No Football Banquet....

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: No Football Banquet....

Postby Ruckus2 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:37 pm

I am very disappointed to hear this but I feel fairly confident this is an admin decision, not coaches. It makes some sense given the turnover on staff. I am glad the team is getting a ring ceremony to recognize their accomplishments.
It always stinks when a new staff takes over and the fall out reaches the players.
Ruckus2
Junior Terrier

Postby T-Dog 4 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:03 pm

I may be naive, but a banquet seems like a great opportunity for more than a few things: honor the seniors, while recognizing/including both Coach Ayers and Coach Conklin. Seems like a great way to to acknowledge this team’s accomplishments, to mark the coaching transition and to build on the momentum and foundation of the program moving forward. What am I missing?
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby Buckeyeterrier on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:07 pm

There has been zero communication to parents or the players about any sort of plans. The administration clearly dropped the ball here IMO. Disappointing.
Buckeyeterrier
Terrier Pup

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:15 pm

zero updates........shrugs
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Buckeyeterrier on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:35 am

I'm with you, Mr. Taylor. Like you, I appreciate everything that Wofford has done for my son but I'm equally disappointed in the lack of communication here etc. I'm forever grateful to Wofford and I will always be proud to say that Ross was a terrier, but he and his classmates deserve a proper send off. Shrug+1.
Buckeyeterrier
Terrier Pup

Postby lawdog on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:33 am

TerrierVision wrote:After seeing this thread, felt a reply was needed. While it is true that the traditional banquet held in conjunction with the end of spring practice is not scheduled, we are going to honor the team later this spring. The goal is the have an event where the team will receive their SoCon Championship rings, but we are not able to set that date until we get an estimate of when they will be ready (as they would not be ready by the end of spring practice). Hope that clears things up.

Rereading this TV, it appears a ring ceremony but no usual banquet is planned. Has this happened before? Do you know the Athletic Director’s reasoning? This seems to make no sense; it would appear both would happen together. What are we missing? Would it not be appropriate for parents to contact the administration as to what is going on?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby OlRB#3 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:59 am

Maybe former players should reach out a express our disappointment in this class not being honored for their achievements. Since 2004, I’m not aware of a class not having the end of year banquet. I’m disappointed that these young men’s Wofford career is ending on a sour note.
OlRB#3
True Terrier Fan

Postby PeeDeeMan on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:43 pm

Not sure if this is accurate, but I heard that Conklin ran off the coach who had done this for years and now the Athletic Department is scrambling...
PeeDeeMan
Terrier Pup

Postby Atldog7 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:53 pm

It can't be that hard to set up. They arrange functions for much larger crowds than that. Just needs to get done.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:22 pm

I am sure that I am not very up to speed, but is a football banquet an annual event? I remember a recognition event at the conclusion of Spring Practice, but not a formal banquet-am I wrong? I, of course, was only the recepient of a full scholarship worth over a quarter of a million dollars in todays money, so I was not very concerned about the banquet that I did not get-and, I loved the opportunity to play football after high school with my brothers at Wofford-
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus2 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:46 am

I hope the powers that be get this right because I believe this event which is a relatively new tradition creates and fosters good will within the program.
But as a point of context, Mike Ayers did not throw a party or have a banquet in ‘88 when he got on campus. Quite the opposite. The program was in bad state in terms of recently poor seasons but I can assure you that the sacrifice, dedication, hard work, sweat equity, and bonds of brotherhood of those graduating in ‘88 was no different than those exiting the program today.
Maybe instead of asking/expecting the college to do something for them, this class could start a new tradition and pledge 100% participation in giving to the Terrier Club to help fund the path of others to gain the benefit of a Wofford education and experience as a way of giving back and paying the gift they received forward. That truly is the Wofford Way. Even if it’s only $10 a man the message would be very powerful and a complete change in our culture where 9% of athletic scholarship athletes give back to the school after graduation.
Just saying.....
Ruckus2
Junior Terrier

Postby CarolinaDog on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:53 am

fgs44 - +1

I see both sides on this. I am forever in debt and grateful for the opportunities Wofford has given me.

However, the banquet was something my teammates and family always looked forward to. It was a chance to "break bread" one last time as a family. A lot of relationships between players and players families were galvanized throughout the season and the banquet was a way to celebrate the accomplishments and tribulations from the past season.

I think the ring ceremony will be nice, but we need to continue our tradition. I know Richard Johnson and staff will make this right.

I thank the senior class and wish them luck in their future endeavors. They have reestablished a winning tradition and have laid the groundwork for some exciting times to come.

Ruck - great idea about the Terrier Club. We all know, as a private institution, it is difficult to generate funds for our athletic department.
"Well done is better than well said." ~Benjamin Franklin
CarolinaDog
Junior Terrier

Postby mudrat43 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:40 am

I think it a wise policy to hold our collective fire until everything shakes out before graduation! Just saying...!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:52 pm

Am I assuming correctly that some seniors may be out of school already and on to bigger and better things?
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eric Deutsch on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:59 pm

Atldog7 wrote:Am I assuming correctly that some seniors may be out of school already and on to bigger and better things?

I drove 6-7 hours each way with my father in 1 day for mine, even having graduated months earlier. You make time for what's important to you. Never assume those guys won't come back for the banquet.
Eric Deutsch
Junior Terrier

PreviousNext

Return to Football