Wofford 2006 Football Signees

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Postby Ruckus on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:17 am

WOW! 6'6'', 305 may be the biggest OL we have ever signed, or played for that matter. That's great! The real question is: can he play nose guard?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:54 pm

I tried to get some info on Pat Illig, and found a reference to an article posted on Rivals.com on Jan 29th, but could'nt access it---The lead in, though said that despite having offers from Temple, Buffalo, etc. he had decided not to play college football---Obviosly he has changed his mind----Can anyone shed some in-sight?----All of his offers were from IA schools, although not ones with a winning record----I wonder if his change of heart was due to our academic and football success
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:04 pm

Uh - Oh. That doesn't sound good. If he thinks that he may not like playing college football now, just wait til he hits about the 4th practice in August when it is 100 degrees and he is getting his head beat on and his butt run like he has never seen before. This sounds like a problem, because you have to love the game (and everything that goes with it) to play it at the college level whether it's Wofford or any D-1 school. I hate to jinx the kid before he even suits up, but if there is any doubt whatsoever about his commitment to the game, it will be exposed very quickly. At 6'6'' 305, why didn't he have higher level D-1 offers? Something is amiss here. I really really hope I am wrong.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:14 pm

As a follow up, Rivals.com said he was 6-4, not 6-6. not quite as big as we thought. May explain lukewarm interest from the d-1 schools. Esp. if he was being looked at as a guard or tackle where speed, agility and quick feet are paramount in these new spread offenses. We'll be more than happy to have him as a human motor grader up front.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:29 pm

By the way, he is listed as a top 100 recruit in Pa. I think he had offers from Ohio, Temple, University of Buffalo, and Miami of Ohio---Not having read the article, I don't know the reasons why he may have given that impression. I doubt very seriously that Mike Ayers is going to offer a scholarship to someone who he suspects is not committed. I think he may have been looking for a special situation that was not forthcoming from his offers----
A top 100 prospect from PA is pretty impressive
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:35 pm

Ab-so-lutely. Now, let's hope there is nose guard waiting in the wings as well.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:11 pm

fgs44 wrote:By the way, he is listed as a top 100 recruit in Pa. I think he had offers from Ohio, Temple, University of Buffalo, and Miami of Ohio---Not having read the article, I don't know the reasons why he may have given that impression. I doubt very seriously that Mike Ayers is going to offer a scholarship to someone who he suspects is not committed. I think he may have been looking for a special situation that was not forthcoming from his offers----
A top 100 prospect from PA is pretty impressive

I emailed a writer from his area who said he wanted to attend Penn State as a regular student but people talked him into taking advantage of his opportunity to play college football. I guess Wofford was his best shot that late in the process. He also said he was better at pass protection than run blocking.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Ruckus on Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:49 pm

That news certainly doesn't waylay my fears questioning his commitment to college football. I sure hope he likes WoCo and Sparkle City because we may have another player running home after the first few weeks. I really hope not.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

% new signees announced

Postby walliver on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:16 am

The Herald-Journal reports 5 more signees. All of them seem to be from far far away.

This is hopefully good news in being able to recruit nationally. I just hope they don't all get homesick.

http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... 20346/1018
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:08 am

Holy Moly! These kids are HUGE! The kid from Cal. sounds like a stud. I hope they all stay. Once again: Is there a noseguard in the house?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:20 pm

They always sound good in their bios, and I am sure they will be good additions. Just remembering to season's past when late signees turned into great players. Let's get them in and let Coach Ayers get them straight.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:21 am

As good as Mike is, he can't compete sometimes with Momma, home, or that sweet thing that finally gave a little on prom night........ Like that kid who was a punter from Washington state.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:08 pm

Very true Ruckus.

But, are you sure that Momma comes before that sweet thing?
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:39 am

.............well, not exactly, in that order.
I am happy to see that we are recruiting nationally, although I must admit I would love to see more SC talent. I know you can't blame a kid for choosing Furman (great school, great program, great tradition (I still hate em)) but I just cringe when lose em to Citadel, Coastal, or the like.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:39 pm

Have we lost potential recruits to The Citadel, or Coastal?----Not sure that we recruit the same kid as Coastal, or Citadel for that matter---I would imagine that our biggest in-state competitor is Furman(App State, Chatty, and Western recruit different kids than we do, I think)---However, Furman is not getting a significant number from SC---It looks to me that their lucrative recruting spot is Ga.
When we get a Bethay from Wis., or a Widmyer from Idaho, or Fuqua and Jones from Kentucky, or Baker from Fl. or the potential guys this year from Calif, Okla, and Pennsylvania, etc, our recruiting takes on the look of going the extra mile-------
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football