2018 Recruiting

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

2018 Recruiting

Postby lawdog on Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:54 pm

At this point, it appears we will have one spot open to recruit for 2018.

Here are the reasons why Zion Williamson should choose to be that 2018 recruit for the Wofford Terriers.

1. In 2018 we will have a talented and experienced supporting cast for him, both inside and outside - our best group ever. Jackson, Pegram, Goodwin, Lowery, Manning and Aluma will be strong support inside, while Magee, Hoover, Stumpe,Theme-Love, Hollowell, and Murphy will do the same outside. Zion will receive knowledgeable coaching and be on an excellent team that will make and advance in the NCAA tourney. Wofford reportedly was the first to offer Zion a scholarship, as a ninth grader. Wofford's appreciation of Zion as a player and student is genuine and longstanding. As with all of Mike Young's players, he will be treated with respect and as an individual. Zion will have an important and versatile role on our team, which will give him varied experience. No doubt we will play a challenging schedule, with the usual group of games against strong teams from major conferences.

2. Regardless of where he plays in college, Zion will likely play only one year before entering the NBA draft as a top pick. Why not play that year in his hometown, where he can enjoy being around family and friends before leaving for the different-city-every-night world of the NBA?

3. At Wofford Zion, a serious student, will receive a bonafide educational experience that will inform and enrich his future. No fluffy non-courses in classes with 250, or taught on-line, by a graduate assistant he will never meet, but rather genuine engagement with substantive topics and issues in small classes taught by PhD's whom he will know and respect and with whom he will directly discuss course material. Zion will stay grounded here.

4. He will play in one of the classiest and newest basketball arenas in the United States, in front of lifetime supporters.

5. He will have the proud legacy of being a Short Haired Dog.
Last edited by lawdog on Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: 2018 Recruiting

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:25 am

I'm sold. Sign him up.
SoCon Champs '03 '07 '10 '12 '17 '18
FCS Playoffs '03 '07 '08 '10 '11 '12 '16 '17 '18
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48 '49 '50 '51 '52 '54 '56 '57 '61 '62 '63 '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:20 am

Here is a little highlight reel from a game last night featuring Zion against past of the Big Baller Brand, coached by Big Mouth Baller himself. I am salivating at the mere remote possibility that he will wear the old gold and black.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... wn-goes-on
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby boulder3m on Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:11 pm

The only thing to do is give that a Ruckus +1
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:18 pm

Terriers have offered MYREON JONES 6-3 170 SG from SUWANEE, GA (LINCOLN ACADEMY). Rivals rates him as a 3 star but have also seen him as a 4 star at 247sports. I don't put a lot of stock in stars but there it is. Other offers from Memphis and Colorado State. https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... nes-140398
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:58 am

The SoCon may yet have multiple teams in the tournament if this story and others breaking are true! Over 50 top programs are expected to be involved, and it may be sooner rather than later. Interesting.

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-fede ... 38484.html
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:01 pm

Myreon Jones has decommitted from Memphis State. Top student. Academically oriented parents. 6-3 guard, averaged over 21 points. If he can and will play some defense, may be just what we need going forward.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus2 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:55 am

I have been trying to follow the Jones saga. His AAU coach says he still wants to go to Memphis if Hardaway will still have him but the popular public opinion is Penny will bring in his 3 AAU studs and there won’t be room for Jones. I guess Jones had not signed the LOI which would have bound both sides. Jones’ AAU coach also says he is opening his recruitment again and has other high D1 interest (I have seen Georgetown mentioned). Personally, I think there is a chance that Tom Crean now at UGa will get on him. Regardless, I don’t think he is a Terrier. Too much influence from the outside; it is obvious he and his circle of influence feel he is better than our level and should play at higher profile program. He would be what the doctor ordered for us but I will be surprised if it will happen. I think we may have left the door cracked for him but I know we are moving on. We had a recruit on campus Friday night.
In many ways, Jones is a microcosm of the many issues with college basketball today. He seems like a great fit for us (more so than UM) but there are lots of interest in play.
FYI - Memphis supporters have been vicious to him on social media primarily because of his past interest in Wofford. It’s not pretty and very demeaning to him and us. I wish him the best wherever he goes but I fear it won’t Spartanburg.
Ruckus2
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:07 am

