Mercer-Senior Day

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Mercer-Senior Day

Postby Hobo on Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:51 pm

Derek Brooks is warming up. Looks like he will at least get a cameo.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Re: Mercer-Senior Day

Postby dude on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:30 pm

That was a disappointing loss. Dadgum.

Mercer drew up a great play with 12 seconds left, or a Wofford guy got lost (or the former caused the latter), to get Strawberry wide open under the basket for a layup. I thought Magee's shot at the buzzer might drop -- but nope.

Mercer's got a pretty good team. Some big dudes and solid athleticism. Wofford isn't bad, either, though, and could have won the game. As I've said, it seems like we are maybe just one athlete -- a defensive stopper, a bruiser in the paint, SOMETHING -- away from being a great team.

Still, what a memorable regular season this has been: Opening a new arena against USC, beating GT on Magee's last-second shot, beating UNC in Chapel Hill, Magee's 45 against UTC. And the season isn't over. We'll see how the seeding works out, and maybe the T-Dogs can get a head of steam....
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:28 pm

Good hotly contested game between two talented teams. We were just a rebound or near miss from winning - hair's breadth.

Jackson was basically unstoppable down low in the second half. Our D was good for the most part, but we let them have just a few too many open looks in the second half. I think we are now scheduled to play them first in the tourney. Beating us three times in one year is a tall order for Mercer; we cannot let that happen.

Rebounding and made FT differential were the biggest reasons we lost. http://woffordterriers.com/news/2018/2/ ... unday.aspx
Last edited by lawdog on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:32 pm

We have to get by Mercer in the Saturday game in order to play UNCG Sunday. That one basket would have make a bunch of difference. Who wouldn't rather play a reeling ETSU team? Interesting that way back at the end of December, sitting there in Greensboro, I realized our second half collapse would be a HUGE factor in the league. For us, for UNCG, for the rest of the league; a reversal would have made so much difference. Oh well. You play the hand you are dealt, and we weren't expected to be the league champion from the start. Has this team overachieved or underachieved-or about what we expected?
On another front, I was so glad to see the seniors appreciated so well this afternoon. What a group. Two players with special stories and situations, and two managers who gave their all and certainly deserve their letters. Basketball is truly a team sport, and there are lots of components of a true team.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:19 pm

What a memorable regular season. My wife got us season tickets for my birthday and the inaugural season at the JRIS was so amazing! Looking forward to the tournament. I can't make it on Saturday but hope/expect to play on Sunday and have a big crew ready to make the trip up 26.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball