Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Wofford Coaching Search

Postby Oak Grove on Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks for sharing, CD.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eric Deutsch on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:45 pm

I'm not happy with the way things turned out so I'm going to keep the majority of my opinions to myself. I wish Coach Conklin and his new staff the best of luck but I doubt I'll be making the effort to come down to a game this year. Maybe the feelings of betrayal by the administration will fade between now and the season, but I'm not holding my breath.
Eric Deutsch
Junior Terrier

Postby WoCo56 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:05 pm

I am thinking the same thing Eric. I think it will be a long time before I end up back on campus. The program as we knew it is no more. It is a shame the administration took this approach.
WoCo56
Terrier Pup

Postby Atldog7 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:26 pm

Can you guys expound on that?? Some of us don't have the same connections into the locker room. Is it because we went outside the "chain of command" so to speak? I assume that is why Nash is gone but haven't really heard any insight or feedback from former players.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby milesy20 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:04 am

Definitely wish Coach Conklin the best. I really hope that the uneasy feeling I get from the process is unfounded and that it was indeed Coach Ayers's decision to retire. If so, I suspect we would see even more turnover with assistant coaches... and that the announcement would not have been such a shock to all.

For what he has done for our program, Coach Ayers's exit was shockingly abrupt.

At the very least I hope that CC reaches out to CA and can pick up where his predecessor left off.
milesy20
Class of 1998
milesy20
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:10 am

I can understand how the staff could be disillusioned by the coaching hire. Everything out of the College for years has been that things would be status quo and that's not what ended up happening. Maybe there's a plan and maybe there isn't. It is also reasonable that some coaches will move on for a variety of reasons. I would imagine that between now and this time next year we will have some players move on, too. I will reserve judgment and give Coach Conklin the benefit of the doubt, but like everyone, I will be watching. Watching for results on the field, results off the field and the way the program conducts itself. It will be interesting to see what the players do after the first road game when the opponent plays their alma mater.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:07 am

Winning cures all doubts.

I understand why people are upset.

I think everyone involved in the program, long term, will be okay. Even those who weren't retained or left the program. Change and transition is painful for anyone and any program not accustomed to it. Stability and routine creates confidence and expectations in how things are.

For the sake of the program, something like this needed to happen at some point. Maybe not in this specific way, but still, it had to be. Whether or not it pays off or if it was botched will be seen over the next couple of years.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby PeeDeeMan on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:39 am

I am still mystified by this pick beyond the desire for change for change’s sake. Yes, he was an ACC coordinator, but we are not talking about Clemson here. I still don’t see much of a track record beyond job hopping.

I am also hearing the former players are livid at how this has gone down and how certain coaches have been treated in the transition. If it’s true, it’s not the Wofford Way.
PeeDeeMan
Terrier Pup

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:24 am

One sure way to not be working at Wofford anymore, would be to speak negatively about how the administration handled the coaching hire... I think a lot of you are missing the boat... #Facts
SmallTownTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eric Deutsch on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:29 am

PeeDeeMan wrote:I am also hearing the former players are livid at how this has gone down and how certain coaches have been treated in the transition. If it’s true, it’s not the Wofford Way.

This is an accurate statement.
Eric Deutsch
Junior Terrier

Postby Retiredterrier on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:47 am

Since other Terrier fans have made comments I will share my own. I would have taken a different approach as I believe in promoting from within. If you have employees who have been with the school for many years and have done a good job then they should be rewarded and promoted. So I would have interviewed all interested persons - internal and external - to be fair to all. Unless an external candidate was head and shoulders better than an internal guy then the final candidates would be internal guys. Agreed Conklin is a very good candidate but is he significantly better than the current staff ? IMHO he is not but that is just my opinion and I am on the outside looking in. Anyway to make a long story short my final candidates would have been Lang, Nash and possibly Wood. with most likely Nash coming out as HC because IMHO he was the best candidate of the three. But again that is just my opinion. And then to fill the void of other internal guys being promoted we could have brought in a young stud (Eric B for instance or Dan Tavani) or young studs depending on the number of vacant positions. Hopefully we could have found former Terriers to fill these 'young stud' positions. Former players that are now coaches and have proven that they are good coaches.

At the same time and on the flip side now that Conklin has been hired as HC then I will support him and the school as I have in the past. I have not lost any of my enthusiasm for Wofford because of this hire. What is done is done and there is nothing that I can do to change it so I might as well accept it and move on. Go forward and let it go. But that is just the way I see it. And I am hoping that with a few coaches leaving (not that I wanted anybody to leave. I wanted the entire staff to stay intact) that we can hire some 'young studs' to fill any vacant positions that come open. By young studs I mean some former Terriers and not just anybody. We should target former Terrier players. GO TERRIERS !!!!
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby OlRB#3 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:03 pm

I realize that some are upset with this hire. I for one love the hire. I think we at Wofford get to hung up on “Wofford Guys” for our program to get where it needs to be, we need some outside influence and people that have experience outside of Wofford. I absolutely hate that Coach Nash is gone, as he has been a pillar for our offensive success. Everyone else that has left had a great opportunity to move up the coaching ladder. I would love to see CC bring in some guys that have had experiences outside of Wofford. I think if you combine some new ideas with our current staff, things could get exciting. You can’t promote from within for the sake of keeping everything inside Wofford. Coach Ayers got us to this point. Now we need someone to continue to carry the torch and take Wofford to the next level.

Also, for those saying how abrupt CA’s retirement was, how would you have imagined his retirement to go? Just curious what the expectation was?
OlRB#3
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:29 pm

Personally, I think his retirement was exactly what I would have expected: understated and classy. He did not want last season to be about him, but about the team and that is what we have all come to expect from MA because of the kind of man he is. The accolades and adoration can come later when the field should be named after him and we can pay him the respect that he deserves then. But as always, he is not a "ME" kind of guy and I suspect the way the retirement occurred was on his terms.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:07 pm

I was actually surprised that the administration was surprised by the announcement - I mistakenly assumed that the whole 30th anniversary promotion was a secretive farewell tour deal. I had read rumors since this summer that this was his final year. On the other hand, I have no reason to believe that Ayers' retirement didn't go down as he described it. In retrospect, it would have been very helpful if Richard Johnson and President Samhat had been notified earlier on.

I have no knowledge of how the search went down, but it does appear to be a much more legitimate search than our "national search" for a baseball coach where "national" apparently meant within the Spartanburg City Limits.

My first choice would have been Eric Nash, the other two internal candidates didn't appeal much to me - Wood is too inexperienced, and Lang struggles as it is to get plays in and I think would struggle with game management. Although I wish Nash had stayed, he is too good of a coach to stay at position coach level another 5-10 years. A problem with our current coaching model has been that there is little room for advancement. Hopefully Nash lands well (but not in the SoCon). And I also hope we haven't burned bridges with the departing coaches, as I don't expect Conklin to stay for 30 years.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby crabbyterrier on Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:36 pm

I feel like I slept through part of a movie and am confused at the part I woke up in! What happened over the last day or so or what info has surfaced in the last day or so to cause this eruption of negativity???
Confused.

GO TERRIERS!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football