SoCon results

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: SoCon results

Postby boulder3m on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:04 pm

Switched over and watched the ETSU/Citadel game. Tied 9-9, ETSU scored a TD. Kicked off to Cit, and the receiver caught it a yard deep in the end zone and for some reason tried to run it out. Then he cut completely across the field and was hammered at the 10; fumbled and lost it (but the officials said he was down). WHY do any kick receivers return the ball from inside the end zone. Guaranteed that if you average the yards gained past the 25 and the yards lost short of the 25 you would have been better off taking it out to the 25. In addition, there are injuries (like the Cit ball carrier) and fumbles lost. If I were a head coach I believe I would bench any returner making that mistake.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby BubbaDog on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:27 pm

Yeah, they've changed the rules to pretty take returns out of the game, but people still try it for some reason. For every 1 good return there are probably at least 5 that start inside the 15.
BubbaDog
2012 Pickem Champ

Postby boulder3m on Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:31 pm

Lots of upsets in the national FCS games. It is shaping up like previous years, with SD St perhaps the interloper. Surprising how far Montana and Youngstown St have fallen. The SoCon is wide open, and there are probably 5 teams capable of winning the autobid. Furman is back in the hunt and Sammy is on a mission. ETSU now has the ball in their court. I see that Elon lost their QB and other injuries are beginning to pile up around the conference and nation.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:50 pm

Socon is crazy this year.

This may come as blasphemy on here but I think the best chance we have as a conference to get 3 in (including us) is with Furman as the autobid, us at 9-2 and ETSU at 8-3, with Chatt in the cold at 7-4.

Socon needs to not cannibalize each other and the best way to do that is to not have a seeded team in the Carolinas.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:45 am

Your point is right on. A week ago it looked like the SoCon might be a one bid league. With Eastern Washington getting knocked off and Elon going down we are essentially back to the FCS of old. Not sure anyone can keep up with the Dakotas and JMU.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:30 pm

After today what has cleared up? Well, if what gofurman says is a fact then Furman is through. Furman was either in the lead or close until the interceptions made the roof cave in. Mercer and Western was close most of the way as well, and then Mercer exploded. Is there a team with more heart than VMI. It seems that week in and out they battle to a close loss. Next week Sammy has the bye and Wofford and Mercer play a potential elimination game (again). Even if we beat Mercer next week we have to go the next week to WCU-a very unfriendly place to us. It sure looks as if we could be headed for a winner takes all game against Sammy on NOV 3-just like we thought it might be before the season started. This league makes head scratching feel normal. It is hard to see any team coming out of the SoCon and going far, however.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football