App state the real deal

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

App state the real deal

Postby dungeonjoe on Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:24 am

It looks like the folks from Boone have a lot to cheer about this year. They made it look easy against GSU. How did the Paladins stop them this year?
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUonetime on Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:20 am

2 words my friend: BALL CONTROL. Keep Richie Williams and his talented receivers off the field for long enough, and you can wear down their defense. If you let Appy control the clock, get ready for a looooong day.
FUonetime

Re: App state the real deal

Postby trojans2176 on Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:11 pm

dungeonjoe wrote:It looks like the folks from Boone have a lot to cheer about this year. They made it look easy against GSU. How did the Paladins stop them this year?

It may have looked easy but it was scary as GSU can come back on you in a heartbeat.

Though Furmie, may disagree, they dodged a bullet. They were fortunate to beat App. I give them the credit they deserve but I also give App a lot of credit. It was a great game with a lot riding on the outcome.
trojans2176

Postby hawg on Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:03 am

FU had to play REALLY well to win. ASU is the real deal. Sagarin has them rated as the #1 1-AA team in the country.[/b]
hawg

Postby Appstate on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:45 am

FUonetime wrote:2 words my friend: BALL CONTROL. Keep Richie Williams and his talented receivers off the field for long enough, and you can wear down their defense. If you let Appy control the clock, get ready for a looooong day.

Are you forgetting the help from the refs? Most ASU fans think that last past interference call should have been on just Furman but I believe it should have been on both of us instead of just us.

Your OTs held Murrell and Hunter most of the game and yes you did control the clock on us. I do think though that our DTs played bad in the game and played great against GSU. If we play like we did Saturday there is no way we lose IMO at home.

Of all the games left to me this is our toughest game. WCU and UTC are wins since we have them at home, no offense but we are unstoppable at home based on play for the last 2 years. Wofford doesn't have 20,000 plus like we do and to players coming off a game like this past Saturday you go into a place with only a few thousand there and the game is just as big. This game means you move in the top 10 probably and you move in a tie for first place.

I am just glad Wofford beat GSU so now we can win the league outright.
Appstate

Postby Tex on Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:15 pm

Appstate wrote:
FUonetime wrote:2 words my friend: BALL CONTROL. Keep Richie Williams and his talented receivers off the field for long enough, and you can wear down their defense. If you let Appy control the clock, get ready for a looooong day.

Are you forgetting the help from the refs? Most ASU fans think that last past interference call should have been on just Furman but I believe it should have been on both of us instead of just us.

Your OTs held Murrell and Hunter most of the game and yes you did control the clock on us. I do think though that our DTs played bad in the game and played great against GSU. If we play like we did Saturday there is no way we lose IMO at home.

Of all the games left to me this is our toughest game. WCU and UTC are wins since we have them at home, no offense but we are unstoppable at home based on play for the last 2 years. Wofford doesn't have 20,000 plus like we do and to players coming off a game like this past Saturday you go into a place with only a few thousand there and the game is just as big. This game means you move in the top 10 probably and you move in a tie for first place.

I am just glad Wofford beat GSU so now we can win the league outright.

Yes, Appstate, the reason Furman beat Appy is we cheated and the refs helped us do it. Heck, it was THEIR idea.

I think I'll be rooting for Wofford over App now.
Tex

Postby trojans2176 on Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:08 pm

"Yes, Appstate, the reason Furman beat Appy is we cheated and the refs helped us do it. Heck, it was THEIR idea.

I think I'll be rooting for Wofford over App now."

Tex,

The refs did have an effect on the game. I did not think they were consistent at all. I think we had a great crew at the App/GSU game. I do not understand why that crew or one as good was not assigned the App/FU game. It seemed to me that the experienced refs had to cover weaker refs territory. This is fine for most games but not for the premier games of the week. Let me say that I am all for the up and comers working with the experienced guys. That is how officials learn and grow, however, App/FU that's another story.
I hope for both FU and GSU the best crew available is assigned and I hope we get a good crew for the App/Wof game. These games are too important to not have the best out there. Boy, your season may have been affected by a few calls in the El Cid game. Now wouldn't that have been awful.
trojans2176

Postby gofurman on Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:24 pm

yes, we payed the refs...that is the way to beat them terriers, pay the refs...good luck, go FB up the middle they are fast to the corners but small...our FB was able to run on them in the middle some...but it was the refs that won it for us...not the fact that GSU's fullback couldn't do that much while ours did...or that gsu's QB was hurt last week - maybe ASU payed for that...
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:26 pm

I do think though that our DTs played bad in the game and played great against GSU. '

and that of course had nothing to do with our Oline either...we payed their DTs to play bad...do that...it will help
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUonetime on Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:46 pm

Wow - I can't even come on to Wofford's new site without seeing the same old idiots. Again, and I have a feeling this will become a mantra for me - anything you can say was thrown for us was thrown against us too. I saw at least 7 holds by ASU linemen just like I see in every SoCon game. The refs stink, and they usually stink both ways. Grow up and get used to it.
FUonetime

Postby trojans2176 on Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:46 am

'Wow - I can't even come on to Wofford's new site without seeing the same old idiots. Again, and I have a feeling this will become a mantra for me - anything you can say was thrown for us was thrown against us too. I saw at least 7 holds by ASU linemen just like I see in every SoCon game. The refs stink, and they usually stink both ways. Grow up and get used to it.'

