Time for Furman Week!

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017, 2018
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017. 2018
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Time for Furman Week!

Postby gofurman on Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:03 pm

I am going to be as nice as I can.. I have been coming here for years as your 'friendly Furman fan'....

You all are classy fans...But I will not abide by this "
Unread postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Oh hell! We have to have that douchebag Sam Wyche as an announcer. Channel 62 called him a legend. What bull. He’s a loser and always will be."
---------------------------------------------------------------

I know Wyche and he is one of the CLASSIEST guys ever. EVER. Sat with his wife at a game recently... classiest couple you can imagine. Not that this really matters but he took the freakin' BENGALS to the superbowl. He INVENTED THE NO-HUDDLE. Stop and think about that for a minute.. He INVENTED a game-changing ploy for which the NFL was not prepared.

Sorry, you can disparage the Paladins etc. but I found this a little much for an NFL coach who then volunteer at Pickens High etc.

And YoungTerrier 'knows' me on AGS board etc. He knows I don't get riled up much and give the Terriers credit. To wit: I think part of the reason FU won is because we FINALLY figured out to avoid the 'Miles Brown' territory :D - and I mean that as a credit to Wofford and Miles Brown !!! We should just avoid that guy and option outside and throw to backs in space out of the backfield. Brown eats up that middle !

You can say Furman got lucky today.. you can say lots of things... but I thought disparaging such a classy man was a little far. Carry on. ( - though I would be interested in your thoughts on this).
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:24 pm

I will definitely say one thing at this point. On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 means I am totally unsure and confused and 10 is very positive, I say the following with a 10. I am not going to throw in the towel on my team. I was totally behind them before this game and have not changed after it even though the outcome was very disappointing. I give a lot of credit to FU. They were the better team and they won fair and square. If I ruffled anybody's feathers then I apologize.
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:05 pm

Agreed: I don't feel as bad about this one as I should. We got beat, but we will learn from it. We have the target on our backs and can't take a day off like we did today.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:20 am

Go Furman, could not agree with you more--Just silly statement on a message Board--
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:34 am

+1
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:40 am

No need to even watch the film on this one fellas. WE flat got out classed and got our butt whipped! From the coaching staff all the way down to the athletic trainers.

Offensively something just didn't feel right about the play calling. When the QB is the leading rusher (21 attempts compared to Stoddard 12, McAfee 4, Morgan 3) in attempts we have a problem. The reluctance to even put Miller Mosely as a change of pace was evident. It was obvious Newman was off his game. The 1st four drives were not pretty. If it wasn't for the defensive penalties we would not have even been close to scoring that first TD. Usually when our staff sees 8 in the box we go off tackle or expose the perimeter. I thought this was the opportune time to make use of our TE's, since it was obvious that Furman committed to just playing the dive and making Newman slow play the pitch game. Furman LB's left middle of field prime for the picking. Our OL was out physical'ed and looked slow against the active ends of FU. When was the last time we have seen a Wofford team not get multiple 3rd/4h and 1's? I love Newman but I don't give him 20 pass attempts and 21 rush attempts. That's 41 of 60 plays called that went through him. Our big play guys (McAffe and Morgan) touched the ball a combined 9 times (2 in the air, 7 on the ground) .

Defensively, we have to find a way to limit the RB out of the backfield matched up against a LB. Last year FU exposed us but could not complete the passes in the playoffs. NDSU watched the film and dissected our defense with it, and Wyoming went to the weakness on its game winning drive. I personally loved the look at the beginning of the season where we replaced a LB with an extra DB. We didn't do it vs FU this week and we paid for it. The offense put us in some bad spots, but like Coach Conklin says we have to limit teams to FG's in those predicaments. Our Defense gave up 5 TD's and one of them a game killing 10 minute 3rd quarter drive. I see no problem running zone coverages, but we have to not be as predictable on Defense. How about some mixture of cloud coverages as well as Man Zone coverages? Its predictable and easy for me as a fan to see cover 3 and know our CB's have deep third and backpedaling... so it has to be much easier for a QB to look to the sideline and have the opposing coach signal to throw a 5-8 yard out route. Its time to expand the defensive playbook!
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:12 pm

WocoSix wrote:No need to even watch the film on this one fellas. WE flat got out classed and got our butt whipped! From the coaching staff all the way down to the athletic trainers.

Offensively something just didn't feel right about the play calling. When the QB is the leading rusher (21 attempts compared to Stoddard 12, McAfee 4, Morgan 3) in attempts we have a problem. The reluctance to even put Miller Mosely as a change of pace was evident. It was obvious Newman was off his game. The 1st four drives were not pretty. If it wasn't for the defensive penalties we would not have even been close to scoring that first TD. Usually when our staff sees 8 in the box we go off tackle or expose the perimeter. I thought this was the opportune time to make use of our TE's, since it was obvious that Furman committed to just playing the dive and making Newman slow play the pitch game. Furman LB's left middle of field prime for the picking. Our OL was out physical'ed and looked slow against the active ends of FU. When was the last time we have seen a Wofford team not get multiple 3rd/4h and 1's? I love Newman but I don't give him 20 pass attempts and 21 rush attempts. That's 41 of 60 plays called that went through him. Our big play guys (McAffe and Morgan) touched the ball a combined 9 times (2 in the air, 7 on the ground) .

