Terrier Club membership

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Terrier Club membership

Postby dungeonjoe on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:06 pm

Of the Terrier faithful on the board, have you joined the Terrier club yet?

I joined this morning for 2006.

What do you think of the Terrier club perks?

What other perks could Wofford give at the different giving levels?
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Pawpower1995 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:51 am

I am planning on joining in the next few weeks, and getting season tickets for the first time. I have been giving money to Clemson "IPTAY" for 11 years. Well over the past 4 years, I have seen my season tickets climb by over $300, and that is for four tickets. Iptay increased my membership level by $200 each year. I did not want to do this, but the IPTAY board felt and overall increase was needed. My wife and I have three kids, and have wanted to get an additional season ticket for the youngest. Well since Clemson increased ticket prices, my total season tickets were going to cost my $1500.00 for one year! Season tickets are now $299.00 each, this includes a $24.00 few for the West Endzone, shich I do not sit in. The West Endzone changes and additions were to be funded off of donations. NOW every season ticket holder is paying for it!

Sorry to ramble, but I had to get that off my chest. SO, this year will be the first of MANY to come for me and my family. We only live 15 miles from Wofford. I have not decided which level to give at as of yet. I have thought of giving at the $500 level, so my wife and I can also be in the "PUPS" program. We have a combined age of 67, so we are under that 90 combined age limit.

Is anyone else in the "Pups" program. and how do you like it?

We want to park near the stadium, since we have three children ages 11, 7, and 4. I understand they have an play area for kids before games. We also love to tailgate, listen to Jimmy Buffet, and cookout before games.

Please also give me some postives about the different levels, "PUPS", tailgating, kids areas, and anything else you can think of.
Pawpower1995

Postby fgs44 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:15 am

The Terrier Club is absolutely essential to the the continued competitiveness of the athletic program. It is my understanding that it does more than any other support group in the Southern Conference, including those schools with the huge alumni base. Each year, though because of rising costs, we have to raise more money. My personal goal is to contribute a minimum of 10% more than my contribution from the previous year. Not everyone is in a position to do that; however, I would strongly urge those that are to consider that as a goal. I think the athletic department staff is doing an outstanding job in recruiting the kinds of people that are motivated both on the athletic field and in the classroom, and can really benefit from the opportunity afforded by a scholarship. I, for one, know that I would never have been able to attend a college like Wofford were it not for my football scholarship.
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:00 am

I agree, Terrier Club participation is key. I'm not sure about all the other SoCon schools, but I know the Terrier Club raises more than at least some fot he bigger schools and in some cases substantially more. But, they can get away with that because of the differential between their tuition and ours.

That being said, we as fans need to accept the challenge to help make up that difference and the College needs to take up the challenge of raising aditional funds and creating other programs to help fill needs as well. I believe this is happening on both accounts, but based off what I've seen the past couple years, I think we are in a "treading water" situation at best.

In my opinion, Wofford as a whole needs to open up more to the surrounding area and lure in more community support like Furman and The Citadel have done. Those schools are not much larger than Wofford, yet they average at least 50% more people at their football games. I realize Charleston and Greenville are larger cities than Spartanburg, but I don't think that is the problem. Some of it in Furman's case may be that they have been so successful for so long and El Cid is the only game in town, but either way, more community fan base is essential. If Wofford thinks it can continue to grow in fan base, financial support, reputation and attention they can not count on alumni alone unless they want to drastically increase the size of the school which I think we'd all oppose.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:49 pm

Eyes of Old Main wrote:I agree, Terrier Club participation is key. I'm not sure about all the other SoCon schools, but I know the Terrier Club raises more than at least some fot he bigger schools and in some cases substantially more. But, they can get away with that because of the differential between their tuition and ours.

That being said, we as fans need to accept the challenge to help make up that difference and the College needs to take up the challenge of raising aditional funds and creating other programs to help fill needs as well. I believe this is happening on both accounts, but based off what I've seen the past couple years, I think we are in a "treading water" situation at best.

In my opinion, Wofford as a whole needs to open up more to the surrounding area and lure in more community support like Furman and The Citadel have done. Those schools are not much larger than Wofford, yet they average at least 50% more people at their football games. I realize Charleston and Greenville are larger cities than Spartanburg, but I don't think that is the problem. Some of it in Furman's case may be that they have been so successful for so long and El Cid is the only game in town, but either way, more community fan base is essential. If Wofford thinks it can continue to grow in fan base, financial support, reputation and attention they can not count on alumni alone unless they want to drastically increase the size of the school which I think we'd all oppose.

The Citadel is the only game in town in Charleston? I have to say that statement is a bit off, as there are 100 times the number of things to do on a Saturday in Charleston. I know because I grew up in Spartanburg but live in Charleston now. Wofford is definitely the only game in town in Spartanburg, so I don't think that is the problem. Citadel and Furman have been SoCon teams for years and years. They have storied histories and good teams come to play them there. As for Wofford, remember we haven't even been D-I for that long (11 yrs), so mediocre success over the last 10 years and very little history hasn't been enough to lure community fans to Wofford yet. I bet Furman's game attendance went through the roof after they won it all in 1988. History and success are the keys.

