Recruiting

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Recruiting

Postby lawdog on Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:45 am

How we finish this year will depend a lot on how our two redshirts and Goodwin step up, and I expect them to. A totally healthy Stumpe would really help too. How we do after that depends a lot on our having a strong recruiting class for ‘20, including an excellent guard and Cam Jackson type; if we do we should expect to continue to hang around the top 20.

I think our chance of winning the SoCon next year is as good as any other team’s. No way we are outside the top 3 in the regular season, and then we focus on winning the tourney.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:30 pm

I generally agree with ’06 here. It is very, very difficult for a SoCon team to break into the top 25 on a regular basis. I suppose we could look at weekly rankings over the years and see for sure, but it seems like a pretty rare thing. Last season was a mix of things that clicked all at once. Tremendous talent and experience and chemistry and depth. A star player, Fletcher Magee, who brought attention to the program. A few very, very close wins in the conference – attributable, in large part, to Magee’s uncanny shooting ability and, possibly, a little luck. If we had lost the Samford and ETSU overtime games, Wofford probably wouldn’t have been in the top 20. Seeding for the NCAA Tournament might have been different. Who knows…Mike Young might very well still be our coach.

So, Wofford could have really, really good teams in the years to come, could recruit at a high level, but not quite reach the 2019 benchmark.

That said, I would like to think that there’s talent in program currently to be competitive in the SoCon the next couple of season – perhaps even a championship contender. And with our arena, the reputation of the school, the beauty of the campus, and the program’s recent success and publicity (even though it happened with Young as head coach) – and assuming that Jay McAuley is a strong leader for the program – Wofford should have the chance to bring in good players consistently.

And you never know: Maybe we continue to build the overall level of talent and then add that one special recruit and then have a couple seasons back in the national spotlight. Perhaps we have a few young players in the program now with major potential – there’s the matter of raw talent coming in as a recruit, but hard work and development are key, too.

Part of it is structural for the whole mid-major scene: Can you get larger schools to come play on your home court from time to time? Can you schedule some games against larger programs on neutral courts – maybe get into some of the early-season tournaments? Can mid-majors schedule some good non-conference games with each other so it’s easier to see how they really stack up against each other? Can the SoCon become a 2-bid league without the NCAA tourney being expanded to the point that it’s totally watered down?

In any case, I think there are reasons to be excited about Wofford basketball. I’m looking forward to next season already.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:43 pm

Dude, I like your last point in particular: can we continue to schedule games against P5 and other name opponents, especially at home on occasion where we have a more realistic chance to be successful? That has been a large part of Gonzaga's recent success. Our aggressive scheduling has served us well in recent years, and we need to keep that up. I also really like the talent and experience level on our present roster and the fact that they have learned to win games against good competition. Having proved we deserved our ranking, in the NCAA tourney, we are naturally more likely to get the benefit of the doubt going forward so long as we schedule and play credibly against good opponents.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:29 pm

My guess is that it may be tougher to get big schools to come to Wofford now -- the success of the program might scare coaches away, since it won't look like an easy win. On the other hand, maybe we can be at a level where an early-season win against Wofford AT Wofford looks like a quality win, good team resume builder, and we can make some things happen. My guess is that there's a financial component to it, and I'm not really sure how all that works and what Wofford could afford to do. Parlaying success into invitations for neutral-site tournaments would be cool. And winning on the road against bigger programs is obviously great -- just not real easy.

I'm no expert on Gonzaga or the college basketball scene in the Northwest. But I would guess that -- at least when Gonzaga was building its program -- they benefitted from having less competition for recruits in the region (they may recruit more nationally nowadays). I mean, yes, there are of course big programs in Northwest and along the West Coast. But the Southeast has a plethora of major level programs to scoop up top recruits and even those who aren't quite as highly ranked (the sort of so-called 3-star and 4-star recruits that I'm guessing are the type players Gonzaga found success with). Only within a 5-hour drive from the Wofford campus would be how many ACC and SEC programs? I'm thinking about 10....Of course, there may also be more athletes in the Southeast, but I'm still thinking the overall equation is different for Gonzaga than for mid-majors in this part of the country.

Along with the difference in recruiting, the proximity of larger programs would also affect fan attendance, media attention, and overall interest, I'm guessing. Do you go to the Wofford game, or stay home and watch the big ACC game on TV? Do local non-alumni follow Wofford or their own alma mater -- such as Clemson or USC -- or some other regional major program of interest? We sort of got to the point last season where Wofford basketball felt like a real "thing" -- a happening, an event. A few sold out games, great atmosphere (though I still disagree with putting students only in the one behind-the-basket section...), some real buzz about the team. The trick is to maintain that kind of attendance and enthusiasm even with a new coach and even in years when we don't have quite as special a team. Because, in the long run, I think it all feeds on itself -- good teams leading to fan interest, fan interest supporting success, and so on.

But I think it's no easy thing, by any stretch. As I think I've said here before, Davidson has been good in recent years. It's a strong mid-major program, one that's still probably an example of where we'd like to be. But they haven't reached Gonzaga's level of consistent success -- and that's after having Stephen Curry in the program and very nearly making it to the Final Four. If any mid-major in the Southeast has appeared ready to make that leap, it probably would've been Davidson -- but while they've been good, we're not talking their being a real Gonzaga of the East.
Last edited by dude on Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:04 pm

Couple quick answers:

No remotely decent p5 school is coming to spartanburg any time soon. Not after this much success

We have a great group and coaching staff. But lets also remember mike's best teams finished mid pack following year. A lot of talent needs to be replaced. All time talent. Im extremely excited just also realistic expectations
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:05 pm

Its tough to get ranked as socon because there is 0 room for error. We could have been 17-1 and likely had to win tourney to then get ranked if lost to samford. Even despite them shooting what seemed like 80 percent from feep and playing out of their minds that game
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball