National Title Game...

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

National Title Game...

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:31 pm

North Dakota State up 17-3 in the 2nd quarter on JMU......Wofford lost to the best team in it by a landslide.....we are much closer than most folks realize......
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Re: National Title Game...

Postby youngterrier on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:42 pm

These two teams are FBS teams in my opinion.

There more parity between us + the other 5 quarterfinalists than them
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:01 pm

Neither of these teams (NDSU, JMU) are anywhere near FBS programs! They are, however, on another level vs WOF and the rest of the FCS schools!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:12 pm

Outside of Weber State, both teams blew out their FCS playoff competition.

If you blow out the best of the FCS, by definition you're FBS caliber. If not, you're assuming a bigger gap between G5 and FCS teams than I think is warranted.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:28 pm

Unless by FBS you mean Toledo, App St, or UNC Charlotte. These 2 teams are well coached and have an experienced coaching staff. Their athletes talent is right on par with what we have on roster. Our AD made a remark when commenting about Conklin that coach has "competed against the brightest minds in college football". I think Wofford made a step towards big time football by bringing in Conklin and hopefully letting him surround himself with like caliber coaches. But now it's on fans and alums. Do we want feel good stories or are we comitted to do what it takes to be at a JMU or NDSU level?
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:29 pm

If you are basing that opinion on the game I just observed, you must have watched some other game! Any number of bottom dwellers in any of the power 5 conferences would have dominated either of those teams! What I would love to see is NDSU play a top tier FBS school each year (as WOF does) and see the results. Talk to Appy and GSU!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:34 pm

NDSU has a winning record against FBS teams, including like a 4 game win streak. Such teams include Kansas State (fresh off their Big 12 title), Iowa (ranked at the time).

This team is better than any of those teams.

You can go by the anecdotal eye test but at the end of the day, if you look at the numbers, there's no one close to NDSU and JMU
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:01 pm

Personally I thought both teams played rather poorly in the title game. JMU dropped an unbelievable number of wide open passes, and they got totally jobbed on a couple of reviewed calls. NDSU also seemed to play at below their normal level. Now, the fact that they were playing each other, on a neutral field, in a national championship certainly plays into to the equation. However, there is no doubt in my mind that either of those teams would be very successful in most of the below power 5 leagues-probably winning many. On the other hand, the lower number of scholarships and coaches found on the FCS teams has to make it tougher than FBS. I just saw that FBS has allowed a tenth assistant in 2018. Even in some of the non Big 5 conferences the head coach is being paid a million dollars, and the coaching staff is probably being paid another $1 1/2 Million. That, combined with another 22 full scholarships, is a big gap.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football