2019 Spring season and beyond

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017, 2018
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017. 2018
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: 2019 Spring season and beyond

Postby crabbyterrier on Wed May 15, 2019 4:42 pm

A lot of numbers have changed, including weights. Some good gains and some good losses making for faster D!

Only two players, besides Wild, missing: LB Randy Fuller and LB Rob Saylor. Rob has a twin sister still listed on the lacrosse team. Not sure what happened there. Looking forward to summer roster. Want to make sure we keep all of our new signees!

GO TERRIERS!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Sat May 18, 2019 9:51 am

Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:57 pm

Athlon ranks the Terriers as #10. But as usual pre-season picks are not very important. What matters is how the game is played on the field.

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... op-25-2019

Hero sports has the Terriers as #8 with other SoCon schools in the top 25 also

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-201 ... 5-fcs-ajaj
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:32 pm

Glad to see these rankings--Wofford ranked preseason means we are recognized as a perennial power; having Furman ranked in two polls is also very good; along with Citadel and Chattanooga in one poll; all very good--
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:08 am

+1 Go Terriers...!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:51 pm

More pre-season stuff.

https://twitter.com/Wofford_FB/status/1 ... 8899176449

and a short video with a mix of several games from the past season and spring practice

https://twitter.com/Wofford_FB/status/1 ... 6015009792
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:04 pm

My rankings:
1) Wofford
2) Furman
3) ETSU
4) Mercer
5) Chattanooga
6) Samford
7) The Citadel
8) WCU
9) VMI
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:18 am

Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:37 am

The roster is being updated as we speak. As of right at this moment there are several transfers that are interesting. Already mentioned in a post is Peyton Derrick a QB who transferred from App St. Not previously mentioned is Cagan Campbell who appears to be very fast. Too many to mention. And of course the new Fr guys are there too. Exciting and interesting. GO TERRIERS !!!!
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:52 pm

https://woffordterriers.com/roster.aspx ... =319&path=

See what you mean RT. This is a very talented and experienced group. The freshmen and other new faces, including walk-ons and transfers, also show promise. One name that sticks out for me is Walker Gliarmis, whose dad I remember kicked for the Tarheels. High percentage of academic performers.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby crabbyterrier on Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:08 pm

I was out eating lunch with my wife a couple of weeks ago and ran into Peyton Derrick's father. I told him we were looking forward to seeing his son on the field. He said that Peyton was on campus in classes, rooming with Jimmy Weirick and was very excited about his future as a Terrier. He said WL has said we are going to open it up more this year...for real. I am excited about becoming a bit more of a balanced team. I definitely want to remain run first and to be known for that but I want to be able to also keep defenses guessing in certain situations.

GO TERRIERS!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:23 pm

ld seems like every year each recruiting class is better than the previous year. But at the same time last year's class is very hard to beat (as well as several classes before that) and if I had to rank the classes over the past 10 years I would have such a hard time doing it that I think I would eventually give up in frustration. Anyway this year's entire team is very talented and we should do well this year. Looking forward to another year under Conklin. Not that I think he is doing better than MA. Just that Conklin is doing it his way and it seems to be working. I am wondering if the fact that Peyton Derrick is now a Terrier is that a sign that we are moving toward passing the ball more.

Crabby you touched on the subject that probably a lot of Terrier fans are wondering - are we going to pass more this year ? And I agree that we need to have a more balanced attack on O. Too many times the opposing team - Cit and Fur most notably - load up on the line and dare us to pass. Since our passing usually is not as good as our run game that puts us in a bind. But now we have more weapons - Luther for one - and I feel like our QBs will have improved their passing. So we should be in better shape since we should be better equipped to pass the ball and thus to keep the other team off balance. I cannot think of a better QB pair than Newman and Mosley. Plus we now have Derrick and of course Weirick to back them up.

Looking forward to a great season. However it will not be easy - the other teams are good too and they will be out to get us. We have to bring our A game for all SoCon games (yes even VMI). GO TERRIERS !!!!!
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:31 am

Conklin said on a sports talk radio show (that I can't remember the name, but it streams on twitter) last week that we will be running more set formations under center that aren't the wing.

We're definitely moving in the direction of option first, but more multiple sets. We're going to expect our QBs to pass more, but not in the style of air raid that some people who may think the sky is falling by passing more think.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:18 pm

At QB we return a successful two year starter, and very experienced skilled backup. At WR and TE we have as much talent and experience as perhaps ever. We return our entire highly regarded starting OL, and experienced backups. At RB, while we lost two great ones we return our most experienced and versatile back, plus a slew of others who have game experience, quickness, talent, and size. In sum, we have a lot of experience and versatility among our returning offensive personnel so this seems a good time to mix it up a little more, though I agree with Crabby and others that our option variations should remain the horse we ride in on ... such a treat to behold when it clicks, which is most of the time. We need to keep ‘em guessing on third or fourth and two.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:28 pm

Not to re-litigate people's opinions on the option: But the problem with it is that gap-sound defenses can stop it pretty consistently. That's why our offense has floundered in the playoffs over the last decade or so. Being gap-sound is correlated with being good, so with a random sample of teams during the regular season, we will have good games, bad games, and successful games.

More variation will help us because it throws a monkey wrench in the gap sound model opposing playoff defenses will throw at us in the playoffs. Most good teams at the FBS level incorporate option tactics, albeit not out of the flexbone, but they also have the means to pass it short, medium, and long, while also just running it behind a lead blocker in sets like the i formation (which, by the way, we honestly rarely do and when we have used the fullback in an I formation the 2-3 times we've done it in the last couple years, it was disastrous).

It sounds to me like we're trying to do that. We'll still be base-option, but less so than we were two years ago. I trust Conklin/Lang's innovation. Last year we had our best offensive output on various measures than at anytime in the last decade. It's kind of wild that we got "only" 9 wins, because we also had great defensive output, so in aggregate we held opponents to less points/yards and scored more points/yards.

I'd like to think that was us adjusting to a new system. I'm looking forward to us continuing to grow in year two under coach conklin.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football