Above all, though, Spartanburg is a High School Football mecca, with Spartan High, Dorman, and Byrnes having tremendous success. The education and economic level of Spartanburg is much different than Greenville or Charleston, as well. $15-20 per ticket is a lot for most families in Spartanburg. How else do you explain that 10-12k fans pour in for Spartan high games but only half of that show up for Wofford games...just my observations
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Terriertime on Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:43 pm

I agree, $15-20 is a bit much for a 1-AA game. Also, I think the outside community views Wofford for the most part as snobby, which in reality is far from the truth. The outside perception is very differnt from the actual college, and I think we need to work to bridge that gap.

As far as the Terrier Club goes, I am proud to say my family is a part of it. I have no problem donating money, because I know my money is being put to good use with quality kids who are going to class, and doing everything the coaches expect them to do. I know my money isn't being wasted, and the kids at Wofford really do appreciate the tremendous opportunity they've been given. I would encourage everyone to donate to the Terrier Club because it is a solid invevestment in the lives of so many kids futures. Go Terriers!
Terriertime

Postby dungeonjoe on Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:49 pm

Pawpower1995 wrote:I am planning on joining in the next few weeks, and getting season tickets for the first time. I have been giving money to Clemson "IPTAY" for 11 years. Well over the past 4 years, I have seen my season tickets climb by over $300, and that is for four tickets. Iptay increased my membership level by $200 each year. I did not want to do this, but the IPTAY board felt and overall increase was needed. My wife and I have three kids, and have wanted to get an additional season ticket for the youngest. Well since Clemson increased ticket prices, my total season tickets were going to cost my $1500.00 for one year! Season tickets are now $299.00 each, this includes a $24.00 few for the West Endzone, shich I do not sit in. The West Endzone changes and additions were to be funded off of donations. NOW every season ticket holder is paying for it!

Sorry to ramble, but I had to get that off my chest. SO, this year will be the first of MANY to come for me and my family. We only live 15 miles from Wofford. I have not decided which level to give at as of yet. I have thought of giving at the $500 level, so my wife and I can also be in the "PUPS" program. We have a combined age of 67, so we are under that 90 combined age limit.

Is anyone else in the "Pups" program. and how do you like it?

We want to park near the stadium, since we have three children ages 11, 7, and 4. I understand they have an play area for kids before games. We also love to tailgate, listen to Jimmy Buffet, and cookout before games.

Please also give me some postives about the different levels, "PUPS", tailgating, kids areas, and anything else you can think of.

time to come home, raise those kids in the Wofford way! Bring cardboard and let them slide down the hill!
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby ShortHairedDog on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:27 am

My wife and I joined the Pups Club last year and we are definitely going to join again this year. We don't have any children so I cannot give feedback on that, but the tailgating is great. If you get there early enough, you can get the first row in the lot and be right behind the stadium with lots of room to spread out. You also get invitations and tickets to many events throughout the year(some focusing on children). All in all, it is a great investment.

Regarding fan base, I think I heard somewhere that the number of Wofford living alumni would not fill Gibbs Stadium. That is one of the issues. Yes, Furman is small, but it is still three times as big as Wofford. Also, I think someone touched on tradition. I think with the recent success of the program, there has been a peek in interest, but I still get so frustrated with the crowd. It is such a wine and cheese crowd where standing up and cheering is just unheard of. And I know it is the "Wofford Way", but 5% of the crowd doesn't even make it in the stadium. They stay in the Veranda lot and party. And don't even get me started on the student section that is empty during the second half of almost every game. I guess growing up going to Clemson games has shaped my perspective of how a college football game should be. I just wish Wofford games were more like football games rather than social events.
-ShortHairedDog
ShortHairedDog
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:35 pm

If everyone that was watching the game was in the stadium, then the Wofford side would usually be filled; however, the "wine and cheese" crowd that fills the Verandah lot also contributes a lot of money to the Terrier Club. I've forgotten what the minimum contribution is in order to get on a waiting list for a spot, but it may be $5,000.00. In any event, if Wofford gets on a roll with wins in the first two games, then I expect us to have a good year with attendance. The third home game is with Furman, and that should be close to a sell-out since that will be ours, and Furmans first conference game. They will bring a large contingent--
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby ShortHairedDog on Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:01 pm

fgs44 wrote:If everyone that was watching the game was in the stadium, then the Wofford side would usually be filled; however, the "wine and cheese" crowd that fills the Verandah lot also contributes a lot of money to the Terrier Club. I've forgotten what the minimum contribution is in order to get on a waiting list for a spot, but it may be $5,000.00. In any event, if Wofford gets on a roll with wins in the first two games, then I expect us to have a good year with attendance. The third home game is with Furman, and that should be close to a sell-out since that will be ours, and Furmans first conference game. They will bring a large contingent--

I was referring to the Verandah lot folks seperately as not being in the stadium. Wofford fans as a whole(in or out of the stadium) just don't seem to get excited about their team when they are on the field.

