UNCG, 2/20, 7 pm. ESPN3

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

UNCG, 2/20, 7 pm. ESPN3

Postby lawdog on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:09 pm

UNCG comes to town off a close loss to Mercer. We really need to be ready for a tough game; their D has been very good at times this year and we need to make sure our D (esp. against Alonzo) and rebounding are good for this one. Their D against us in the first game erased our 14 point lead and gave them the win.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: UNCG, 2/20, 7 pm. ESPN3

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:39 pm

Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:47 pm

Down 36-33 at the half. Looked bad at the start but the good guys have been playing hard on defense. Hoover leading the way on offense.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:57 pm

Watched it on the TV from afar. Pretty mediocre game on our part. There was a time that we were a good enough team to win the conference. Alonzo got the better of Fletch in both games. Regardless, I am proud of our guys and the effort this year.

I switched over near the end when I saw that The Citadel was beating ETSU up there and watched the end. Unfortuately, what appeared to be a season with a super team in our league has seemingly crashed and burned. ETSU will probably fall to a #14 seed if they win the tournament.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:23 am

We gave a good team way too many 2nd chances, turned the ball over too much (again) and just could not keep our intensity up for long enough. We are definitely missing an ingredient or two. Maybe with a healthy Brooks and if a few others were making their shots, maybe we win this one, but UNCG is very athletic and definitely outplayed us down the stretch.

Will be interesting to see how we finish against ETSU and Mercer. 2 wins would really give us some mo heading into the tourney.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:50 am

Went down to the game. Our effort was good and it was close to the end. Alonso was our nemesis, again. UNCG is talented and our margin of error is slim against them. Stumpe is in a slump and Fletch did not have a great game. Jackson was good inside but some lame reffing put him on the bench too long. We have beat them 9 of last 11 at our place. We could still win the tourney but need to be at our best.
Last edited by lawdog on Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:57 am

lawdog wrote:Jackson was good inside but some lame reffing put him on the bench too long.

Agreed. If he sneezes near an opponent, it seems like he gets whistled for a foul. However, he always seems to pick up 1-2 fouls trying to guard a guard 30 feet away from the rim which has to drive MY absolutely crazy! I know we like to pressure the ball at every opportunity, but he needs to switch sooner and/or back off the guards a bit.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:48 am

I'm not blaming the refs for the loss but daggum it sure looked like, on a couple of occasions, they blew the whistle before Cam even came close to another player. Frustrating. UNCG has good size and athleticism and the Alonso kid is a special player. The bounces definitely went their way last night. Last two will be tough but it's all about the three days in Asheville. We have to have a crazy hot first weekend in March. We need Fletch at his best, Stumpe to hit some shots and Hoover to play with the same intensity as last night. Hoover was awesome in the first half, all over the court. I think he was a bit gassed at the end.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:32 pm

True, the refs, one in particular, went against us routinely last night. One call on Aluma and one on Magee were fantasies, and they missed at least three obvious double dribble/walking calls on UNCG. Can't say they cost us the game, but was frustrating to see.

We can hunker down and win the tourney; want to win at least one of our last two though.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball