@ Furman 2/10

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

@ Furman 2/10

Postby Hobo on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:22 am

Big game in Travellers Rest today. Is anybody making the trip to "enjoy" Timmons and the hospitality?
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Re: @ Furman 2/10

Postby boulder3m on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:13 pm

Never seen the site so quiet on a game with Furman that means something. Seems like after the loss to ETSU and the bad road trip everything went silent. We still have a team that will probably win 20 games, and that is not too common in Wofford history. Wofford has a lot more to gain by playing good basketball than we ever will in football. Our folks need to get behind this team and help them get to the top.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:35 pm

Wonder if the school bussed any students over to the game
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby BubbaDog on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:17 pm

Not sure what that was in the first half. Hope they can at least make it respectable.
BubbaDog
2012 Pickem Champ

Postby crabbyterrier on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:00 pm

I would say it doesn’t sound like we have any students there but they really haven’t had a lot to cheer about. We are ice cold!
Come on short -haired dogs!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby BubbaDog on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:20 pm

An incredibly poor showing during the stretch run of the season. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear this team I'll get very far in Asheville.
BubbaDog
2012 Pickem Champ

Postby Ruckus2 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:34 pm

Completely and utterly embarrassed.
I lack words.......
Ruckus2
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:43 pm

http://woffordterriers.com/news/2018/2/ ... 76-52.aspx

We need to get past this and I think we will.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:33 pm

thouroughly embarrasing to be seen at Timmons with a Wofford sweatshirt today...I endured catcalls on my way to my car...but I had no comebacks
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:44 pm

I don't know as much about basketball as I do football, but we're not a good team right now.

We've lost 4 of our last 6 games and had leads in all of them, some stretching to 8+ points or so in 3 of those losses. We've been embarrassed on the road. In many of these games we've come out the gates swinging for the first 5 minutes and then we lay an egg for the rest of the first half. Happened against Samford, at Mercer, and now Furman.

I thought we were socon championship caliber earlier in the season, but really if you take away the UNC game (a big if, I'll grant), we're about the same as we were last year. We can't win on the road, and we lucked out by getting some early home games.

We're a very young team.

I think we go to the CIT and get blown out by 20 in the first round.

This year ain't the year.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:04 pm

I’m glad I missed this one. Looking at the stats, it appears we relied heavily on the 3 and shot a very low percentage. Really need to be able to establish some inside scoring. Cam doesn’t seem to be himself since the concussion. Pegram and Aluma have a long way to go before they can be considered scoring threats. We also miss Brooks’ toughness and rebounding.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:27 pm

It is hard to believe this is the same team that played Furman at home. For the players, coaches and fans this was a total embarrassment. Either we don't know how to play defense or forgot. When you are in a slump like we were in the first half it all starts with defense, and our team just quit playing it. Unfortunately this is NOT a young team. Our starting center is a fourth year player and our shooting guard is a junior. Another starter is a senior and another a third year player. Our point guard is a freshman, and we have other freshman contributors, but our core has lots of experience. A total collapse like this shouldn't happen. As a matter of fact, one would think it would be exactly the opposite. We completely collapsed at UNCG in the second half, but rallied to win something like 10 of the next 11. Is Derrick Brooks that valuable, that we completely fall apart when he goes down? Is Cam that valuable, that the whole team forgets how to play when he gets hurt? This is the time that teams with internal leadership call a coachless meeting and figure out how to snap out of it. Otherwise we may not win another game. We have gone from a legitimate playoff contender to a joke in just over two weeks.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:25 am

We are actually the third youngest team in division one, next to Auburn and Kentucky. There was a graphic about it a couple games ago
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:55 pm

That stat must take in all the bench players. Duke started 4 freshmen and a senior against UNC the other night. Our starters are probably among the most experienced (effectively 2 seniors and 2 juniors and a freshman) we have had-another reason why we shouldn't be in total collapse. Yesterday UNC was playing NC St and State went on a 19-0 run. Roy Williams didn't make a move-just stood there and stared at his players. I guess it worked!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:10 pm

We were going along just fine, winning games and playing very well. Then a little adversity hits with the injury to Cam Jackson. It’s like a balloon was just burst. We immediately became ordinary. Cam is a good player but he’s not THAT good! But the way our team played without him you would’ve thought he was LeBron James. Then Cam comes back and Brooks goes down...we seem to get even worse. We just seem to have a lot of trouble overcoming bumps in the road and playing through a bit of adversity. And we still typically play very poorly on the road because we are not working hard enough on defense. This to me is not an issue with Mike Young and the coaching staff. This is all on the players. They hve to get better and, more importantly, they have to get TOUGHER. And by that I mostly mean MENTALLY TOUGHER! Otherwise the rest of this season-and next season too-are not going to go the way we want it to. Because life is not perfect and things aren’t going to always go swimmingly...you have to be able to push inconveniences aside and play through them and our guys so far have failed miserably in that regard.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball