2018-19 Season Forecast

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: 2018-19 Season Forecast

Postby Atldog7 on Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:07 pm

That's probably why there has not been a lot of chatter. There hasn't been a lot of info coming out from the team. That may be intentional for UNC sake. I think you can definitely pencil Fletch, Cam and Storm as starters. After that, it's hard to know. Stumpe would probably start as the glue guy with either Goodwin or ALuma as another big against UNC. But... we cold do what we did last year and go 4 guards a good bit which would give Hoover, Hollowell or even a guy like Messiah a crack at it. It's a good problem to have in that we have a lot of talent and I suspect the starting lineup will be somewhat dependent on who we play and what their starting 5 looks like.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:11 pm

No doubt Ol Roy will want to try to teach us a lesson, after last year.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:46 pm

I'm sure the coverage from Todd will kick in after tomorrow's football game.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:08 am

This week's "Sports Illustrated"features an article predicting the team's for March Madness 2019. The Terriers are tabbed as team #57 in the dance, thus projecting we win the So Con. Quote: "Fletcher Magee. The 6'4" Wofford senior guard can flat-out shoot, connecting on 43.9% of his threes. Magee dropped 28 in the Terriers' upset of the UNC last year; he gets another shot at the Heels on Nov.6."

Disclaimer: I'm disregarding any SI jinx for our upcoming season. Looking forward to watching the broadcast Tuesday. Hope those who attend help pull us thru...who would have ever imagined such talk: back to back seasons beating the vaunted Tar Heels! Unreal.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:26 am

Here in NC everyone I see assumes I am going to the game. I ask if they have tickets to the UNC/Duke games, because at Wofford it is the same thing! How great it is to host a program like UNC at the JRIS. I hope someone at Wofford is recording evey great team that comes into the building, and that some great photos go on the walls.
A friend who is a sports photographer who often does UNC photos couldn't get a press pass, which shows how tough this ticket is. It would be interesting to know how many press passes have been given. The big schools are used to this, but Wofford has absolutely NO experience; so I am guessing there are some angry prima donnas out there.
Some of the major polls have UNC as high as second in the rankings, with the major one being the poll projecting the NCAA tournament. Interesting that Duke, with possibly the five best freshmen ever on the same team, is not in the top ten.
UNCG, also retuning virtually all of their team from last year, is still the SoCon favorite and rightly so. Our team can be very good, but they will be hard pressed. The Southern Conference deserves a little more respect than in the past. Is this the year we get more than one team in the tournament? That's still quite a leap, with so much pressure to give spots to the Power 5 conferences.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:53 pm

Students will be camping out for tickets overnight. I hope we get some national coverage of that!
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:42 am

I am so ready for another college basketball season! Men’s NCAA basketball is my favorite sport. Tuesday is the official start of the season for most folks and I have had it circled on the calendar for a long time. I am anxious to see how we do against UNC in our house after having upset them last season...it might be tougher this time around as the Heels will be ready and won’t overlook us. But the TERRIERS will be ready too and JRIS should be rocking! One of the things I always looked forward to is seeing how the new guys can contribute to the team and we have a number of promising newcomers. So let’s get this party started!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:56 am

I hope our fans are realistic. To play well Tuesday would be my hope. Winning is a pipe dream. I would think that Wofford would like to show off the building and its program in a light that would help us as a school. Just winning a game is not what this is all about. For Mike Young and Richard Johnson to pull off having UNC come to our building to play is really a big deal, and I hope our fans will appreciate that. Next, Duke!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:56 pm

Rec'd a pic today of students in blankets, sleeping bags, etc. outside the JRIS for a chance to get tix for Tuesday's game. Tried to post the jpg here; but, have been unsuccessful. Glad to share; send me a PM.

As Hobo and a couple others mentioned, I remember games in Andrews FH. To think that:

1. Wofford would have beaten UNC in men's basketball at the Dean Dome...and
2. Wofford hosts the TarHeels at the JRIS on Tuesday

...are milestones (dreams???) indicating how far the program has progressed.

To quote the Red Sox's hall-of-fame announcer's call: "Can you believe it?"

Go Terriers!
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:21 pm

boulder3m wrote:I hope our fans are realistic. To play well Tuesday would be my hope. Winning is a pipe dream. I would think that Wofford would like to show off the building and its program in a light that would help us as a school. Just winning a game is not what this is all about. For Mike Young and Richard Johnson to pull off having UNC come to our building to play is really a big deal, and I hope our fans will appreciate that. Next, Duke!

Very good post. Shows a very good perspective to have on Tuesday’s game.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:56 pm

Wow, really disappointed that the basketball game on Saturday is at 2 and the football game is at 3. Let's see, if we go to the basketball game and I have my phone on TuneIn with my headset then I can watch the basktball game and listen to the first half of the football game and hustle back home and see the second half of the football game...

As for us playing High Point: They have hired Tubby Smith to coach HP as his coaching swan song. HP is building a super new facility that will house a new arena and lots of other stuff. The idea is for Tubby to be the centerpiece and be the coach who brings in the new building. HP does have a history of some pretty impressive basketball players, dating back to before Tubby was a player.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:08 pm

I understand one of Tubby's first official acts at HP was to write the school a million-dollar check.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:57 am

lawdog wrote:I understand one of Tubby's first official acts at HP was to write the school a million-dollar check.

If it was just $1 million then that would make him a minor donor up there. High Point's President has been raising mega bucks and building new stuff all over campus. Maybe they can sustain it or maybe they will be "all sizzle and no steak". Either way, Wofford should have a good shot in this game, but with Tubby Smith on board, High Point will likely be on the way up over the next few years.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball