2006 Schedule is official

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby sickem on Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:10 pm

PC had their best team in many, many years and still lost to Elon. If I recall correctly, we beat 6 D1AA's as a D2. Why schedule PC whether they are D2 or 1AA. This is a business and us playing them only adds to their credibility. They certainly could have followed our lead years ago and gone D1. They obviously recognize their error. Let'em find their own way.

Ruckus wrote:Well, PC is certainly better than Georegtown College and is more competitive than VMI (keep in mind PC was ranked no. 1 in D-II at one point last year).In my view, a local traditional rivalry against a quality opponent (albeit D-II) should not factor much either way. In other words, whether we lose to Coastal, PC, or G-W, if we take 2 form App, FU, or GSU AND win outv. the rest of the SoCon, we are pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot.
sickem

Postby BestOfBreed on Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:42 pm

Gardner-Webb announced their schedule today. They list the Wofford gametime as 1:30 pm (subject to change) so I added it to my initial post. They play Coastal at home the week before they play Wofford.

09/02 @ Jacksonville (TBA)
09/09 TENNESSEE TECH (6:00)
09/16 @ UT-Martin (TBA)
09/23 APPALACHIAN STATE (6:00)
09/30 @ Southeastern Louisiana (TBA)
10/14 GLENVILLE STATE (6:00)
10/21 @ Liberty (TBA) *
10/28 VMI (1:30) * Homecoming 2006
11/04 @ Charleston Southern (1:30) *
11/11 COASTAL CAROLINA (1:30) *
11/18 WOFFORD (1:30)
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Ruckus on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:44 am

I don't think I am going out on a limb by saying that there is virtually nothing at WoCo that is considered a "business". That is why Wofford is Wofford. I am not a romantic but the facts are very very simple. No Jerry Richardson, no SoCon (one could make a similar argument for Danny Morrison). Without JR and the Panther money, we are right where PC is now. I would caution against self righteous arrogance against a fine school with a long tradition which by the way more than held its own in past years with our Terriers. I simply believe traditional and geographical rivalries should be preserved. Call me old fashioned, naive, etc but I get more excited about PC than Coastal, State, or G-W. Plus, if that were the case, Furman plays them very often and it sure hasn't seemed to hurt their chances at national prominence. If we can't compete with PC, how the heck are we going to succed in the SoCon?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:09 am

Personally, if we have to play a division II then I would prefer to play PC over other choices. Same goes for basketball... if you're going to schedule division II games then why not schedule PC or USC-Upstate over Toccoa Falls? My only guess is maybe it could help with recruiting but I'm not sure how much exposure you get in Virginia for beating Virginia-Wise in basketball.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby BestOfBreed on Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Coastal announced their schedule today. They claim that SC State is playing down there on September 23rd... the same day that both Wofford and SC State have SC State coming to Spartanburg on both their schedules. SC State lists Coastal as the 30th on their 2006 schedule. Good times.

A member of coastalfans.com is saying SC State double booked... My guess is we might be playing SC State on Sept 2nd with an open date on the 23rd now since both Wofford and SC State are open that day.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby BossTerrier on Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:39 pm

I don't like playing D-II schools IN ANY SPORT, period. There is nothing at all to gain by doing that. We have only played a handful of them since moving to the SoCon in football, so why add them at all in the future. The standards for admission are much lower in D-II than in D-I. That is why we play Toccoa Falls and Virginia Wise instead of USC Upstate or equivalent. The chance we'd get beat by a good D-II team is a marketing nightmare and a huge blow to recruiting. USC Upstate will be D-I within two years and they have less than stellar academic students but some real good athletes. I was discussing this very topic with a former WoCo grad who's an assistant bball coach at a local D-II school and this was his thinking...just way to much to lose playing a good D-II school. Same goes with a really good D-IAA school in football. I'd much rather see us play a Chareston Southern as a UMass, because we play enough of those tough games in the conference. The playoffs are made for going up against other good teams in our own division. I'm fine with mediocre D-IAAs and good D-Is on the football schedule over D-IIs and D-Iaa elites. Maybe I'm chicken, I don't know! :)
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby BestOfBreed on Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:33 pm

BossTerrier wrote:I don't like playing D-II schools IN ANY SPORT, period. There is nothing at all to gain by doing that. We have only played a handful of them since moving to the SoCon in football, so why add them at all in the future. The standards for admission are much lower in D-II than in D-I. That is why we play Toccoa Falls and Virginia Wise instead of USC Upstate or equivalent. The chance we'd get beat by a good D-II team is a marketing nightmare and a huge blow to recruiting. USC Upstate will be D-I within two years and they have less than stellar academic students but some real good athletes. I was discussing this very topic with a former WoCo grad who's an assistant bball coach at a local D-II school and this was his thinking...just way to much to lose playing a good D-II school. Same goes with a really good D-IAA school in football. I'd much rather see us play a Chareston Southern as a UMass, because we play enough of those tough games in the conference. The playoffs are made for going up against other good teams in our own division. I'm fine with mediocre D-IAAs and good D-Is on the football schedule over D-IIs and D-Iaa elites. Maybe I'm chicken, I don't know! :)

Good points. Interesting slant on the DII scheduling in basketball too.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Ruckus on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:38 am

Generally, I agree. Especially the part about the playoffs being made by winnning against our conference opponents. However, traditional or geographic rivalries are something outside the norm and should be valued IMO. We certainly have some credibility to lose if we fail to win against elite D1-AA or DII schools. However, until we have enough confidence in our program to play them without fear, how real are our chances at winning in the SoCon anyway? It is nice though to have a "breather" game where we don't have to hit on all cylinders to have a chance to win. I think we have done a fairly good job in recent years scheduling and 2006 is an exceptional slate, very tough. If we win, 8 games from this schedule we deserve an at large bid, hands down.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:35 pm

Here's my take. Perhaps we are missing the most obvious answer to the scheduling question. Could this be another example of "The Wofford Way"?

In my 14 years of following Wofford, they have never played what I would consider a "tough" schedule. Men's basketball "money games" since 1995 the possible exception.

We have always had a football schedule dotted with Lees-McRae (I was at the 77-7 drubbing in 92 or 93, whenever it was), Wingate, Johnson C. Smith and the like. And, since the NCAA lets us play up to four non D-I's a year, we always take full advantage by playing the likes of Toccoa Falls, Va-Wise, King, and the like in basketball.

This isn't a criticism, it's fact. Scheduling probably cost us an at-large playoff bid in 2002 and it didn't help an already longshot bid in 2004. Until this coming years' tough slate, I can't remember a Wofford football schedule that didn't have its share of weak points. Does this make Wofford bad? Not at all. Does it serve our purposes? Most seasons, yes.

I guess my though is that before we cast stones at other teams schedules or at who is a worthy opponent, we should consider who we have been playing. Maybe I'm off base, but I don't think we have as much room to talk as we might think.

But, as far as PC, I don't think Wofford should help them too much since their arrival as a I-AA independent would make them a SoCon expansion possibility. This is not me being snobby, but more of a status quo guy. Bringing in another small private school will only further alienate the GSU and ASU's of the world. As much as they annoy me sometimes, a lot of the prestige we enjoy as a SoCon member is derived off their successes, past and present. I, for one, prefer to be a medium fish among their big fish than to be in a SoCon without them.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby tom189 on Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:14 am

The reason we didn't get an at large bid in 02 was due to the complete lack of honor on the part of the selection committee. It is no coincidence that NW State and App, both of whom had weklaer records than Wofford, got in with their ADs on the committee and App getting a home game.
tom189

Postby Terriertime on Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:53 pm

I don't think it hurt's Wofford's reputation (the easy schedule) at all. Because the SoCon is a WAR every week, we need some games that we are most likely going to win. Furman and Elon have played PC, Western played Mars Hill last year, GSU has played Johnson C. State, Savannah State, and Moorehead State. UTC plays people like Tennesse Tech. So, we're not the only one's doing it. Everyone playing people a little weaker b/c they know the coference is going to be grueling week in and week out.
Terriertime

Previous

Return to Football