App state the real deal

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby Tex on Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:36 pm

ASU70 wrote:Officials are part of the game; they make good calls and sometimes they make bad calls. The bottom line is that FU scored more points! Some App fans make excuses for a loss but some FU fans for the past few years have been the ones coming up with excuses as to why they lost.

As a long time Furmanoid, I have NEVER ONCE heard a Paladin fan EVER blame the refs for a loss. Ever. If there is one, then he's not a Paladin. He denies the meaning of the word "Paladin".

ASU70, you sound like GK. That's a guy that reluctently admits he's wrong yet wants others to share in the blame.

Just say you're wrong. It's easy. When I find out I'm wrong I readily admit it.
Tex

Postby ASU70 on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:45 pm

Tex, where in my post did you read that I said FU fans blamed the refs? I said that they have made excuses for their loss in the past to ASU. In my book, no need for what ifs, the final score is the bottom line!
ASU70

Postby Tex on Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:26 pm

ASU70 wrote:Tex, where in my post did you read that I said FU fans blamed the refs? I said that they have made excuses for their loss in the past to ASU. In my book, no need for what ifs, the final score is the bottom line!

I didn't. But YOU blamed the refs. Everytime we lose to ASU, we (the Paladin faithful) think we didn't cheer hard enough. Everytime ASU loses to those Mighty Paladins, you guys seem to blame the refs.

There's a lot of work to understand the game of football. Blaming the officiating isn't in any chapter.

(Sorry for the grammar mistakes... I'm too tired to figure out how to restructure them darn sentences.)

You know, I've never heard a sour word from a Wofford fan. They just do their best with what they have, and somehow they win without any magic from the referees. When they lose, they lose and are accepting. When they win, they are gratious in their victory. They have class.
Tex

Postby dungeonjoe on Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:08 am

Tex wrote:You know, I've never heard a sour word from a Wofford fan. They just do their best with what they have, and somehow they win without any magic from the referees. When they lose, they lose and are accepting. When they win, they are gratious in their victory. They have class.

That's a side-effect of all the burger a-plentys from the Beacon :)

Thanks for the compliment, but there are those among all football fans who take the game too seriously and find some reason to justify a loss.
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUonetime on Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:30 am

That's a side-effect of all the burger a-plentys from the Beacon

Ahh the Beacon ... the best thing about Spartanburg, SC :P
FUonetime

Postby MMBAppState on Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:27 pm

Appstate wrote:
Are you forgetting the help from the refs? Most ASU fans think that last past interference call should have been on just Furman but I believe it should have been on both of us instead of just us.

FWIW: I post on several boards with the user name AppState, and have been doing so for years. The quoted post is not mine.

Carry on.
MMBAppState

Postby AppMM on Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:49 pm

This thread has strayed from its original intention, which was to state that Appalachian is a force to be reckoned with this year. From the App games I have witnessed this year, the team is as good as any in the past decade. There are some inconsistencies, such as penalties. App has a heavy penalty average this year, but only received 1 flag for 5 yards against Georgia Southern. This is hard to believe after almost 200 yards of penalties against Coastal Carolina. I guess the referees let GSU and ASU play a simple game of football last Saturday.

As for the Furman game ... my heart has still not recouped from that grand finale. Furman won the ASU game hands down. There was not a single call from the referees that swung the game. I believe the game was decided by Furman's clock management (and ASU's lack thereof) during the last 5 minutes of the game. The flag for pass interference on App was the worst call I have ever witnessed - our guy was in the air, in front of the Furman receiver, looking back at the ball with hands outstretched, when the Furman receiver grabbed two handfulls of Appalachian jersey and pulled our defender to the ground. Calls like that make me seriously question the integrity of the officiating crew.

I feel kind of sorry for those Furman fans - they must keep a ton of defibrillators on hand for the dramatic finishes the Paladins are producing this year. If only they had really spanked a few of those teams along the way, I would be content with their current ranking.

Terrier fans, I like the message board. Keep it classy.
AppMM

Postby FUonetime on Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:00 pm

I feel kind of sorry for those Furman fans - they must keep a ton of defibrillators on hand for the dramatic finishes the Paladins are producing this year. If only they had really spanked a few of those teams along the way, I would be content with their current ranking.

If it's a spanking you wanted, you just got one. 45-6 over Elon. 2nd string from 3rd quarter on. 3rd string even had an impressive drive. And by the way, if you're not content with our ranking, I'm afraid you lost the right to complain on October 8 :P
FUonetime

Postby dungeonjoe on Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:52 pm

Thios thread started on ASU as the real deal; the team I saw play today is all of that. Williams is just a great athlete. The whole team is quick and well disciplined. I predict they will go far into the playoffs.
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:16 pm

dungeonjoe wrote:Thios thread started on ASU as the real deal; the team I saw play today is all of that. Williams is just a great athlete. The whole team is quick and well disciplined. I predict they will go far into the playoffs.

I concur with your assessment. Williams is awesome. The defense is fast. They can run the football. I could go on and on :) Not much you can do to stop them.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby gofurman on Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:18 pm

no furman fan should deny app is the real deal...i hope we don't see them again...i just hope we make the playoffs and by some miracle they get knocked out...lots of things to think of before then though...we gotta go to statesbo' :(...that ain't easy....i do dare say, and i think most objective wofford fans would agree that woff is a little down this year...some were wondering and i think some recent scores are bringing that to light...however, yor win over gsu still is something impressive...i wish you luck except against us :)...
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby ASU70 on Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:37 pm

[quote="gofurman"]no furman fan should deny app is the real deal...i hope we don't see them again...i just hope we make the playoffs and by some miracle they get knocked out...lots of things to think of before then though...we gotta go to statesbo' :(...that ain't easy....i do dare say, and i think most objective wofford fans would agree that woff is a little down this year...some were wondering and i think some recent scores are bringing that to light...however, yor win over gsu still is something impressive...i wish you luck except against us :)...[/quote] I think it would be great to have an all Socon NC game in Chattanooga between App and FU, but both teams will have to play some great football to make it happen.
ASU70

Postby gofurman on Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:48 pm

i agree that an all socon NC would bring back the prestige we need in teh SoCon...though I would be happy to see just one of us go far :)...seriously, lots of FBall to be played yet...talka of playoffs is premature..but I hope the SoCon represents when the time of postseason does roll around
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football