 2018
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017. 2018
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: FCS Playoffs Round 2 Wofford vs Kennesaw St

Postby youngterrier on Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:06 pm

I'm going to post a thread later today about our offense.

There needs to be a change in strategy. We have to failed to score 20 points in 7 of our last 9 playoff games (I think we had a defensive score against UNH in 2012).

We haven't scored 30 points on a playoff team in a decade. Our defense has been lights out over this period.

My point isn't that we should fire WL or ditch the option all together, but if you look at Georgia Southern, for the most part they didn't have these problems in the playoffs. KSU has similar problems, but their sample is much smaller.

Again, I don't want to over-read this, because it was a tough loss against a good team, but I think we have hit a ceiling with our current offensive gameplan. I'm not smart enough to tell you how we could change it for the better. I just look at other playoff contenders and they don't seem to have this problem. One of the alleged benefits of the triple option is that it's hard to defend if you don't have enough time to prep, but in the playoffs many of these teams have similar short time frames and similar success.

Bottom line, I think we need to do some myth busting and soul searching. If we ever want to get past the round of 16 or 8 we have to make some changes.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:15 pm

WocoSix wrote:In the words of Dennis Green..."They were who we thought they were and we let them off the hook"

Earlier this week I had a warm and fuzzy that we could beat this KSU team. And as the week went on I was confident after watching thier film and looking at their stats. The only surprise that came to me was how beat up our team was going into the playoffs. No disrespect to KSU and congratulations, but there are a list of players (Mikel Horton, Andre Stoddard, Blake Morgan, Billy Horton, Cole Cleary) not available going into the post season play. And from an insider perspective there were 3 offensive starters and 4 defensive starters that were held together with scotch tape and bubble gum. With that being said I am proud how this team fought with all the circumstances and physical limitations. Also keep in mind we have not had a bye week since September... almost 3 and a half months. And that injury list increased even more with new players (DT Wilson, Nick Karas, and Miller Mosley) during the KSU game. If we would have won we would have been a walking mash unit going into South Dakota,

As for the game it was a Championship type battle. There were tons of questionable calls by the coaching staff as well as the officiating crew. The pivotal point for me was NOT the Wofford fumble with less than 2 minutes in the game...though it proved to be the deciding. It was KSU fumbling the ball on their own 40 yard line in the 4th quarter and we walk away with zero points and two epic fail plays on 3 and 1 at KSU 31 yard line. Get under center and QB sneak (like we did earlier in the game) or take the FG attempt with Luke Carter (like we did earlier in the game with a 45 yarder) from 48 yards. The other play would be the clear interception that places KSU literally inside the 1 yard line. With our defense playing lights out 8 TFL's, Miles destroying the middle of line and Domo and Devin securing the boundaries, the probability of a safety or at least a punt from the end zone was highly probable.

+1. Spot on.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:51 pm

Six I agree as well. The FCS writers are puffing and crowing about how the seeds were correct; but each of the seeds got a bye week and home field. That is WAY too much advantage. Why doesn't the FCS just seed a field of 32 and then play on? It is a travesty to be proud of the seeds that have an overwhelming advantage. That has nothing to do with our situation, in that we had a short trip and the weather was so bad that it pretty well evened things out.

I think WL needs someone in his ear that will suggest plays to him. I think we only called the QB sneak once and it went for 3-4 yards. The way that game was going I would have called it over and over until they proved they could stop it. I couldn't agree more that the third and one after the fumble recovery should have been one or even two QB sneaks. I was literally yelling it at the screen when it happened, and WL needs someone yelling it in his ear as well. It seems that time and again there are obvious plays that will work that are not seen by the one who needs to know.

One more thing is that our O Line was not able to move the opposition down the stretch the way we needed. Not pointing fingers, just a fact. They need to really be able to root out the opposing D Line, and perhaps next year they will. I will start another thread on the future, which I think is very bright and perhaps different.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:47 am

I agree with the importance of not scoring after the KSU fumble and the horrendous spot after the interception as the two major turning points, but, it is hard to fault the last drive. Wofford had the ball, a reasonable amount of time and controlled its own destiny. I honestly expected a Montana-esque drive for the win.

As far as the seeds being correct, those are arbitrary and the results don't tell me much except for the advantage of home field and a bye plus some seeds playing the results of watered down first round games. I am not in favor of pushing the number of teams up to 32. If there are so many complaints about questionable teams now, then how about when you add eight more? 7-4 doesn't generally equate to a playoff berth to me no matter who it is. I like the reward of a bye for the top 8. Remember, if Wofford hadn't laid an egg at Samford the Terriers likely would have been the #7 or #8 seed.
SoCon Champs '03 '07 '10 '12 '17 '18
FCS Playoffs '03 '07 '08 '10 '11 '12 '16 '17 '18
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48 '49 '50 '51 '52 '54 '56 '57 '61 '62 '63 '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:08 pm

SDSU is up over Kennesaw 17-3 at half. Jackrabbit OL is hefty.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:22 pm

Don't we have a couple of former coaches on the Army staff? I think Shadon Brown is there. Anyone else? They have really turned that program around.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Peachy Carnahan on Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:41 pm

Watching a good comeback with KSU and SDSU. We were a play away from beating those guys. I feel we could beat SDSU...Only if I guess.
Peachy Carnahan
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football