Tourney, March 3,4,5

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Tourney, March 3,4,5

Postby boulder3m on Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:47 pm

The truth is that our team was among the best in the league all season long. We didn't play well when we lost Cam or Derrick, but otherwise were in the top 4 and maybe very close to the top. The season was special; the opening of the JRIS; the win over UNC; Fletcher getting a lot of attention. I know South Carolina is a football state and not much of a basketball state. However, the simple fact is that nothing we could do short of defeating a top ranked major football team at the end of the season could ever get Wofford the attention and notoriety that we got from defeating UNC in Chapel Hill. That could be the case with basketball consistently if our program were the focus of attention. Davidson became known nationally for their basketball program in the 60's and early 70's, and still gets attention when playing the top ten teams. They built a new arena that is twice the size of ours, but they still don't fill it up. They essentially sold out football for basketball, and left all the traditional rivalries behind to join a basketball league. I am not suggesting that we do that, but I hope those in power realize the value of keeping our name in the media with basketball. It isn't going to happen with football, and frankly we all have to have a little doubt about the future of football not only at our level but also in general. We have seen the erosion of talent away from football and into soccer and lacrosse in our area, and with the constant drumbeat of scary news about head injuries it is only going to be harder to find parents willing to let their sons play football.
We have a fantastic base of talent on our basketball team, with a group of seniors coming back next year and underclassmen who have gained confidence playing in some big games. I don't know that the Souther Conference is a power in basketball, but it certainly was more powerful this year than we can remember in a long time. I hope UNCG plays to their potential in the tournament and is able to get a win or two. It is time that the SoCon is recognized for being something other than the league that gave the world Steph Curry.
In addition I hope our athletic department can figure out a way to fill those seats that are purchased but not used, and give the JRIS the kind of home court advantage we saw at the Furman game and others.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:57 pm

Go to "Wofford Athletics", and when it comes up, click on "Video". There, for the next few days, you will find a very good recent 8 minute interview of Derrick Brooks (I can't get it to come up the usual way). Derrick is so well spoken and thoughtful, a team guy; his injury about seven games ago hurt us - he provided toughness and experience that we really could have used at the end of the season. I sincerely appreciate his career and hard work as a Short Haired Dog.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:45 am

It would be nice to get another home game in the CIT or CBI. The team had a nice season, winning 21 games, and they deserve to be in the postseason.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:20 pm

Agreed. There are those who think that we may get into the NIT. Would love to see our guys get another chance to play at home.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:52 pm

While I think this team would be competitive in the NIT, I don't see the SoCon getting more than one team in and that would probably be ETSU. At best Wofford has the third best resume overall (behind UNCG and ETSU). I think we have a better resume than Furman because of the OOC wins even though we finished behind them in the regular season.

Based off the quality of our team and the ability to bid for a home game to show off the JRIS, I see us shooting for a CBI slot and settling for the CIT if we have to. I believe we will get one of the two and I hope we can make a run of it to set some momentum up for next year which ought to be a big year for us.
SoCon Champs '03 '07 '10 '12 '17 '18
FCS Playoffs '03 '07 '08 '10 '11 '12 '16 '17 '18
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48 '49 '50 '51 '52 '54 '56 '57 '61 '62 '63 '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby jorober18 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:01 pm

No ETSU in the NIT.

Really can't understand that, but I believe they have declined other post season tournaments.

Any word on us?
jorober18
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:15 pm

"No ETSU in the NIT. Really can't understand that, but I believe they have declined other post season tournaments. Any word on us?"

Thinking same...in checking the CIT website, first round games are slated for next 3 days; however, no teams are listed???
Hopefully, invitation is extended soon. Seems the longer we wait to learn when/where/who we play, team could lose its sharpness.

Gonzaga - UNCG (#13 seed) play Thursday. Zags prevail.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby jorober18 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:09 pm

No CBI, but Mercer is in it... this seems like the dark web of basketball.
jorober18
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:20 pm

Sketchy and obscure, but per the CIT website we are in and have a first round bye. No bracket yet to see who we get the winner of, but we'll have a home game at a time and date to be determined. There's a play-in game for Liberty and NC A&T and I bet we get that winner, bit that's speculation on my part. Time will tell, but the Terriers will play again. Survive and advance time!
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby jorober18 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:35 pm

Relieved that we will play again.

Too special of a season not to get recognition.
jorober18
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:06 pm

There's no guarantee that the second place team in the SoCon gets an NIT bid. It is only the regular season winner IF it doesn't win the tournament. Unfortunately, it appears that the NCAA Tournament sold out completely this year for the big power 5 schools and gave bids to about 3 teams that were undeserving. The little guys get the shaft again. It would not be hard to imagine that the NIT is the same way. They are not going to get fannies in the seats anywhere, so they have to go for ratings from obscure TV to get advertising dollars. For us the ability to get in more practice time and continue to develop the younger players is a real bonus. If we keep the players we have, we will go nearly ten deep. That is a luxury that Mike Young hasn't had in the past. His meticulous motion offense that slows the game a little might go away. This team is built more for running and scoring than any I can remember. We normally play from a set half court offense, but we have some guys that really like to run and are pretty good at doing it.

Addition Monday morning: See this article from ESPN, which confirms that the mid majors are in as much trouble in basketball as the non Power 5 teams are in football
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... nt-chances
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:39 am

Eyes of Old Main wrote:Sketchy and obscure, but per the CIT website we are in and have a first round bye. No bracket yet to see who we get the winner of, but we'll have a home game at a time and date to be determined. There's a play-in game for Liberty and NC A&T and I bet we get that winner, bit that's speculation on my part. Time will tell, but the Terriers will play again. Survive and advance time!

The CIT doesn't have a fixed bracket. After each round of games, they pair up the teams into new brackets.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:14 pm

walliver wrote:The CIT doesn't have a fixed bracket. After each round of games, they pair up the teams into new brackets.

I've now seen that. And that the bye was the result of our RPI and per Mike Young we will travel in the second round. If we can go deep then maybe that win in Chapel Hill will yield us some fresher legs.
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:31 pm

boulder3m wrote:Addition Monday morning: See this article from ESPN, which confirms that the mid majors are in as much trouble in basketball as the non Power 5 teams are in football
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... nt-chances

I agree with this article and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the schools involved in the investigation were excluded since they were on the bubble. This is the same NCAA that let North Carolina off the hook for major, systemic academic fraud that allowed players to remain eligible that directly contributed to multiple championships. If that had been a school with a lesser tradition we all know that the result would have been strikingly different. This is all about money and sadly, Saint Mary's and Middle Tennessee aren't driving ratings like other larger universities.

I absolutely support and expansion of the tournament to 96 and probably eventually to 128. At 96 teams every conference could get a slot for their regular season champion to be guaranteed in even if they lose in their tournament, plus there would be plenty of places for the Power 5's that have winning records. The top 32 would get first round byes so essentially all the best teams would all get an advantage for their regular season performance and many more deserving teams would get a chance to win a game or two and see what happens. Even if Wofford was the worst team in the field they'd be paired with a #9 seed and I think on any given night the Terriers could play right along with if not have a good chance against Kansas State, NC State, Florida State or Alabama.
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:52 pm

Eyes-Just to put in my two cents worth on your UNC remarks- The reason that UNC was not punished is because the classes in question were not proven to be created for nor exclusively for the athletes. IMO the real blame should have been on the Academic Dean and the faculty who let a fraud professor come into the school and be made the head of the African American Studies Department. He created the classes and the system for the students to get credit without working. As I have said before-to use the Duke situation nearby as a foil-which is worse? To have a class that was fraudulent or to bring in a number of "one and dones" who only need to attend classes for one semester in order to meet the requirement to play one full season? Because they are going to be in the combines and preparing for the draft the players will not go to class after the NCAA tournament even if they have gone to class before it. Yet I still believe UNC and Duke are among the top programs in the NCAA Power 5 in regards to their academic diligence. The system is screwed up, man, and the wide open dollar grabbing of the Power 5 conferences is just beginning.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball