Furman Jan. 13

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Furman Jan. 13

Postby lawdog on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:43 pm

Dude, agree with your point about student seating. Plus, they deserve better seats ... half the time those seats are poor.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:48 pm

What a game! Just got home from the game.
- the crowd was great
- that Aluma chase down block
- Cam's steal and breakaway dunk
- Hoover's big shots
- Derek's rebounds
- Stumpe's emergence as a threat when Fletcher is being guarded close
- Storm's running of the show and ability to hit open shots
- Fletcher playing D

Man, I like this team!
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:06 am

Just returned from my first visit to the JRIS. That is a fantastic venue. Looking around it is hard to find anything that isn't done extrememly well. BTW, in the student section called the Bone Yard there appear to be no seats-just bleachers for standing. To address that first; some schools put the students at the end away from the home bench to add intimidation. That's not only a bad idea, it just begs trouble. By having the students down on the "Wofford" end of the court it keeps them a little more under control. I hope that an "after action" survey can be done with the students who actually go to the games and see what they think about the seating. Also, there were lots of empty seats (already sold) in the area across from the benches. Yet there were people milling around in the entrance who couldn't get a seat inside. Some of the large basketball programs allow season ticket holders to give their tickets back to the school before games and allow them to resell the tickets and credit some portion as a gift back to the school. The only stipulation is that you want the buyers to be for the home team!
As for the game itself, I thought Furman had our team scouted very well. They jumped our skip passes time and again, and caused most of our 18 turnovers. Thier perimeter players slapped at the ball in Fletcher's hands and did a great job of knocking it loose. I thought he did a great job of trying to go to the basket and let others score the ball. The mantra of our opponents appears to be "make someone other than Magee beat us." And they did! Our guys persevered through some pretty rough play designed to throw us off our game. It is getting to the point that our opponents don't know where the scoring is coming from, and it has got to be frustrating to them. Cam appears to be finally getting the respect he deserves from the refs, and they are not looking to get him out of the game as they were in previous years. Keve is going to be a tremendous help taking the pressure off of Cam, and you just can't say enough about Stumpe and Briggs contribution. Personally I am glad that Furman showed our weakness in jumping the perimeter passes. We can fix that, just as we can overcome the overplays on Fletcher.
The JRIS has the feel of a big time arena but every seat is so close to the game. It is a brilliantly planned facility. If a recruit were there tonight he would have loved the atmosphere. Zion????
BTW, as a many year season ticket holder at Wake Forest, I took a family of four to the Wofford game for far less than one ticket to a Wake game plus parking-and had a much better time. The city of Spartanburg turned out, and I hope many of them will be coming back again and again.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:08 am

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:55 pm

^^

I'm not arguing in favor of creating a situation that could lead to problems. But surely there could have been one section along a sideline set aside for students -- if only behind the home bench. My guess is that it was primarily about the desire to sell season tickets, a money thing. I can appreciate that. But I think it was short-sighted.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:39 pm

I would imagine the coaches were allowed to make the decision on where they wanted student seating. It's pretty effective. They are near the bench but not so close as to interfere by sound or actions with the players. Also, most teams prefer that the area behind the visitors bench be the visiting team's tickets. Not sure what our policy is-nor where the Wofford players' pass holders sit.
Does anyone remember the days in the old Clemson arena when the football team sat on the visitor's goal (in the second half) baseline and physically intimidated the opponents? When I was at Wofford we played Erskine, and the fans sat just above the floor and the players' heads were about at knee level of the seats. It was not uncommon for players and cheerleaders to have their heads smacked during the games!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:53 pm

Seems like there are plenty of arenas where students sit along at least part of a sideline.

Anyway, I won't keep harping on it. Just seems like a missed opportunity to me.

It was nonetheless a great atmosphere for college basketball. I hope there were recruits in attendance. I'd imagine they'd have been impressed.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:27 am

I wonder if they'll have Zion make his announcement to come to play at Wofford before the game on Saturday, at halftime, or immediately after the alma mater? I really don't have a preference but maybe just after the game would be best. #dreambig! #shocktheworld!
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:58 am

I like where you head is!!
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm

Unfortunately, we do not appear to be on his radar

https://247sports.com/Article/Hoophall- ... -113688600

Unless he is just giving everyone the Okey-doke
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:02 pm

I loved dreamimg, and you guys actually had some very good agruments in favor of Zion attending Wofford, but I never really seriously thought Zion would actually pick Wofford. So I am not going to be too disappointed when he announces his preference. However, if he is puling the wool over everyone’s eyes and does pick Wofford, I will be pleasantly surprised and thrilled to welcome him to the program! Just FWIW, if I was in his shoes I’d come to Wofford, but he is not me.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:15 pm

He should be choosing between the Tar Heels and Terriers, and select the latter. Clemson basketball? Really?
Last edited by lawdog on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:16 pm

More comedy gold from the UFFP. Race matters guys:

Forgive my political incorrectness but Woffy has too much white meat on the floor for our guards to settle for trying to outshoot them. They're second in the country in 3-point shooting for pete's sake.

:mrgreen:
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball