Georgia Southern in 2006

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Georgia Southern in 2006

Postby Terriertime on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:21 pm

I was just reading the GSU message board. Their spring practice starts Saturday, and many people on their board think VanGorder is going to be the second coming of Bear Bryant. I'm sorry, I just don't see them winning 10-11 games as many of their fans are predicting. Yes, they have the athletes to win 6-7 games just by showing up, but I just don't see them being an elite team in the conference with a new coach, a new system, and a new QB (who will have never played a snap in college). Maybe it's just the diehard fan in me that's hoping they're not dominant, but I think they struggle next year. Word is, VanGorder really cleaned house and got got rid of several scholarship players. Whatever happens, his arrival will make things very interesting...
Terriertime

Postby walliver on Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:57 am

I visit the GSU board frequently, and many of the posters have messianic hopes about Van Gorder, but there has always been a somewhat cult-like attitude on TSC-sports.com. The words of St. Erk are frequently quoted like scripture, and even though St. BVG has yet to coach a single down, he is quoted like scripture.

I don't see GSU beating Furman or ASU, but they have the raw talent to be competitive in every other game they play. Unfortunately, we play them late in the season this year, after they have had time to adjust to their new system.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:01 pm

Beware, the shadow of St. Erk looms large in Statesboro...

I expect GSU to be very good this year. Maybe not Paul Johnson good, but at least as good as Sewak's best. They still have the talent and resources and new blood to shake things up usually is not a bad thing. Since their players will have a full spring practice to learn the new system, I don't see that as a drawback and having a new QB may be better than having to retrain an experienced one. Time will tell, but I expect the Eagles to lose no fewer than a couple conference games. I just hope we are one of the loses.

It would be interesting if things went poorly, though. GSU fans are OK with loses to Furman and Appalachian since they perceive them as worthy competitors. They are just starting to view Wofford that way and definately do not feel that way about some of the other up and coming programs in the SoCon. I'd love to see the furor created by their fans if they dropped a few games to teams like Wofford, Western Carolina, or Chattanooga.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eagle22 on Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:06 am

Losses to either UTC or WCU in '06 will set off some fireworks in the 'Boro, no doubt .... but that happens any time our football program registers a "L".

Schemes aside, the chief reason there is hope amongst the Eagle faithful is there is a palpable return of discipline to the team ... something that has been absent over the past four years. Lack of discipline on and off the field has really hurt the strides of our program made under Erk Russell and Paul Johnson in particular.

While it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out in VanGorder's first season, there is already a lot of evidence in how things are being structured, to see that he brings not only a winning attitude but a real sense of calm to the team. Sewak was a fine person, I supported him 100% while he was coaching our team, however he never seemed comfortable under fire, or when the game was on the line w/ little time remaining.

It may all end up being just a charade, and VanGorder may end up a dud of a head coach, but somehow I seriously doubt it.

Our early season matchups on the road in 'Nooga and Cullowhee will be key, especially our game @ WCU. Our defense is the biggest question mark, in my mind .... despite the obvious changes on the offensive side of the ball. All of our secondary will be first time starters, and while we have a couple of key transfers on both sides of the ball, it will be vitally important for our secondary to weather those first few games where I expect us to be tested.
Eagle22

Return to Football