I know there have been games that draw a lot of fans, but I have more of a problem with the attitude of our fans. Does anyone else notice how much louder the opposing teams' fans are when they come out on the field? I don't know, it is just something that has always bothered me.
-ShortHairedDog
ShortHairedDog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:42 pm

I think you will find a direct correlation between fan vocality and the number of empty beer cans in the parking lot at half time.
Seriously, I believe that the reasons our fans are considered some of the most polite are the same as why they are not as vocal in their support. Go to Furman and you will find the same thing. I too at times wish we were more vocal but then again I enjoy not having a bunch of obnoxious drunks yelling nonsensically the entire game and trashing the opponents as they leave. There has never been an atmosphere at Wofford football games like those 2 playoff games, esp. v. Western Kentucky.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:25 am

Maybe if Ruckus will start living up to his name and raising a ruckus, we can get some spirit going--What say you Ruckus?
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:46 am

BossTerrier wrote:The Citadel is the only game in town in Charleston? I have to say that statement is a bit off, as there are 100 times the number of things to do on a Saturday in Charleston. I know because I grew up in Spartanburg but live in Charleston now. Wofford is definitely the only game in town in Spartanburg, so I don't think that is the problem. Citadel and Furman have been SoCon teams for years and years. They have storied histories and good teams come to play them there. As for Wofford, remember we haven't even been D-I for that long (11 yrs), so mediocre success over the last 10 years and very little history hasn't been enough to lure community fans to Wofford yet. I bet Furman's game attendance went through the roof after they won it all in 1988. History and success are the keys.

Above all, though, Spartanburg is a High School Football mecca, with Spartan High, Dorman, and Byrnes having tremendous success. The education and economic level of Spartanburg is much different than Greenville or Charleston, as well. $15-20 per ticket is a lot for most families in Spartanburg. How else do you explain that 10-12k fans pour in for Spartan high games but only half of that show up for Wofford games...just my observations

Why are people from Charleston so edgy about any perceived slight to their city? I wasn't talking about all the other stuff to do, I was talking about the fact that no other college football exists within 75 miles (Charleston Southern excluded, but do you really want to argue about them?). Charleston citizens have embraced The Citadel as their own in a way much greater than almost anything Wofford gets from the general populace of Spartanburg. Furman and Greenville are also way ahead of us. The central question is how does Wofford attract non-alumni fans to its games? Furman does, The Citadel does, SC State does.

As for the history of success, true Furman probably has picked up a number of bandwagon fans over the years, but when was the last time The Citadel had a competitive team. They were pretty good in 2003 until we thrashed them, but besides that, they have been down since the Charlie Taaffe years. As for Wofford's history, success on the field has only nominally been mirrored in the stands.

As for high school football, I had forgotten about the hordes that come visit Wofford for Spartanburg High games. But, as you said, the economic situations may make it tougher for some of those fans to also attend Wofford games. I wonder how many have been to a Wofford game? I don't really care how good Spartanburg or Dorman are, I guarantee that Wofford plays a better level of football for obvious reasons. Perhaps, and this may be a bad comparison but, if Wofford started to spend more time and energy trying to bring area people into games as a part of low cost promotions perhaps more would see the product Wofford puts on the field and be interested in attending more regularly.

In all, I'm not saying Wofford is doing a bad job, just that they need to think outside the box more and realize that no one understands the Wofford Way unless they actually attend or visit Wofford. The College needs to continue to find new ways to open up to the community and region and bring people onto campus, whether for an athletic event or something else, for the first time. The more new vistiors Wofford has, the more people will realize that Wofford isn't a snobbish or elitist place and hopefully more will become interested in becoming a part of things.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:52 am

Ruckus wrote:I think you will find a direct correlation between fan vocality and the number of empty beer cans in the parking lot at half time.
Seriously, I believe that the reasons our fans are considered some of the most polite are the same as why they are not as vocal in their support. Go to Furman and you will find the same thing. I too at times wish we were more vocal but then again I enjoy not having a bunch of obnoxious drunks yelling nonsensically the entire game and trashing the opponents as they leave. There has never been an atmosphere at Wofford football games like those 2 playoff games, esp. v. Western Kentucky.

Right on target, Ruckus. The social aspects of Wofford football games seem to take over don't they? Sometimes I sit in Gibbs and wonder if we should have crowd noise piped in over the loud speakers. But, I guess that's the trade off for not having half the crowd trashed out of their mind.

Good call on the Western Kentucky game too. That was the best crowd I've ever seen at Wofford both in terms of attendence and crowd participation. The result was nice too! The only bad thing was the weather which was arctic at best.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby ShortHairedDog on Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:08 pm

Ruckus wrote:I think you will find a direct correlation between fan vocality and the number of empty beer cans in the parking lot at half time.

Point well made. The Western Kentucky game was great. I would like to see another second round playoff game in Gibbs this year!
-ShortHairedDog
ShortHairedDog
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football