individual criticism of student athletes

General Discussion

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

individual criticism of student athletes

Postby fgs44 on Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:45 pm

I know everyone has opinions, and they all differ on most subjects; I am offering mine as an attempt to open discussion regarding whether or not this forum is an appropriate venue for criticism of an individuals athletic performance. My opinion is that it is not. Heres why:
1-These are 18 to 22 year old kids that are at Wofford to earn an education and play their individual sports; they are not professional athletes(Heck they are not even the semi-pros of BCS schools)---They do not deserve to hear negative comments regarding their performance from fans from whom they should receive support---
2-I think that the coaching staff are the only ones truly qualified to offer criticism, and any critical commants from us are in most cases inaccurate, or based on mis-information.
3-I think it reflects in a negative way on Wofford fans; and indirectly on Woffords athletic department for student athletes to read negative comments, for potential recruits to read them, and for the parents of our student athletes and potential student athletes to read them
4-I have seen some very vitriolic comments from some very uninformed fans on other sites(most notably App State and GSU) that I thought were in such poor taste that I truly felt embarrassed for the fans that are representative of the majority---
I think we have a very special school that has done an outstanding job of educating its students and alumni, and our athletic program is representative of the totality of the Wofford experience--It is succeeding in a very competitive environment, and I want this site to be viewed as a forum for reasonable and intelligent discussion without being a forum for criticism of the athletes---We all want them to succeed, and none of us wants them to fail, or feel pressure from us the supporters--
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:50 pm

I agree that we don't want to go the way of individual criticism of players/student athletes. These people play as a team shine or fail as a team; I tend to direct my comments on the team's efforts and performance.

Some might feel differently abot the coaches, however, as paid professionals.
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Return to Off Topic Conversations