So why exactly is our program hated and looked down upon so much across the country? We have 4 NCAA appearances since 2010, more than many other schools. Memphis can suck it! So can College of Charleston, who criticized one of their players for transferring to us. F these uppity fans! My cousin’s husband, a C of C grad, rags me about Wofford a lot. I tell him and others from these uppity schools that I wish them bad in their lives. And YES, I tell them that directly to their faces. Many people laugh at me about this issue and say I takes things WAY too seriously and also too personally (especially since I didn’t actually PLAY sports at Wofford), but I don’t care. I am PROUD of WOFFORD and PROUD to be a WOFFORD GRADUATE! I’ll not have anyone look down on my alma mater and just take it! And it seems like people forget about basketball and are actually impressed from an academic standpoint when they hear about my degree, so there is that! I think the truth is people know certain stuff gets under my skin, so they love to do it only for that.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus2 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:46 am

I actually have had a growing concern over the last few years (really since our Big Dance appearances) that lots of people (in all regions) tend to use the reference to “Wofford” as being generally descriptive (at least athletically) of the small no name obscure conference low level program that’s an easy win in all sports. The UNC win helped that to some degree but I guess what stings the most is there may be a grain of truth to that perspective. Compared to the Power 5 conferences, this may be true to some degree. Of course it ignores our high academic reputation and our ability to be competitive in such a small school and low budget environment. What most people don’t realize is that the competitive difference between our level and mid majors is razor thin. The fact we are being referred to at all should be a positive (people know who we are). But this demeaning attitude can definitely form a lot of opinions and perceptions about us that can effect our ability to recruit and sign a player like Jones.
I’ll admit I am disappointed that a smart academically gifted focused kid with parents who value education seem to be swayed by the popular viewpoints of “big time” college basketball. I get the Tubby Smith connection and attraction but the whole Memphis thing is lost on me for a kid like Jones who has such academic potential. Memphis has been for years a poster child for all that is wrong with college athletics IMO. Like I said, I wish Jones the best wherever he goes and all kids need to find the culture and environment they are comfortable and will succeed in. I don’t think he sees us as a fit in that regard now.
Don’t let the bastards get you down, 94.
Ruckus2
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:35 am

Well I see Wofford as the school that does more with less athletically. Yes, we are almost always an underdog to bigger schools in more highly regarded conferences, but then so are all of the other SoCon schools for the most part! The thing is, every now and then we get one of those big boys! And they just hate it! Maybe that’s ultimately why they kind of dislike us. The THINK we should be an easy win, but they know in reality that we are going to battle them and make it tough on them!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:28 pm

I think Jones did sign the letter but asked to be released when Tubby was let go.

WG94, I love your dedication but think you are right that some may rag you because they know it gets under your skin. Those who make any effort to look at the facts know Wofford is a quality place. If they don’t care about the facts, why care about their opinion.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby njterrier on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:52 am

Although we all perceive Wofford a certain way because of our close connection, in order to compete in recruiting at the level you are all discussing - you need to sell out games, win games in March, get players to NBA. Although I'm not sold at all that that is - or should be - the goal, Gonzaga/Butler comes to mind of mid-majors that made that "leap" with their runs starting in 1999-2002 and their recent NBA history. An issue we will always have is the facilities (improved dramatically obviously), academic standards, general size of the school both physically and population wise, support (student body attendance/atmosphere to all events is a joke relatively) and locality (competing with SEC/ACC/Big Time Mid Majors for geographic recruits and general population attention). It is tough to compete out of region (northeast etc) for recruits with no brand value, in region for recruits without the history or atmosphere; and it is tough to compete in region for attention (when even Wofford students are USC/Clemson, etc. fans first) to help build the brand.

Because of the nature of the sport and the geography, baseball is the one "major" sport that Wofford could rely on to build the brand (similar to Coastal Carolina - peek their attendance since winning the CWS).
njterrier
Terrier Pup

Postby lawdog on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:40 pm

As Ruck mentions, we are looking at other recruits as well as Jones. We have strong facilities and had a good year, with several excellent wins, and a promising group returning; we are in fine position to cherry pick a very good player ... he is out there; will we find him? Don’t forget, both Lee Skinner and Noah Dahlman received very little recruiting attention out of high school; I believe we were Lee’s only offer.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:27 pm

I would think that becoming the Gonzaga of the Southeast is probably not realistic. I mean, Davidson has had major success and is the alma mater of one of the world’s greatest and most famous players. But while they’ve continued to have a strong program, they’re nowhere near Gonzaga, seems to me. College of Charleston has a pretty big name in the mid-major world and had a famous coach (Cremins) for a while. But they just this year made it back to the NCAA tourney after not having been since the 1990s, if I’m not mistaken. I think that in this part of the country, mid-major basketball is just a bit too overshadowed by the ACC and SEC and the popularity of football for Wofford or any of the others to become a true competitor on a consistent basis vs. the larger programs.

I think the goal for Wofford probably should be – and I’m guessing this is what Mike Young has his sights set on – is to be a perennial SoCon contender. To be favored among the top 2-3 teams fairly often. To, indeed, win the league and get to the NCAA tourney once every few years. To recruit good kids who will work hard, have fun, and graduate.
And, really, Wofford is pretty close right now. I hoped we’d win the league this year – and, darn, if one of those shots at the end against UNC-G had fallen, I think the T-Dogs might very well have won in the championship game and gotten back to the ‘big dance.’

Wofford has recruited some really excellent players in the D1 era. Quite a few guys who were just great. You can’t ask for much more than to have players like Cochran, Dahlman, Magee, Garcia, Jackson….I think the realistic “next step” in recruiting would just be overall team athleticism. Getting another tall guy here or there who can run the floor and has good hands. Finding a 6-6 guy who’s athletic and versatile. Bringing in a couple really quick guards. Steadily being able to sign a “difference-maker” kind of player – like those named above….just bringing them in a little more frequently.

Another part of it – as njterrier noted – is atmosphere at games. The new arena is absolutely fabulous, and I think the atmosphere was good this year. But there were still lots of empty seats. That’s not as exciting for recruits, I would imagine, as arenas that are full (though, in fairness, there might not be too many of those at the mid-major level). Here again, I think Wofford is close….The program is really popular in the community. There’s a good deal of support. And I think games are better attended by students than in the past. A little nudge in support, both on campus and in town – and among alumni willing to drive to games – and Wofford could have a top-notch atmosphere. I’m not thinking, necessarily, of selling out every game….but having a few games sold out each year and having the main level at least 70 percent full on a consistent basis.

Now, I still think it was a mistake not to put some student seating along at least one sideline. But, overall, I don’t think having a great atmosphere for games is such a reach.
Of course, this stuff is all related. Bigger crowds at games can help in recruiting. Better players help you win more games. Winning more games brings out the crowds. And so on. But the pieces are in place, I think. A terrific arena. Recent success and credibility (NCAA trips in last decade). The wins against UNC and GT this year. The prospect of out outstanding team next season. Seems to me that meaningful improvement on all fronts should be in the program’s grasp. And that still probably doesn’t put Wofford in the realm of a program like Gonzaga – but, again, to be consistently near the top of SoCon, to have a chance to make a run in the NCAA tourney now and again….that would be pretty cool.

The other issue to me would be stability and development of the coaching staff. Other than the top assistant’s position, do any of the others pay well enough to keep guys for very long? I figure it was tough to lose Tim Johnson, for example…..but maybe that’s another discussion….
dude
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball