Samford: Socon championship game part 1

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017, 2018
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017. 2018
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Samford: Socon championship game part 1

Postby boulder3m on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:29 am

The Patriots/Packers game last night showed that a good (great?) QB can pick apart any defense if he is given the time. The ONLY way to slow down or stop a great QB is to rush his throws. It is really very simple. Sit back and eventually he will pick you apart and you will lose; or rush him and make him throw off balance or quickly and you have some chance. Most of the time against Samford we were rushing 2 or 3 guys and getting totally embarrassed. The definiton of insanity comes to mind.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:02 pm

boulder3m wrote:It's hard for me not to compare the Panthers offensive changes to our situation. The Panthers were so predictable before this season, and then suddenly week before last everything changed. When faced with a quick and very good defense the Panthers offensive staff chose to run misdirection plays that totally threw off the Ravens defense. We have arguably the fastest backs in Wofford history. When teams choose to string out our option let's run some misdirection and move the ball to the opposite side of the field. If our offensive line is having trouble blocking the opposition let's help them out a little. It seems so logical and reasonable, and that's why it is so frustrating.

So true. The new, but very seasoned, Panthers OC Norv Turner has made a huge difference. Obviously it has invigorated Cam Newton and the entire offense. You simply have to be able to surprise people some, like Brady (referenced elsewhere) does. .... hit'em where they ain't. We have done that on occasion in the past, but not nearly enough. Does not have to be esoteric; when is the last time we did a simple toss sweep to the likes of Van Cleave?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:03 pm

I'm already really critical of Wade Lang, but I will give him credit: the offense has been better this year than his had been since 2011. Part of that is because we're passing more. Part of it is because we have run more misdirection plays. But at times, I feel like our offense is too predictable.

I think the problem derives from the fact that we seemingly run the option (seemingly) 70% of the time. I'm not against the option, it's just that it depends a lot on QB reads and sometimes, they just aren't there no matter who is reading. We have the personnel to run an offense like Furman does: option when needed, but with multiple plays that run the perimeter, throws to the tight ends and option.

Bottom line: I'm not against the option. The option has a place any offense worth anything. If you have minimal talent, the deception it creates is an outcome equalizer. But if you have a lot of talent and you overuse it, it can be an equalizer to opposing defenses, paradoxically giving them less looks to defend. I feel like we are at that point. I think being a team that plays option principles in its blocking scheme and being run-first is a good strategy for success (look at Furman in the early 2000s). But I think there's a difference between that and being an option-only or blankly option team.

To be fair, I think we've been better this year about expanding the playbook, but it feels like WL collapses into old (bad) habits when the going gets tough. At times Saturday our playcalling was really good. At other times, it seemed bad. I'm inclined to blame it on option playcalling because I actually think WL is a good coach and it makes more sense, given that assumption.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo65 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:12 pm

MM does a better job of running the pure option, but for the last two years, many of us have made the same argument for giving Joe Newman more playing time. Does JN have a nagging injury or has our offensive scheme changed when he is in the game. We all know that JN is a playmaker and can make the option work. Defenses may be keying on JN, but wouldn't they run the same defense when MM is on the field.

My take on the difference between Newman and Mosely is this (and I don't mean it to be overly critical of Newman), but Newman seems to be holding the ball and stringing out his reads because he wants to be the man to make the play. Mosely IMO is running the option purely on instinct, and that is when you see better and more impactful plays made. He innately knows when to turn the ball up and not to carry the ball our further waiting on the defense to commit. For me, that is the advantage Miller has over Joe at this time and why he always sparks the offense to points when he is in the ball game.
WoCo65
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:19 pm

I honestly don't feel like we've run an effective option since Mitch Allen and or Ben Widmyer.

Ben Widmyer was the best QB of division 1 era. Don't @ me.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:13 pm

I am not going to question the staff and the game plan going into the Samford game. Defensively the only think I couldn't understand was the rushing of 2 lineman and spying with 1 LB. Yes we dropped 9 players into coverage but there were blown assignments and we gave Hodges and crew literally 6-8 seconds to run what I call "back yard" routes. And back yard routes are the ones we played as kids. You know where your friend Tony says run to Mrs Smith's mailbox and back to the herby curby and Ill pump fake then throw the long ball. But the elephant in the room was the horrible officiating. On SEVERAL 3rd down plays we had questionable pass interference calls that prolong drives that ended up in TD's. Also the call on the sideline where samfords #6 was called out of bounds on the field but somehow they found enough evidence to overturn the call and rule it a catch (another 3rd down play). Even on offense when we had long runs the unnecessary roughness call when our OL is engaged but the defender happen to trip on his teammates leg.

Offensively this was a game we should have ran the ball till we couldn't anymore. I know not having Blake has hampered Lang's play calling but it was evident in the 2nd half when Samford players were falling like flies we should have been pounding the rock. And I am not talking about QB option game on the perimeter either. The top 4 defenders on Samford's defense left the game due to injury in the 3rd and 4th quarters (20-21)! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know if 2 Frosh \Soph DL are in the game with a back up LB that we should be running power football. Really just line up with 2 TE and smash the ball down their throats! There is no reason Stoddard and Walker shouldn't have gotten more carries in that type situation. Even when Samford scored to go up 28-20 we pressed and felt we needed to score quickly. We went 3 and out and the flood gates opened.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:39 pm

Yeah, I was curious about not pounding with Stoddard too. That's why I think we called option plays and the QBs read in a way that favored not pounding it. That's the only explanation that makes sense in my opinion. We should have just called up straight up handoffs, counters, whatever it takes to run directly at them without reads.

Also, fun fact, 5 of Samford's 8 bye weeks since 2011 have come before they played us.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:13 pm

YT is that a SoCon conspiracy theory! :lol:
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:25 pm

I dunno, it's just weird. I've read in places that the bye week is kind of overrated in terms of raw outcomes. Good coaches actually do worse after a bye and bad ones do better.

An uncharitable reading of that is that Samford needs it to get their one good win of the year, but that's not the case. They're only 3-2 against us and 2-1 at home after the bye. It's really not that much of a difference

I'm personally just frustrated on behalf of the players. They worked hard and it didn't work out and they've lost the last 4 to Samford. Never beat Hodges.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football