Most Users Ever?

General Discussion

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Most Users Ever?

Postby lawdog on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:01 pm

I note that at the bottom of our board it says that the most users ever on our board occurred yesterday, Nov. 13, 2018, at 1:33 a.m. Really? Why might that have been - anyone have an idea? We actually only had one post Nov. 13. Just curious.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: Most Users Ever?

Postby youngterrier on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:56 pm

I am...skeptical.

Here's the deal: Board Moderator Best of Breed has been MIA for years. This is important, because he owns the domain (I think) and thus all potential protections and upgrades. As a result, we moderators (me and Dungeonjoe) get hundreds of bot attacks *every day.* I have a specific email address for this account just so I don't get them in my IRL email address. By "bot attack" I mean there are hundreds that will try to register a user, but we don't approve them because they would simply post spam about Russian male enhancement pills or something.

So, I don't know how many users at the bottom of the screen are legitimate; I don't know if it includes real accounts that are already approved (which would be good!) or just these bots trying to phish.

Bottom line: there are many many bots that have come after us for some reason over the last 2-3 months and because I don't have access to the domain settings. If I did and 100% knew what I was doing, I would be able to answer this question better. We have less than 150 actual users (we had more, but some of them have been purged from inactivity or for being trolls)

Either way, if you are reading this message and you signed up for an account and it hasn't been approved yet, please email me at joerjames3 at gmail dot com (I'm spelling it out because I don't want bots hacking that either somehow)

And if you're BoB please PM me so we can figure this out. Heck, I'll pay you $20 for the domain.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Re: Most Users Ever?

Postby lawdog on Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:08 pm

Thank you YT for that response, very helpful.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Return to Off Topic Conversations