Men's Spring Soccer

Men's SoCon Regular Season Champs - 2009
Men's SoCon Tournament Champs - 2009
Men's SoCon Regulat Season Champs 2013

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Men's Spring Soccer

Postby phleach01 on Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:41 pm

A new era begins today as new Heach Coach Polson takes the Terrier's to the field at 4 PM for the first day of Spring Practice. Should be an exciting time for the team with a new coach and the return to the pitch of several injuryed players (Nick, Moe, Philips, etc.) from the Fall season. I understand the team has really taken to heart their off-season training in preparation for a excellent Spring season. Look for the Terriers to play a new style of soccer we haven't seen over the last six :) years. Early '08 prediction...WC finish SoCon in top five!
phleach01

Postby lawdog on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:03 am

Hope you're right...I think there is some talent there.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Stewie Griffin on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:36 am

If a tree falls, and there's nobody to hear it, does it make a sound?

If Wofford drops soccer, will anyone care?

I say we drop soccer and put the money into football.
Stewie Griffin

Postby thDOGno's on Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:16 am

I say we (Terriers) drop back and punt you!!! I love the dog's football program, yet these guys are just as deserving as the boys in pads (football).

This (Wofford College) team deserves the same support as any.
thDOGno's

soccer

Postby lawdog on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:33 am

"will anyone care?"

I think the SoCon will care, since I believe we need to have it to be in the leage (I may be wrong). In any event, I and any others who are familiar with the sport would care.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

If,

Postby gaterrier on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:21 am

If Stewie Griffin left the board would anybody give a rat's a$$?
"BENIFICIENT"
gaterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dogg on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:14 pm

Stewie Griffin wrote:If a tree falls, and there's nobody to hear it, does it make a sound?

If Wofford drops soccer, will anyone care?

I say we drop soccer and put the money into football.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Why, does the football program need new socks?

In all seriousness, which the above quote surely is not. There will be marked improvement in the program, significant tactical improvements and a tremendous improvement in the alumni support for the team. Polson will give us much of what we have lacked for many years now.......

Also, do not be surprised to see specific donations made directly to the soccer program from pleased Terrier alumni!
T-Dogg

Postby Ruckus on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:20 pm

Soccer is a communist sport.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Re: soccer

Postby Rowdy on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:37 pm

lawdog wrote:"will anyone care?"

I think the SoCon will care, since I believe we need to have it to be in the leage (I may be wrong). In any event, I and any others who are familiar with the sport would care.

If Davidson, C of C, and UNCG don't have to have football, do you really think we would have to have Soccer to stay in the conference?
Rowdy

Postby oldT-Dog on Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:42 am

I'm not going to debate the virtues of soccer and wether or not we should keep it as a men's sport as it is here to stay. I recall being at Wofford during the Rick Gilstrap days and wondering why we kept football as there were plenty of schools like UNCG and Erskine doing fine without it.

I did just return from the Alumni weekend and the team looks to be in great hands. The current team beat the alumni 9-0. This was essentially the same team that lost to the alumni 1-0 last Spring. Polson has them playing a much more aggressive and attacking style that utilizes the speed they posses up front.

Nobody on the team has transferred during the coaching transition and I have heard we will have 4-5 recruits including 2 or 3 that decided to stay committed during the transition.

I have also heard that our starting goalkeeper, Senior Joey Taylor, has the potential to be a legitimate draft pick at the next level. He should fair well with a year of instruction from Polson, a former goalkeeper himself.

For me the results this weekend help confirm that the current team has some high quality players, it in great hands under Ralph Polson and as noted before recruiting was not the previous coaches problem.

I hope more alumni will now be on board with supporting the team and the program.
oldT-Dog
True Terrier Fan

Postby TP T-Dog on Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:50 am

Ruckus wrote:Soccer is a communist sport.

You are an idiot. If you cannot say something intelligent, it is best to keep quiet.
TP T-Dog
Junior Terrier

Postby Ruckus on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:42 pm

Perhaps, comrade, if you don't have a sense of humor, it would be best that YOU keep quiet before calling someone you don't know an idiot. Then again, it may take more intelligence than you possess to have a sense of humor.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon May 05, 2008 10:35 am

I for one am very excited to see how the soccer team will do...I have a good feeling about it. Soccer is a heck of a sport, once you sort of understand the rules. It puts a premium on conditioning, perseverence, heart and skill.....size does not matter.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Return to Soccer