Wofford 2006 Football Signees

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby BossTerrier on Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:23 am

Great article on Blount...sounds like he is the kind of Kid we would have lost three years ago, but the recent success on the field coupled with the academic reputation we've had for 150 years got us this kid. This is a small example of closing tha gap in recruiting, especially since we beat out GSU and Furman for him locally.

As for next year, I still say it's going top be a tough year to compete and if we have success it will be against better competition than the past few years.

Coastal, SC State, USC, and a much improved SoCon makes for a tough schedule. Much tougher non conf than recent past with VMI, Georgetown(Ky), Charleston Southern, Gardner Webb to name a few. Let's hope that the QB gets his head on his shoudlers and performs like we were led to believe he was capable, because I didn't see the talent last year-any thoughts on Collier????
BossTerrier

Postby Ruckus on Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:03 pm

Very talented physically. Needs a whole lot better understanding of how to read the option and defenses. Some kids have a knack at it and some don't. I just hope he learns because my impression was that we were significantly limited last year by what he could and could not do (as far as reading/understanding, not physically). Confidence means a lot and I didn't think he played with a lot of it last year. I remember several times last year he simply went the wrong way on snaps. I don't mean to criticize him (I don't believe anyone on this board should single out any kid for criticism), but he just simply needs to be more consistent. I do think the Widmeyer kid has a lot of potential.

As for the Blount kid being evidence of the gap closing, I respectfully beg to differ. He certainly promises to be a good player for us and is obviously an outstanding student, but my discussion with Furman folks indicate he wasn't that high on their list. That could be wrong and yes they were interested but I don' think he got an offer other than an invitation to walk on there. Again, I don't know anything first hand and everything is relative. I just don't think that by us signing a kid that had some interest from GSU and Furman or that Harvard (word to the wise, Ivy League schools have demographic requirements to meet and getting a top notch southern student/athlete is their fervent desire) wanted badly means we are any closer to getting ON A MORE CONSISTENT BASIS the better talent. I am certainly happy we are geetting such a smart classy kid and am proud he chose Wofford; and I think he will add a lot to our program and our student body. But quite frankly, Harvard is no football powerhouse and would be lucky to win 4 games in the SoCon in my opinion. I would caution against us using them as a litmus test to our football competitiveness; academically yes, football no.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Dogtired on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:54 pm

I hope the OL will do a good job, after listening personnally to the senior OL graduating, they are not as impressed on the toughness of a few of the underclassman who wlll be replacing them. Maybe some experience will help. Game experience is very telling story. Hopefully Josh C will feel lessed panic this year, the same starting OL leaving also talked how you could see the panic in the QB's face weekly which caused errors in execution. The OL injuries and Josh's execution may have caused a better than 6-5 record. Not much better, at least either a win over W Carolina or Chatt.

2002-2003 were years to cherish, it may happen again and it may not. Many factors to make it happen - Intelligent and athleric QB, good OL, excellent running back, speed on defense, strong in the middle defense, experience, and coaching preparation. A few ingredients are there.
Dogtired

Postby woffwoff on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:30 pm

The OL is young but last year 5 quality guys signed on. Miller and Quick played, Owen and Simmons red-shirted. Simmons quit, we've heard nothing about Owen. There is also Rutherford, a big guy who has played, Tiller, Baur and Mckenna all have a ton of experience. I think if we can keep em all healthy this will be a fantastic year for the offense. Also last year several guys walked on - after a year who knows what they can add. Josh gained valuable experience and I am mightily impressed with Widmeyer,
GO TERRIERS
woffwoff

Postby BossTerrier on Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:25 pm

Ruckus wrote:Very talented physically. Needs a whole lot better understanding of how to read the option and defenses. Some kids have a knack at it and some don't. I just hope he learns because my impression was that we were significantly limited last year by what he could and could not do (as far as reading/understanding, not physically). Confidence means a lot and I didn't think he played with a lot of it last year. I remember several times last year he simply went the wrong way on snaps. I don't mean to criticize him (I don't believe anyone on this board should single out any kid for criticism), but he just simply needs to be more consistent. I do think the Widmeyer kid has a lot of potential.

As for the Blount kid being evidence of the gap closing, I respectfully beg to differ. He certainly promises to be a good player for us and is obviously an outstanding student, but my discussion with Furman folks indicate he wasn't that high on their list. That could be wrong and yes they were interested but I don' think he got an offer other than an invitation to walk on there. Again, I don't know anything first hand and everything is relative. I just don't think that by us signing a kid that had some interest from GSU and Furman or that Harvard (word to the wise, Ivy League schools have demographic requirements to meet and getting a top notch southern student/athlete is their fervent desire) wanted badly means we are any closer to getting ON A MORE CONSISTENT BASIS the better talent. I am certainly happy we are geetting such a smart classy kid and am proud he chose Wofford; and I think he will add a lot to our program and our student body. But quite frankly, Harvard is no football powerhouse and would be lucky to win 4 games in the SoCon in my opinion. I would caution against us using them as a litmus test to our football competitiveness; academically yes, football no.

I agree with the assessment of Collier and while I agree with not taking cheap shots at any players, discussing the performance of key positions is certainly up for debate on this board, in my humble opinion. If the NCAA referees have decided to announce a player's number to an entire stadium after a penalty, and it is common to have TV broadcasters discussing players performances on the tube, then certainly we can discuss them in this forum as well, as long as it's not personal or cheap. My assessment is that Widmeyer may come out of camp as the starter...he displayed nice decision making and in the Wofford Offense it's more about decision making and less about talent...just hit the right hole in the line and if it's the right one they'll be 4 our 5 yards for the taking each time.

As for Blount, I am only going by the article-GSU wanted him badly-And While Harvard is certainly not that strong on the field, the fact that he chose us speaks highly of the fact that he recognized he'll get a first class education and play football in a first class organization with a chance to win a national championship.

Overall, you are correct that the talent level of our recruits is not where we want it to be, but let's reserve judgement for a couple of years, when we see how these kids mature on the field.
BossTerrier

Postby Ruckus on Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:57 pm

Recruiting doesn't win games; performance does. There is so much between signing a LOI and performing on Saturday it isn't really fair to compare the 2. However, past performance, size, and speed do have some correlative value. It's all a waiting game. I just wouldn't want to bet my family's livelihood on the expected performance of 18 -21 year old young men.
As for criticism of players, there is a fine line between evaluation of performance and criticizing kids. I would just hope we all are mindful of that as we post on various topics. As for coaches, they are certainly different but I personally wouldn't post anything I wouldn't be man enough to say face to face. I would hope that as members of Wofford's "family" we would be respectful and supportive of our programs. For the most part, we are all "arm chair qb'ing" anyway so our pontification on any topic isn't worth much.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:32 am

I agree, Ruckus. The last thing I'd want is to have this fine forum turned into a stage for things similar to what goes on at some other school-specific boards. While I can be opinionated about things, I try to remember where all this fits into the grand scheme of things and give as much "benefit of the doubt" as possible.

As far as all things Wofford, I can't see where Terrier football fans have a lot to complain about right now athletically. Our team is competitive and signs point to a better season next year. Beyond that, I'm not that worried with the possible exception of the slow and often non-existent trickle of official information released by the athletic department. I can't see how Terrier fans are going to become more fervent and supportive when new info and updates are so sparce. The Herald-Journal does a great job which I appreciate very much, but I find it hard to believe that even Wofford's typical "discretion" warrants as little information as frequently comes out. Fans want tidbits and more frequent news updates would only contribute to fan interest and attention. No more than a few days ever go by without a news release about Clemson or South Carolina football and as a result, their fans stay pumped up year round. By contrast, Terrier fans often go weeks and months without new stuff coming out. If Wofford wants to draw big-time attention, it needs to publish news like the big-time schools.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:34 am

I agree. But on the flip side, silence is better than hype or half truths. While I wholeheartedly agree that we have nothing to be disappointed in at the moment (except for our baseball program which is a different story for different forum), the key to our continued competitiveness is money for scholarships in all sports. I am a bit of a fatalist when it comes to our chances overall. There's only so many games we will be able to win given our size and finacial support. And I am okay with that as long as 1) we are doing things right on and off the field and the high stds Wofford is committed to are upheld; 2) our academic stds are never sacrificed; 3) we are competitive; we may not win every game but we have a realistic chance to win if we play well.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:27 am

very good post, Ruckus. Glad to have you here.
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:19 pm

Thanks for the kudos. Good to be here with my fellow Terrier faithful (and a few tolerable interlopers). I was happy to know that we have a forum of our very own. The UFFP was getting very tiresome with all the Woffy comments and incessant F-U-1-time arrogant boasting.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:51 am

I agree about the financial support issue, Ruckus. While the money raised by the Terrier Club is strong compared to most of our peers in the SoCon (so I hear, but I don't have stats to back that up), it is still inadequate. Some of the remaining gap needs to be made up by individuals, but where I see us lacking in effort is on the corporate front. While I don't think we are needing to build a bunch of luxury suites at Gibbs Stadium, I do think opportunities exist to partner with strong local and regional businesses. But, to do that, Wofford would have to not just sell the athletic product on the field, but also the economic product in the stands. At present, 8000-9000 fans isn't nearly the draw for someone like Michelin, Coca-Cola, BMW or the like that 14000-16000 is. While that kind of attendence growth would be huge, we must consider that Furman and The Citadel draw in this range and neither has a dramatically larger student body. The trick is that they have both been very successful in attracting a non-alumni fan base. The Terriers have a non-alumni base, but it is much smaller. Obviously, Spartanburg is not as big as Greenville or Charleston, but with no other competition in town, Wofford can do better.

On the "hype and half truth" issue, I don't want to see a bunch of made up stuff either, but no one can convicne me that their aren't relevant stories or information that could be released during the "football news dead zone" that runs between about March 1 and July 15 at Wofford. I'm just saying that I believe Wofford's athletic department forces itself into recreating fan attention and momentum each season because it lets interest wane too much during the off season. I'm certainly no marketing genius, it's just my perception, so I don't really have a blue ribbon plan to fix it. I just think that if we want Wofford to be widely mentioned in the same breath as GSU, ASU, and Furman, we will have to no only continue to be competitive on the field, but also market ourselves competitively off it.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:48 am

Agreed on the marketing front., esp. the point on corporate assistance. And I agree the SID can do a better job getting news out. I just don't want to see a bunch of junk being disseminated from the SID for the sake of making news. Wofford is still Wofford and if I ever want or need info I just call over and ask somebody I know. Which makes Wofford special IMO. I am not sure we really appreciate how different Wofford is from our SoCon peers (even El Cid and FU) because it's all we know. It is a different world (remember the "Wofford Way"?) in all aspects, financial, academic, administrative, etc. Which is why I love it and went there to begin with. The flex bone offense, recruiting, long standing coaching staff, and other nuances of our football program only perpetuate that uniqueness.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:53 pm

Agreed. The "Wofford Way" is our identity and guiding force. Always has been, always should be. I don't want to see us reinvent the wheel, just tweak things a bit in certain areas to help leverage Wofford's positive momentum and make our advatages work for us as best they can. I guess we'll see how that goes, but as usual, I believe we will move forward marching to the beat of our own drum (even if none of our peer schools can hear the rhythm).
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:30 pm

New recruit to add to the list:

As per the Pittsburgh Tribune Review
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-rev ... 24864.html

Central Catholic (Pittsburgh, PA) offensive lineman Pat Illig, a 6-6, 305-pounder who was an All-Quad East and All-WPIAL Class AAAA selection, has signed with Wofford.

Scout.com lists him as a 2 star with interest from Penn State, Pittsburgh, and West Virginia. Offers from Toledo, Ohio, Miami (Ohio), Buffalo, and Temple. Rivals.com lists him as a 2 star also.

Started on the Pennsylvania AAAA state championship team as a junior. He won honorable mention all-state honors from the Pennsylvania Football News.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby walliver on Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:03 pm

Looks like he could make aqn immediate impact on the team, although it would be nice to redshirt him, since I feel 2007 is our year to play in Chattanooga in December.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football