Rudest Fans

General Discussion

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Rudest Fans

Postby Tex on Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:10 pm

In your opinion, who has the rudest fans in the Southern Conference?

(Hint: It isn't Wofford fans.)
Tex

Postby terrierbob on Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:37 pm

The only really obnoxious ones I've run across were in S'burg...Western Carolina fans. They were favored, and they were pissed becuase we'd beaten them in the last minute or so.
terrierbob

Postby BestOfBreed on Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:38 pm

I know they aren't in the SoCon anymore but Marshall fans were always pretty bad. Rude, annoying, jerkish... all things that I associate with Marshall fans. I was at The Citadel - Marshall game in 1988 and it was one of the finest football moments of my life. It was in Charleston and it was The Citadels first year that Taafe had them playing pretty well (I think they ended up 7-4). Marshall came in ranked #1 if I remember correctly but the Bulldogs came away with the victory. It was a thing of beauty.

I've had some problems with App State fans but the vast majority of them were more than ok to me.... a few drunk guys out of several thousand is a pretty small percentage. I think that given time anyone would have problems with a few drunk guys at any school. Marshall fans all stunk though. Old men, old women, young men, young women, sober, drunk... it didn't matter. They just had this sneer and way about them. Their lack of much success in I-A helps me sleep at night :)
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Tex on Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:28 am

Agreed that nothing quite approaches the overwhelming crudeness of a Marshall fan. Even their good ones are white trash. The problem, I think, THE REAL problem with Marshall fans is they think the game is played in the stands and not on the field. They know very little about football.

In the current Southern Conference, I'd have to go with GSU. Most, by far, have a lot of class. They have a big school so they do admit a lot of jerks. I'll never forget some thirty year old GSU fan approaching three feet from my then ten year old daughter in order to scream at her "YOU SUCK!"

Another occasion...

FU Fan: "How are you doing today?"
GSU fan: (pretending to cough in his sleave) "YOU SUCK!"
FU fan: "Okay. Best of luck to you and your team."
GSU fan: "F*** YOU A$$hole!"

This GSU fan wasn't drunk. He just didn't realize the game is played on the field. Oh, and he was white trash.
Tex

Postby fgs44 on Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:18 pm

I will second that post Tex. I don't think there is even a close runner-up to Ga. Southern. I've been to two games at Paulsen, and on both occasions my wife and I were insulted, cursed, and threatened by some of their dysfuntional "fans". I was warned by a group of tailgaters to remove the Wofford flags, to prevent the possibility of vandalism to the car should we win. Advice that I followed w/o hesitation. It does'nt take very many of these kind of encounters to give the schools following a bad reputation, even if it is just a very small percentage. By the way, I travel to Wofford's games from Houston, and usually get to 5-6 per year. It sounds like you are also down here somewhere----
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:55 am

Every school has its obnoxious fans, but some do go above the call of duty. I've never been to Georgia Southern, but I've been at games against them in Gibbs when they weren't very well behaved. I've been to road games at Appalachian and Western and had problems. I got a few smart comments at Furman once, but generally they are pretty good. The Citadel is usually very classy, but they are in a little different catagory. Within the SoCon, though, the worst I've seen is GSU and Appalachian. When we were D-II, I don't remember many problems, but there are fewer fans so I guess there was less chance for "issues".
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:03 pm

interesting, there seems to be consistent opinion here that it is gsu followed by app...coincidence, ? ? ? ? i think not
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby gophoenix on Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:38 pm

I say GSU by far. There are a hand ful of bad apples at every place. by far the niceest were at Furman, Wofford and Western.

Must be something about having a good perspective on things.
gophoenix

Postby Ruckus on Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:34 pm

Anybody, much less a GSU fan, who screams in my 9 yr old daughter's face "you suck" will lose his or her teeth (and in the case of a GSU fan, remaining tooth) and will need a large surgical implement to remove my size 11 and half foot from his or her rear end. Didn't they (GSU fans) start a fight 2 years ago with our special team players as they tried to take the field for pregame at Paulsen? I think it was the game on tv. Stereotyping fans is not good or appropriate but there are way too many horror stories about GSU fans to be the exception rather than the rule. If you think they treat us bad, just show up in purple down there for a FU-GSU game and watch what happens. I feel sorry for reasonable, sober, courteous GSU fans (there are some I assume) whom I automatically throw into that category without even thinking otherwise. In GSU's case, the bad apples have definitely spoiled the bunch.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby tom189 on Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:22 pm

The Delaware faithful make the GSU fans look lie the retired persons section at a Davidson game.
tom189

Postby Ruckus on Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:37 pm

Good one.
But the real question is whether all 20,000 of them have more than 1000 teeth collectively between them or whether poor dental hygiene and unibrows are just confined to The 'Boro?
There are bad fans everywhere. Clemson has its share, believe me. The recent Wofford v CU game brought a few out, especially when we had their you-know-whats in a vice the entire game. Georgia too. I don't mean to pick on those 2 schools but it's everywhere. I would like to think though that fans from schools like Wofford, Furman, and the Citadel will continue to have enough class and self-respect to support their schools without becoming rude or crass about it; as long as we police ourselves and not tolerate that behavior from one of our own.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Pawpower1995 on Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:50 pm

I would say GA Southern, then App State.

Now talking about others. I attend quite a few Clemson games, as a Clemson fan. Clemson does have some bad fans. But the rudest was at Maryland. This was the year Clemson went to Maryland, after Ralph Fridgen took over. I went up with a friend of mine. They were rude when we came in, I had beer and food thrown at me. This was not counting the horrible language that was spewing from thier mouths. I was so glad I did not have my wife and kids with me. When we left, we watched the car in front of us get hit by a flying beer bottle, breaking a side window. NO ONE stopped till we got out of that place. I will never go back to their campus again.

Now I have never seen it that bad in the SOCON. I hope I never do.
Pawpower1995

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:23 pm

Pawpower1995 wrote:Now I have never seen it that bad in the SOCON. I hope I never do.

I hope none of us see that type of behavior at any game. I guess the worst I've ever heard about at a SoCon game, although I wasn't there I've seen boatloads written on this so I'm sure it happened, was when Appalachian beat Georgia Southern at home a couple years ago and the Mountaineer fans stormed the field, tore down a goal post, carried it out of the stadium and used it a a battering ram to break a window and dent the side of one of the Georgia Southern buses. Outrageous...
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Cletus on Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:16 pm

Well that's just great. I gave an honest opinion of who the rudest fans are, and it gets promptly erased. Then I look back on the current posts and most of them are months old.

This, my friends, is no way to run a e-RailRoad.

You peeps are morons for letting your page be censured like this.
Cletus

Postby dungeonjoe on Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:19 pm

we may be morons, but the stuff you posted about Furman fans was the reason for the post removal. The comments were offensive.
As far as the rudest fans post goes, that was a mistake I made, and couldn't "resurrect" the post. I apologize.

Feel free to post it again as long as it is not a personal attack or offensive.
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Off Topic Conversations