NSD

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017, 2018
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017. 2018
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: NSD

Postby lawdog on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:41 pm

Below is our 2018 roster, including new signees.

Following NSD, where are we strongest/deepest?

What are potential weaknesses or unmet needs?

http://woffordterriers.com/roster.aspx? ... h=football
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus2 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:55 pm

Weaknesses: we didn’t get a TE and lost out on 2 good ones in Allen and Wingard.
Strengths: we got 5 playmakers on offense, 3 good OLs and speed speed speed on D.
Needs met and upgraded in some ways.
I give this class a solid A (we close on either Campbell, Ifanse, or Wingard, and it moves to an A+).
Need a long snapper too.
Better than NSD, I like what I am hearing/seeing in our coaches. I love what JC has to say and how he goes about his business: focused, very up front and business like, smart, the main things stay the main things, values all the right things. A grinder; won’t be outworked. Teams take on the culture and personality of their coaches. Bodes well.
I am concerned about our prep for next year in that the biggest changes and most work will happen on OL where we lose the most and we have a first year coach in Trey Johnson. Nothing against him at all but I am a little worried about his inexperience in prepping those guys. A little worried about new DC for same reasons but JC will backstop him so all should be good. Wheeler takes over as STC and again a little worry there.
Seeing practice will be energized and competitive. Let’s get some guys healthy from off season surgeries.
Ruckus2
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:47 pm

Just curious, I don't see him listed under coaches but did we have a change with Strength and Conditioning or is that for all sports?
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:57 pm

Altdog7 To answer your question or give it my best shot attached are all of the teams with coaches. I do not see any team with a S&C coach even FB but there are Meddler and Shattuck under S&C. So I am assuming that they are responsible for all athletes. http://woffordterriers.com/staff.aspx

After looking at the roster I do not see any glaring weaknesses although maybe slight weaknesses at CB, FB and TE simply because filling the 2 deep with experienced bodies will be trying. I did not mean that we do not have talent, speed, etc. We definitely have plenty of players with all of the skills needed. Just not significant experience. The biggest weakness could be the fact that the new coaches Seifkes, Smith, Johnson and Conklin himself may not know the players well enough to call the best play to get the most out of each player. But maybe not though and hopefully so. Because they will have the spring and summer to get to know the players. IMHO Wood did ok as DC and he seemed to get better as the season progressed. But at the same time it seemed like his inexperience showed itself. So replacing him with Seifkes and Conklin (he is a D guy) seems like we are not loosing too much and possibly even gaining a little depending on how well the D plays. I feel confident that we will be ok although we may have some growing pains.
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:31 pm

Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:00 am

I concur that we have the level of talent and experience that will assure vigorous competition at all positions. In a few positions (e.g., tight end) the experience level is not high, but there is some and the talent level is solid. A lot to look forward to.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:04 pm

By the way, we may have signed a 2nd Qb in this class. Just watched the film on Dre Yarbrough and he could easily play QB for us. Excellent speed and hard to bring down for a small guy. Arm looks adequate for what we do. I know he is listed as an athlete but put a redshirt year on him and he could line up behind center in the future with Weirick. I suspect he will end up somewhere else (position-wise) but he looks like a nice addition.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Good point AD ... he is a player; has to be, having broken Amanti Edwards’ records. We also must not overlook Corey Cooper, the RS freshman QB who excelled on a good team in a strong league at Havelock; his film is impressive too. And of course, Miller Mosely is a strong talent too. Lots of competition at qb.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus2 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:07 pm

We may see a position transition for a couple of these in the spring/summer.
Ruckus2
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:13 pm

Here is Southernpigskins (SP) ranking of the SoCon FB recruting classes. From years past I do not remember the Terriers as having one of the top classes according to SP. Interesting but I do not take it seriously. Games are not won on paper but on the field http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/20 ... -rankings/
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:57 am

True, this rating is pure speculation. We’ll know more when it is time to strap it on.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:31 am

To the best of my knowledge, we have never had a "highly rated" recruiting class.
In fact, historically, WCU and Chatty have had very highly "rated" classes, even when the teams were very very bad.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:50 pm

In the past there have been instances where the potential of certain recruits to contribute seemed iffy. I have not sensed that in our most recent few classes but rather have sensed genuine and deserved excitement about virtually all of them. As a result our talent level and depth seem really to have improved and the “next guy up” enthusiasm has taken hold.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:04 pm

It's a crap shoot at this level to rank recruiting classes.

Unless you're NDSU
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus2 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:18 am

We have a new addition to this class: LS Colin Springer (5’11” 195) from Newberry SC has committed to us.
LS is an overlooked and undervalued position, extremely critical to the success of our STs (punt and FG/PAT). Graduating Sr. Ross Hammond did an outstanding job the last 4 years.
Ruckus2
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football