SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: UNC 11/6

Postby lawdog on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:26 am

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:44 am

The story is not really the score, but what this means to Wofford to have one of the best basketball programs in the nation come to us to play. Our story is a fairy tale to have come from where we were to where we are. Our credit goes to Joe Lesesne, Danny Morrison, Richard Johnson, and Mike Young for dreaming a dream and then making it come true. The credit also goes to Roy Williams and the University of North Carolina for their willingness to come to Wofford to play. I know that Wofford made lots of money sellling tickets, but what we gained by being in the headlines with UNC is immeasurable. If this type of game can help make having tickets and going to Wofford games become the thing to do in the Spartanburg region then the mission is accomplished. We should be able to pack the JRIS with fans who make Wofford one of the great places to play basketball. Personally, my hope is that there will not be so many. empty seats for games this season. They have been sold, but I want to see them filled. This is arguably the best team we have ever put on the floor, and it is high quality basketball they play.
And, as a further note, our athletics office should figure out how to allow season ticket holders who are not going to use their game tickets to make them available to re-sell to those of us who can go to an occasional game. For example, a season ticket holder could notify the ticket office a couple of days in advance that they can't make the game; and then the ticket office could re-sell the ticket (even at a slight premium), keep the money and give the re-seller Terrier Club credit. That woud fill the prominent seats, make the College money and make more folks want to purchase season tickets even if they know they will miss some games.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:59 pm

That’s a great idea, boulder3m. And I would make the sale of the tickets turned in as cheap as possible. Well, I guess it wouldn’t be fair to make them less than regular general admission. But I do think that if the tickets have already been sold once, it’s sort of gravy for Wofford. And if there was a way to make the games extremely affordable for regular folks in town, it could really ramp up attendance. And that would be super cool. (I think football tickets are way, way out of range for many families….but that’s another topic).

About the game: A made shot or two at key times, and the game really might have gone down to the wire. When Fletcher Magee hit those back-to-back 3-pointers and tied up the score, the place was going bananas….I was thinking, “OK, here we go.” But UNC answered, Wofford couldn’t stay hot, and that was sort of that.

Still, I think this Wofford team can be very good.

**Cam Jackson more than held his own – he could be a pretty dominating force in the SoCon this season. He still needs to watch the fouls, but he really is quite a physical presence.
**I was impressed by Keve Aluma. Though he was held scoreless, he mixed it up defensively and had 8 boards. He could be a guy who provides some of that toughness/nastiness that we sometimes lacked last season.
**Storm Murphy was solid and seems a tad more assertive offensively this year. I liked the back-up kid, Ryan Larson, too – he’s not afraid.
**Magee was guarded by a top-notch defender in Kenny Williams; he will have better outings, I believe. He had some success driving into the lane. I liked that. Against lesser competition, I could even see us trying to have him post guys up. Not right by the basket, of course, but if Magee could get the ball, even with back to the basket, about 10-12 feet out on a guy his size or shorter, I think he could totally get some things done.
**I like Nathan Hoover. He plays hard and is tough-nosed. Makes some shots. He’ll be solid this year, I think.
**I was glad Tray Hollowell got some playing time. He’s a real athlete and could be a strong contributor if he can get into a rhythm offensively.
**Matt Pegram and Chevez Goodwin did some good things. Nice 3-pointer by Pegram!
**I’m sorry that Trevor Stumpe was out – he really could’ve helped – and that he’s going to miss more games. Wofford needs him in the rotation.
**I believe that neither Isaiah Bigelow nor Messiah Jones were dressed out. Any news about them? Possible redshirts?
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:45 pm

Good observations dude. I agree that if Fletch could have dropped about two more threes, we had a great chance to win. Williams guarded him well which hampered our rhythm, but Fletch also missed a number of basically uncontested shots. Not complaining ... even great shooters have an off night. Our guys played with heart and class. Loved Aluma's scrappiness. We should learn a lot from this game.

I wondered too about Messiah and Isaiah; they are blue chip types we will need.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:59 pm

I spoke with someone (can't remember who) at Homecoming who said that Wofford is indeed working on ticket resales for Basketball and possibly football as well for people who buy season tickets but can't make it to all the games.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby BubbaDog on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:10 pm

Yeah, my tickets included a flier telling us how to resell our tickets or donate them back to Wofford for special groups to use.
BubbaDog
2012 Pickem Champ

Postby Hobo on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:06 pm

The Tarheels scored 116 against Elon tonight.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:42 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:38 pm

UNC rushes out to a 52-26 halftime lead against Stanford tonight and cruised to a 90-72 win that wan’t as close as that final score. We have played UNC much better than anyone so far. Does this mean we have a good shot at Stanford? I am not going to make that claim but it does give me hope...
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball