Game One: South Carolina State

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017, 2018
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017. 2018
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Game One: South Carolina State

Postby youngterrier on Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:25 pm

Well, we are roughly two weeks from kickoff, so I thought I'd start a thread.

Miscellaneous facts: We haven't played since 2006 and we're on a 4 game win streak. Those games were played in the early-to-mid 2000s. We've never lost to SC State while we've been Division 1.

About SC State last year: They finished 5-6, including 4-3 in the MEAC. They won 4 of their last 5 games last year, and the last 2 games that they lost they lost by 4 points or less.

Analysis: By MEAC standards, they are a solid team. The problem is that MEAC standards are not great. Wofford, by ourselves has more playoff wins since 2003 than the entire MEAC has all-time, as the MEAC hasn't won a playoff game in 20 years. Granted, playoff record won't win the game on the 31st and the MEAC no longer sends their champion to the playoffs, but playoff wins in the macro are a good indicator of how competitive your league is. Heck, the Socon has 8 playoff wins since 2015.

So, given the fact that the MEAC isn't as competitive as the Socon, let's look at SC State's stats last year. They...aren't very good. Here are some gems:

They ran the ball 70% of the time, but they only average 180ish yards a game. When they threw the ball, they only completed about 43% of their passes. That's bad. They threw more interceptions than touchdowns and only converted 3rd downs 27% of the time and only recorded 12 sacks, while giving up 18. On their time of possession, they were below 30 minutes.

Their defense appears to be better than their offense, but they still gave up close to 400 yards per game last year and picked the ball off 14 times. They also gave up close to 5 yards per rush, which isn't good if you're playing us.

Look, it's not cordial to say out loud that you expect to win a game easily, but there's no reason this game should be closer than 3 touchdowns. Massey Ratings has us winning this game 28-6, which I think sells our offense short. SC State tries to run a similar offense as we do, albeit a spread read-option, with no variations on the triple/power option like we do. Their quarterback seems quick and athletic (like Joe Newman, honestly), but his OL doesn't protect him well enough to make throws. He's typically inaccurate.

To beat Wofford, you have to stop the option and have a meaningful balance of run and pass. Or pass it really well with a QB who can buy time with his legs ala Devlin Hodges. SC State is neither of these things. Even if they come out on defense with their hair on fire and hold us below 30, I just don't see them scoring 20 on us.

We have to stay focused and play one game at a time. Game one is a good place to start.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Re: Game One: South Carolina State

Postby Retiredterrier on Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:32 pm

YT I basically agree with your assessment. We should not have any problem with SC State. But sometimes thinking like that can get you in trouble. We can't start the game thinking it will be a landslide. We have to start the game on fire and play like that the rest of the way. If we do that the Terriers should get a W.

Jireh with a mic https://twitter.com/Wofford_FB/status/1 ... 2286744576

Miller Mosley with a mic https://twitter.com/Wofford_FB/status/1 ... 5610502145
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:04 pm

We have to go into this game, and every game, with a workman's mentality. Not a mentality that we should win just by showing up , but rather we expect to win every game so there's no point in looking past the next snap, let alone the next game.

I think our continued success has put us in this place. We know we are a good football team and we have it in us to beat every team. Need to stop thinking and start doing. 2 weeks until game time!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:24 pm

SC State has some talent and a long time coach. We take them lightly at our peril. Assuredly this game is a big one for them and they will be primed.

The MEAC is not as bad as that. Their recent champion, NCA&T, was not undefeated in the MEAC and has been routinely very talented and well coached ... and is again this year. As we have discussed elsewhere, it is too bad they have not been in the FCS playoffs due to the bowl game they chose to play for $ reasons the last few years. Undoubtedly they would have won some games in the FCS playoffs had they participated.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:47 am

I'm sorry, it's gonna be hard to convince me that the MEAC is suddenly better. NC A&T lost a tie breaker in 2016 and made the playoffs instead of a bowl game and got whallopped by Richmond.

In my opinion this is like a P5 playing a G5 team. Yes, they can beat us if we don't show up. But if we are anyway decent that won't happen.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:33 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:55 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:27 pm

More things to think about: I got bored this weekend and simultaneously hyped about this season, so I started watching highlights from the last 3 years and something stuck out to me.

Namely, most of our big plays last year came out of the gun. Something like 80%. In 2016, half to 60%ish of our scoring/big plays came out of the flexbone. In 2017, we relied more heavily on the gun for scoring plays.

Admittedly, this may not be a 100% accurate sample (it's the sample of the plays that made it into inside Wofford football highlights, but the ratio was crazy last year. Like 16 gun plays to 4 flexbone plays.

At the very least, we made more big plays last year and when we ran plays out of the gun, they were more likely to be big. And the plays that did make it to the highlight reel that were out of the flexbone/under center were plenty of passes (like half)

In effect, we're still an option team, but we're more of a spread option team that runs some flexbone than a flexbone team that runs some plays out of the gun. I remember reading earlier this summer that Coach Conklin said we wanted to run more I formation and get some pass plays out of the I (or something like that) and I think the reason is efficiency.

We already run pretty strong options out of the gun and are capable of it out of the flexbone, but having every play be a read option can be time consuming relative to just lining up and playing smash mouth football or having 3 wide outs to pass to as opposed to 2 and a receiver and so on. I try to block out what happened at Kennesaw State, but I think what happened was we played a fast, small defense that was able to beat us because we ran so many read plays, whereas if we just lined up and shove it down their throats, we did much better (as did SDSU the next week)

It'll be something to look out for against SCST. How often do we go in the flexbone? What new formations do we run? How much do we pass? There's a lot to be excited about. 13 days!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:36 pm

Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:21 pm

We cannot take SC State lightly as this article seems to imply. Interesting that they have a DL (although not their starting NT) who is 6'4" and 420 lbs. Yes 420 and not 320. Name is Robert "Shaq" Crouch.

https://thetandd.com/sports/bulldogzone ... 88012.html
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:13 am

Good post RT. They will be experienced, prepared and ready for us. We had better be ready for them.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:00 am

I cannot see where this game is being televised via any outlet--Does anyone know the situation--Down here in Texas I rely on espn3 or ESPN +
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby crabbyterrier on Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:25 am

I heard you will only be able to listen to game. Not televised.

Go Terriers!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:42 pm

Here is a link for how to access each game this year. Most are on ESPN+ or ESPN3, but some like SCSU only on radio or Live Stats. Some too on CW 62, which I believe is a localized tv station. As game time approaches, some games may well be accessible in different ways than are shown here.
https://woffordterriers.com/schedule.as ... hedule=225
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Looks like this game will be the one game without any TV access. I would Google to see if there's any MEAC coverage, like what the Big South does.

All of our conference games are carried by ESPN+ and our home games are as well. I will do some digging.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football