Defensively, we have to find a way to limit the RB out of the backfield matched up against a LB. Last year FU exposed us but could not complete the passes in the playoffs. NDSU watched the film and dissected our defense with it, and Wyoming went to the weakness on its game winning drive. I personally loved the look at the beginning of the season where we replaced a LB with an extra DB. We didn't do it vs FU this week and we paid for it. The offense put us in some bad spots, but like Coach Conklin says we have to limit teams to FG's in those predicaments. Our Defense gave up 5 TD's and one of them a game killing 10 minute 3rd quarter drive. I see no problem running zone coverages, but we have to not be as predictable on Defense. How about some mixture of cloud coverages as well as Man Zone coverages? Its predictable and easy for me as a fan to see cover 3 and know our CB's have deep third and backpedaling... so it has to be much easier for a QB to look to the sideline and have the opposing coach signal to throw a 5-8 yard out route. Its time to expand the defensive playbook!

Very well said. We will learn from this and be better in the long run.

When your running backs are averaging 8.8 yards per carry, and the quarterback is averaging much less than half of that, the wrong plays/reads are happening.
Last edited by lawdog on Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:24 pm

I agree mostly with what six said but I'm going to refer to him and others to my other post in the other thread about Newman.

TL;DR Furman's DC knows how to scheme against the option better than other teams, and the problem had more to do with relying on inflexibility and option as a base set for most of our play calling IMO.

There's a good post on AGS in one of the socon/game threads about what Furman's DC does to stop the option and just from a raw execution standpoint you can see the difference from them and other teams we've played this year.

I think this year may be more of a "rebuilding" or slightly slump year on defense than we thought. We lost a lot of talent and a lot of starts/depth at outside linebacker. We're also changing up our coverage scheme. If it's as predictable as six says it is (I don't have an eye for that sort of thing) that suggests to me that we are trying to not throw as much new stuff at our players. The secondary is the most experienced unit on the team and I could see why radically changing things up could cause problems. Put another way, if most of our coverage has always been zone, the most experienced players on the defense are the most out of habit of doing it. Most coaching is about building habits and deprogramming them is hard. I could be blowing smoke on this though
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:32 pm

YT Im just going to comment on the FU scoring TD's and big plays. From what I saw on both Furman's RB out of the back field had to do with eye discipline. When our OLB has back side containment he has to do a better job at identifying the THREAT and not the QB. By that I mean if the QB is rolling away then you must identify a RB/TE/WR trying to setup for screen or swing route.

On the drag pass we actually ran bump and run man but the problem was we give away too many free releases from the line of scrimmage. Our LB's and safeties let WR's run freely across the field with out any obstruction. Same thing happen at Wyoming on the game winner. There is a 5-8 yard zone you can push/shove/redirect the opposing teams WR and TE and throw off there timing. From what I've seen we don't utilize it. And in both cases (FU and Wyoming) the WR ran across field without anyone touching them.

Compared to last seasons playoff game we forced the edges. On Furman's QB option score our LB tried to slow play but our safeties kept getting caught up in the trash. Again an eye discipline issue and another learning experience for an underclassmen OLB. if any are interested Furman's #30 did a great job showing how to aggressively slow play and string out the option.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:55 am

Unfortunately, I have almost gotten used to poor performances in Greenville. I'm not sure why that happens, Furman is not a particularly hostile atmosphere. Much like Gibbs, the stands aren't full or particularly loud. But, we have had very good teams perform poorly there.

I blame the loss primarily on the defense. It is rare to give up 5 touchdowns and win a game (unless you're Western Carolina or Samford). It seemed that we were committed to stopping the run up the middle and the QB and completely forgot about the running backs. We were unable to make corrections at halftime. Hopefully our coaches are addressing this this afternoon.

What bothers me most is that the offense was uninspired. Our offensive strategy seemed to be to having Joe Newman take the ball outside and make something happen. It felt like Furman usually knew exactly where we were going to run. I know we play plain vanilla early in the season, and it is usually effective against Gardner Webb, but last Saturday it felt like when Plan A didn't work there was no Plan B.

I'm surprised Miller Mosley didn't play. Not because Joe Newman played poorly (he did the best he could with the blocking available to him), but because MM runs a somewhat more classical version of the option, and the change of pace may have thrown the defense off a little.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:48 am

I also think we played pretty unfocused and overconfident. The team didn't even come out of the tunnel at the same time at the beginning and (with respect) Coach Conklin's comments pregame (as seen on inside wofford football) suggested a little bit of overconfidence as well in that we're talking about celebrating making plays instead of fighting for them.

Because there is some psychology research that shows that teams that celebrate with each other more often than those who don't have more benefits(it's a whole off topic thing) I could see what CJC was going for with this as not being an intentional confidence thing. I can tell he's a wonky guy and I love it because I'm a wonky guy. But, I still think it gave the players the wrong impression.

Again, I could be blowing smoke through all of this, but these little data points combined with us being "off" for most of the day really makes me think we were overconfident in ways I have not seen us play in a long time. Not since....Furman 2011
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:12 pm

I apologize for my comments on Sam Wyche. He just bothers me because he tends to trend pro Furman on broadcasts that should be completely neutral but that ‘s no excuse to call him a loser like I did. When I do junk like this I am the loser.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:30 pm

Wyche is unabashedly pro-Furman; always has been. He certainly has the credentials, but I'm not a fan of his style even if I ignore the purple colored glasses.
SoCon Champs '03 '07 '10 '12 '17 '18
FCS Playoffs '03 '07 '08 '10 '11 '12 '16 '17 '18
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48 '49 '50 '51 '52 '54 '56 '57 '61 '62 '63 '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football