Harvard, Jan 10

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Harvard, Jan 10

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:20 am

Crimson Stats: 6W- 9L
* snapped a 3-game losing streak by beating Darmouth yesterday, 61-51 (first Ivy League win)
* mixed performances so far this season: lost to ranked teams: St. Mary's and Kentucky; no top 25 wins
* fared okay vs. their local "rivals" with wins vs. MIT, UMass (needed Ot) and Boston U; but, lost to Northeastern (across the Charles River); also beaten by Holy Cross (neighbors in Worcester); Vermont, George Washington, Cal-State Fullerton, Manhattan and Minnesota
* leading scorer is Bryce Aiken (G) 16 ppg, had been out with knee injury; forwards Seth Towns (6'7") and Chris Lewis (6'9") average in low teens and are their force inside
* many of their players who helped defeat us on New Year's Eve, 2015, have graduated; notably their center

Spoke with MY at the Furman football playoff game. He has great respect for Tommy Amaker, their coach, and is very pleased to have the Wofford-Harvard series. Wants to renew/repeat.

Hope we have a big crowd Wednesday and stack another W.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Re: Harvard, Jan 10

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:19 pm

The real fact is that this is Furman week, and everything points toward Saturday night. If we are to have any chance of working toward the top seed in Asheville we have to defend our home court. We are hoping to bring a whole gang down there for the game, and hope it is filled to the rafters with Wofford folks.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:52 pm

Yes, I agree. It's Furman week, and I am fine with Fletcher taking Wednesday off to get fully healthy
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:02 pm

Harvard is 6-9 against a good schedule. http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/schedule

They are talented, but this is a game we have a good chance to win. We need to focus and play hard. D will be important.

They have 19 on their roster ... ? http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/roster

ESPN3, 7 pm
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:23 am

Interesting side note, Harvard's Chris Lewis is the son of former NY Jets linebacker Mo Lewis, who was quite a good NFL player.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:25 am

Hobo wrote:Yes, I agree. It's Furman week, and I am fine with Fletcher taking Wednesday off to get fully healthy

Is he actually sitting out?
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:51 am

T-Dog 4 wrote:
Hobo wrote:Yes, I agree. It's Furman week, and I am fine with Fletcher taking Wednesday off to get fully healthy

Is he actually sitting out?

If anyone knows that he is for sure sitting out, I’d like to know too. But that is something that I’m sure Wofford would like to keep confidential if true, as it might affect game attendance in a negative way. Fletch is a guy a lot of people look forward to seeing play when they attend games and if he isn’t playing it could make a few people decide to stay home. And of course our chances of losing also go up if he sits out (not that we couldn’t win without him- I for one think we could). All that being said, I will respect and go along with whatever decision is made regarding Fletch. After all, the conference games are where we need Fletch the most and we need him healthy in those games. And the coaches know tons more about his condition and just how healthy he is than I do and I am confident that they will do what’s best for both the team’s short and long term success.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:00 pm

I would be surprised if Magee sits out.

Look forward to attending my first game at JRIS tomorrow. I hope we play well and would love a win.

Harvard's tempo is similar to ours. They focus on defense. We should too.

Here is what they say about this game. http://gocrimson.com/sports/mbkb/2017-1 ... 0109ddxe99
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:14 pm

Sorry guys, I was completely speculating. I just don't want him to carry a nagging injury with him the rest of the season. But it wasn't mentioned at all in the MY show, so I guess it is not an issue.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:55 pm

Hobo wrote:Sorry guys, I was completely speculating. I just don't want him to carry a nagging injury with him the rest of the season. But it wasn't mentioned at all in the MY show, so I guess it is not an issue.

Fletcher played 35 minutes Saturday night, 7 more than any other Wofford player. He went to the trainer sometime in the first 10 minutes (I believe), so if there was a problem, I don't think he would have been in the game that much.
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:12 pm

Art Vandalay wrote:
Hobo wrote:Sorry guys, I was completely speculating. I just don't want him to carry a nagging injury with him the rest of the season. But it wasn't mentioned at all in the MY show, so I guess it is not an issue.

Fletcher played 35 minutes Saturday night, 7 more than any other Wofford player. He went to the trainer sometime in the first 10 minutes (I believe), so if there was a problem, I don't think he would have been in the game that much.

I was at the game and, while I didn't think he was seriously injured, I thought it might have been case of playing on adrenaline with a minor injury that would be sore the next few days. Can't wait to be there tomorrow
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:45 pm

Tied at 28 at the half. We are getting absolutely dominated inside. We started off hot but have cooled off considerably. Adjustments will need to be made.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:09 pm

Well, we were outscored in the paint 30-10, were outrebounded, and shot only 40% (with Fletcher shooting only 3-13 from three). But we managed to win 63-62. Fletch, despite his shooting woes, lead the way with 19 points (although he did miss his first foul shot of the season. He was 6 of 7 tonight and is now 46 of 47 for the season). Fletcher also had 7 boards and 4 assists. Storm Murphy had a very solid game and ended up with 12 points and 4 assists. Trevor Stumpe battled foul trouble and ended up fouling out, but he scored 11. Derrick Brooks had a huge offensive board and then made the game winning free throw and we held Havard for the last seven seconds to claim a victory. I’m just relieved we found a way to win despite not bringing our best game tonight. We better play much better Saturday or it might get ugly fast! Harvard Shot only 39% for the game, 5 of 26 from three and 11 of 16 from the line, which really bailed us out. The Crimson missed a ton of open looks, just as we did.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:17 pm

Good recap, WG94. I just got back from the game. A win is a win. Furples Sat.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:16 am

Will smile big-time when I see a couple of Crimson alums tomorrow!

Todd's take: http://www.goupstate.com/news/20180110/ ... st-harvard
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball