Harvard, Jan 10

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Harvard, Jan 10

Postby lawdog on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:10 am

+1 WG 94.

Defense on both sides was intense and their offensive rebounding was dominant. Neither team shot the 3 well, but we shot them, and free throws, better than they did and that was the difference. Magee was excellent on the boards and distributing the ball. Stumpe and Murphy hit some big shots, and Hollowell looked confident. Brooks played really really hard, as did Jackson. The Harvard kids competed hard and well and showed a lot of class. I thought the SEC officiating crew were a little inconsistent and picayunish on us a few times.

http://woffordterriers.com/news/2018/1/ ... 63-62.aspx

Small observation: we now have a really good pep band at basketball games, and even a few cheerleaders. They do a great job and it is a big help.

Loved seeing the new arena for the first time; really classy, not gaudy. We filled it about 2/3 ... good crowd.
Last edited by lawdog on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:36 am

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:55 am

woffordgrad94 wrote:Well, we were outscored in the paint 30-10, were outrebounded, and shot only 40% (with Fletcher shooting only 3-13 from three). But we managed to win 63-62. Fletch, despite his shooting woes, lead the way with 19 points (although he did miss his first foul shot of the season. He was 6 of 7 tonight and is now 46 of 47 for the season). Fletcher also had 7 boards and 4 assists. Storm Murphy had a very solid game and ended up with 12 points and 4 assists. Trevor Stumpe battled foul trouble and ended up fouling out, but he scored 11. Derrick Brooks had a huge offensive board and then made the game winning free throw and we held Havard for the last seven seconds to claim a victory. I’m just relieved we found a way to win despite not bringing our best game tonight. We better play much better Saturday or it might get ugly fast! Harvard Shot only 39% for the game, 5 of 26 from three and 11 of 16 from the line, which really bailed us out. The Crimson missed a ton of open looks, just as we did.

I made my first visit to the Jerry last night for this one. The level of play for both teams was less than stellar, but what a great experience. First class venue. Two solid programs and a game that came down to the last second. Hard to beat.

I was as frustrated as anyone (with the probable exception of our coaching staff) about the easy buckets we gave their bigs, particularly down the stretch in the 2nd half. To Harvard's credit, their bigs are very athletic and were able to draw our guys to them and still be able to dish to the open man. They really took advantage of us when we doubled down on the man penetrating and we never adjusted.

Not a pretty win, but a win nonetheless and all wins are good, especially against an experienced coach and program like theirs. Both teams shot a pretty low percentage despite some decent looks, but we never trailed.

I sure hope we shoot it better against the Barneys on Saturday or it may be a long one! Should be a packed house from what I am hearing.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:10 am

Harvard's perspective. Classy, and accurate, remarks from Amaker. http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2018/ ... ford-2017/
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:08 am

lawdog wrote:Harvard's perspective. Classy, and accurate, remarks from Amaker. http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2018/ ... ford-2017/

My favorite quote from the article'
Though the Crimson trailed the entirety of the second half, the second ever iteration of the bowtie and button-down affair between the two programs began as a back-and-forth effort from both teams.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball