Citadel Jan 6

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Citadel Jan 6

Postby Hobo on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:44 am

I am not sure how good they are, but they just lost to Furman by 40 while giving up 107. Our crowd last night was not bad on Thursday night in frigid temps, and I expect it to be even better tomorrow.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Re: Citadel Jan 6

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:58 pm

The Citadel cannot usually be found at or near the top of the SoCon basketball standings and that looks to be the case again this season. BUT...these guys have given us trouble at times over the years. They have unexpectedly knocked us off in Spartanburg at least a couple of times that I can think of right now. The Citadel will play hard against us and give us their best shot because they really want to knock us off in the worst way. These two teams have never had a lot of love lost between them. So we had better be ready for a battle or else we could pay the price. The Citadel plays a fast up tempo style so this one should be fun to watch; their style can give up a lot of points as it did against Furman in their last effort (a 107-67 loss). Hopefully we’ll have a big crowd in The Rich to get behind the team...The Citadel usually has a number of fans here.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:32 pm

I think it’s worth pointing out that what was once an eternal weakness for our program, free throw shooting, is now a strength. The Terriers are 1st in the SoCon and 20th in the nation out of 351 D-1 programs at 77.2% as a team. That can help you win a lot of games down the stretch. In contrast, The Citadel is next to last in the SoCon (WCU) and 302nd in the nation at 66.0% as a team.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:19 pm

109-92 win. Hard to watch. We will learn from this. Fletcher tweaked ankle ... hope it will be ok.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:22 pm

Terriers win 109-92. Balanced scoring effort with five guys in double figures. Fletcher Magee turned his ankle early and finished with only 11 points, but the slack was picked up. Cam Jackson was a man inside before fouling out. Storm Murphy with a career high 17 points. Trevor Stumpe with a career high 19. Nathan Hoover with a career high 21. On the negative side, way too many turnovers. And the officials whistled 49 fouls between the two teams making for a long night. They were inconsistent and horrible- Mike Young picked up a technical.
Last edited by woffordgrad94 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:24 pm

Obviously a very ticky-tack game the entire 40 minutes. Between not dribbling out the end of the game and MY appearing to not shake hands in the post game line, I'm assuming there's some bad blood between coach and El Cid's coach.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:36 pm

I think there’s always been a bit of bad blood between these two schools no matter the sport. These guys pretty much hate our guts! Maybe they’re still mad about the whole monkey suit thing. Oh, and that little 16 game streak in football. :mrgreen:
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:46 pm

Man, that was an intense game. Great crowd that got increasingly mad at the refs. Loved how we responded to the pressure by getting mad. And way to go for everybody to pick up the offensive slack with Fletcher being guarded out of the game. Fletcher played a lot of defense and got rebounds and assists. My heart did sink when he limped to the locker room. I suspect it's sore, will need a little rest but will be fine.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:21 am

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:59 pm

Terrier13 wrote:Obviously a very ticky-tack game the entire 40 minutes. Between not dribbling out the end of the game and MY appearing to not shake hands in the post game line, I'm assuming there's some bad blood between coach and El Cid's coach.

Hmmm. Not shaking hands is not like MY. Did something happen? Dirty play? Anything to do with Fletch’s injury?
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:49 pm

Fletch just twisted his ankle. I think it has to do with how the Citadel just kept pressing and fouling until the end of the game...or maybe they just don’t like each other. Not sure...
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:08 pm

I thought I saw them shake hands. But I do think Mike was agitated about the way the game was played. He said in the H-J that was just glad we won and no one got seriously injured. Maybe that was a reference to being relieved that Magee's injury wasn't too terrible -- but it read as if he was saying the way The Citadel plays is overly rough.

The Citadel did a good job of slowing down Magee. I think had Wofford really needed him to score more, he probably could have. We could have posted him up some, I figure. Or given him the ball and let him drive one-on-one. He likely could have gotten to the foul line more, at least. But I think he was likely playing with a good amount of pain. And other guys stepped up and scored. So it worked out.

I met Hoover's dad and uncle at the game. They seemed like cool guys and you could tell they were having a lot of fun. And, of course, Hoover had a really strong game. A long drive from Memphis, so I'm glad they saw him play well in a WoCo victory.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:17 pm

In the post game interview MY did make a mention of the fact that Cid played a box and one on Fletcher and we scored 109, with a throw away line about The Citadel's coaching. It was just stupid, in many ways, to continue to play a box and one on Fletch when he was injured. If he had been scoring freely against them it may have been reasonable, but it looked stupid to me. If we had any ability at all to handle their press we would have won by 40.
Which brings up another thing-considering that the commissioner was the halftime guest-regarding the refereeing of The Citadel games: why are the officials not as aware as the whole league is that they are going to commit as many fouls as possible; grab and hold and flop and roll the whole game? Instead, the officials act as if this is something they have never seen, and play the game of keeping the foul totals close for each team during the game. It is a ploy that is repeated every season in every game they play, and it is obvious to everyone who watches the game. The rolled ankles weren't deliberate, but the style of play makes for injuries because of the chaos on the court. One of the ironies of the season is that it comes just before the Harvard game, which will be the opposite-controlled and carefully planned offensive schemes designed to outsmart and outplay the opponents. It's no wonder that Mike Young hates to play against The Citadel.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:31 pm

As Tom Henson mentioned during the game, Cid’s helter skelter style gives them their best chance to win. They use ten players interchangeably and appeared to be tiring us out. The good news is it helped us learn to succeed in that situation in terms of spreading out our scoring and getting the ball up court; although we had too many turnovers it was not as bad as it seemed due to there being so many more possessions than normal. We will learn from this. Noteworthy: Hoover 5-8 from downtown, Aluma 7 rbs and 6 points in 13 minutes, Hollowell 8 points and 2 rebounds in 9 minutes.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:19 am

I don't think this is something we will have to worry about for long. Losing their best player pre-season speaks volumes about the program/system and given their poor record with this style of play, I doubt Baucom is there for much longer.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball