Wofford 2006 Football Signees

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Postby Ruckus on Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:31 pm

We lost a kid from Conway to Coastal this year.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:20 pm

I am glad to see Wofford get some recruits from around the country as well, although most of the players the Terriers get from outside their usual recruiting areas (SC, NC, GA, Eastern TN, Southern OH) seem to come after signing day. Plus, since most of them seem to turn into star players, I would attribute it to superior scouting and recruiting by our coaching staff which is a good thing.

As for the problem of losing players to El Cid and Coastal, we should remember that Wofford is not all things to all people. I can see where the aura of tradition The Citadel can project could lure some players in as well as the larger school atmosphere Coastal can offer. Not that we should be happy about this, but we should at least understand that the same reasons we love Wofford may be reasons that others do not, particularly since we all acknowledge and embrace the "Wofford Way".
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:55 pm

We lost a kid from Conway to Coastal this year.

If he didn't have enough sense to get out of Conway we probably didn't want him anyway. :lol:
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terriertime on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:39 am

There's more to the Conway kid's story than meets the eye. He was basically forced by his parents to go there. He actually really, really liked Wofford.
Terriertime

Postby Ruckus on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:23 am

It still just bothers me that we don't sign more top recruits from SC as I have always looked upon Wofford as being more a SC school than, say, Furman whose entire football team and student body is from Ga. (a bit of an exaggeration, I know, but not far off). I agree that our coaching staff does a great job in scouting and recruiting quality kids to the program and it really ticks me off when people criticize Mike and the staff for not doing more and being more successful (outdated offense, blah blah blah). In light of our having a perennial national D1-AA power (with a national champoinship trophy in their case) which is also very similar in educational quality (AND a beautiful campus) to boot as a neighbor and competitor, plus la very imited budget AND high academic stds, we do more with less than anybody in the country.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:39 pm

Terriertime wrote:There's more to the Conway kid's story than meets the eye. He was basically forced by his parents to go there. He actually really, really liked Wofford.

His parents obviously care very little about his future. He is going to a community college with a three year old program. To give up a first rate education unmatched in the area is obsurd. His father must have played at Furman.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:50 pm

BossTerrier wrote:His father must have played at Furman.

You never know...

He might have neen rulled "academically ineligible" and kicked off the team at Georgia Southern which is, of course, the premier bastion of higher learning in the conference. Or, if not there, definately Chattanooga.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:45 pm

In somewhat of a defense to this kid from Conway's parents, it could have been a money problem for them. I doubt he was offered a full schlorship to Wofford since we don't have that many to go around while Costal was probably offering a full ride. There could have been $10K + difference out of pocket to come to Wofford. Now we all know that's one heck of a bargain, but if you don't have it, it becomes a problem.
Rowdy

Postby Terriertime on Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:23 pm

His name was Alex Wolfe, and he was offered a full-ride. His parents wanted him to stay closer to home at Coastal.
Terriertime

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:54 am

In the final translation, one 18 year old's assessment of where he should go to school shouldn't give us a complex.

If it becomes constant thing over a number of years, then it might warrant analyzing, but for now, l think the kid made the decision that was best for him and his family based off the knowledge and insight he had on signing day.

Maybe he chose right, maybe he chose wrong. Time will tell. I say good luck to him and let's concentrate on those who want to be at Wofford.

After all, someone will have to work for our recruits one day...
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:24 pm

I'm not challenging terriertime on the fact that this wolf kid from Conway was offered a full ride from Wofford, but how do we , as fans, know? I've never seen any information from any source that said an offer was a full schlorship or a partial. Also, knowing that we have less than 50 full football schlorships, and knowing we had something like 20 recruits accepting offers this season, and knowing that there are 60 to 70 kids in Spring pratice, how does everyone get a full ride??? Just wondering here in Charlotte. javascript:emoticon(':roll:')
Rowdy

Postby Terriertime on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:32 pm

I have never said everyone was on a full ride. But, you have to admit my sources have been pretty good on other topics. Compare my spring practice report with the one from the Wofford website and you will see they're almost identical.
Terriertime

Postby Rowdy on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:17 am

Terriertime, I didn't mean to imply that everyone was on a full scholarship or that you implied that. The question was how does the terrier fan know what the athletic scholarship offer is? And with fewer athletic scholarships than any other team in the Southern Conference, I'm still in awe of Mike and his assistants on the job they do!

And I guess a second question was is this Wolfe kid from Conway so good that he deserved a full scholarship offer?
Rowdy

Postby Terriertime on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:08 am

I'm in awe of Coach Ayers and his staff as well. From what I heard Wolfe was pretty good. However, I think everyone's making much too big of a deal about his. Yes, we think Wofford is awesome, but, we'll lose an occasional recruit to a "lesser" program sometimes, every program does. But, for everyone we lost, our staff went and found another to take his place. You have to admit getting a ful ride to play football on Myrtle Beach is pretty appealing.
Terriertime

Postby Ruckus on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:39 am

Well.......a 20 min drive (in the winter) to MB. Conway is a hole.

We would do well to watch Coastal very carefully as they want in the SoCon in the worst way, have nonexistant admission requirements and academic stds, a very agressive coach and alumni, and a lot of money to throw around (if that sounds like Appy and GaSo it may not be a coincidence). Plus, Statesboro and Boone are not MB.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football