The mutual admiration society is the largest of all.

I didn't say that the refs were inconsistent for one team only. I also did not say that Furman did not deserve the victory. They did. It was a hotly contested game that was much closer statistically and scorewise than you imply. Where one team might have an advantage the other has an equally important advantage in another area.

I said the officials were inconsistent in the App/FU game. When you have to have an experienced official cover a lesser experienced officials area as happened in the App/FU game you have the probability of error. The OVC and SoCon are a "training ground for ACC/SEC officials in football and the A-Sun, OVC and SoCon are training grounds for ACC/SEC football. In basketball you typically get one "expert" official, one "somewhat seasoned" if you are lucky and one newbie who is learning to ramp his/her game up to the college level. The newbies are usually given a 1-2 year window to prove themselves and move up the ladder. If they don't progress rapidly enough they are dropped like a hot potato. If they are female doing female sports they really are pushed up and given extra allowances to succeed because of the great need for female officials. The lead or supervising official has to watch not only his/her area but has to "supervise" and assist the others if he sees they missed calls etc. That is why you will see a late flag from another zone or a late whistle from a trail official because they are giving the newbie a chance to make a good call and if they don't they jump in. With a fully experienced crew each official is confident to concentrate on their area only while keeping eye contact and verbal communication with the crew as action enters and leaves areas.

Watch, in basketball you get the true ACC/SEC official crews ONLY for the SoCon tournament. The ACC/SEC season is over and the excess crews not working those tournaments will ref the training ground conference tournaments. Why, because they would not have a game to work if they didn't. You may be shocked at the difference in ref pay between 1-AA and ACC/SEC, it is tremendous when you take in consideration the travel money that is paid. That is why you hardly recognize an official during the tournament. The same guys booking the ACC/SEC book the OVC, A-Sun and SoCon. What I did say is for some reason the App/GSU game drew a fully experienced crew. If there was an up and comer out there he did a very good job and you will most likely see him in a near future ACC/SEC game.

Since we are a 1-AA team that does have it's own play-off system I personally feel that those games that are likely conference crown and automatic/at large NCAA bid deciding contests should have a fully experienced crew. There is too much on the line not to demand that. In basketball the "one bid conferences" don't produce NCAA title contenders but in 1-AA football they can.

With that being said I simply stated I hope the App/Wof and the GSU/FU game get the top officials the conference booking agent has.

[/quote]
trojans2176

Postby Tex on Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:51 am

I don't need to conjecture. Here's what AppState said:

"Are you forgetting the help from the refs?" ...and then "Your OTs held Murrell and Hunter most of the game"

With you ASU guys, if you lose it's the ref's fault. If you win, you come on the UFFP and scream like drunken fools.

I think your fans and school's reputation would be better served if you were more gracious in victory and less bitter in defeat.

Of course, Furman has their foolish fans too. Oh lordy you should get a gander at some of them.
Tex

Postby dungeonjoe on Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:49 am

Tex wrote:I don't need to conjecture. Here's what AppState said:

"Are you forgetting the help from the refs?" ...and then "Your OTs held Murrell and Hunter most of the game"

With you ASU guys, if you lose it's the ref's fault. If you win, you come on the UFFP and scream like drunken fools.

I think your fans and school's reputation would be better served if you were more gracious in victory and less bitter in defeat.

Of course, Furman has their foolish fans too. Oh lordy you should get a gander at some of them.

It is obvious this has been a sharp debate with some of you on other boards; thanks for keeping the personal slams out of it here at terrierfans.

I heard last night on SportsTalk from a former college level ref how the quality of officiating has declined over the past few years; maybe we are seeing that especially in the SoCon.
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUonetime on Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:10 am

Trojans - not trying to hate on ya, bud. Just saying that blaming ASU's loss on the referees is not only childish but pretty hard to support. I think we both agree SoCon refs are pretty bad but they're consistently bad.
FUonetime

Postby ASU70 on Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:21 pm

Officials are part of the game; they make good calls and sometimes they make bad calls. The bottom line is that FU scored more points! Some App fans make excuses for a loss but some FU fans for the past few years have been the ones coming up with excuses as to why they lost.
ASU70

Next

Return to Football