Wofford Coaching Search

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Wofford Coaching Search

Postby youngterrier on Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:45 pm

It sounds like we are going to evolve out of the option.

Conklin said he wants to open things up more, but also said he was attracted to running it. Conversely, he said for certain that we are keeping the 50 defense.

To put it a little more succinctly, if he had the same amount of certainty about keeping the option he probably would have said as much, given that he said it outright with the 50 defense.

So, I'm officially interested in this hire because he sounds like he's doing the smart thing. If you're moving away from the option, you have to do it slowly. On defense, there's no point in running anything but a 3-4 or multiple 50 defense because there's just not as strong supply on DL.

It's going to be interesting to watch Wofford football over the next couple of years. Hopefully in a good way.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:40 pm

YT I am with you on a few things. The Nate Woody defense is here to stay at Wofford. I think Conklin's confidence in how the defense is going to be ran is because he will be the master mind behind gameplan and play calling. I do however thing he is going to tweak pass rush and coverage schemes but keep the same calls and playbook. With an experienced defense returning it again should be the strength of the team. To run a true 3-4 it is not the lack of DL...it's that most DL's with the size needed are on FBS programs. 6-3 270+ and agile is hard to come by. I do think the uncertainty on the offensive side comes from not having the chance to speak with Coach Lang and his intentions going forward (retirement, interest in still coaching under Conklin). Do we have a pure throwing QB? No, but if he brings in a QB this class we will know Conklin's vision. I do think we will see RPO's incorporated with the spread option. At least that's what I think he means by "innovative"
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby BubbaDog on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:08 pm

I'd say that assuming we're going to evolve out of the option based on those comments is a stretch. I think his certainty with the defense and not the offense is just based on his experience. I'd think the option and where we go with it would be based more on who stays from the offensive coaching staff. He does want to innovate what we do, which is great, but I don't think that means we're on a path to ditch the option.
BubbaDog
2012 Pickem Champ

Postby Ruckus on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:34 pm

+1
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:50 pm

I don't know if we have heard yet when Coach Conklin was contacted by Wofford. If it was very recently he hasn't had much time to deal with the existing coaching staff and think about the future. It is very unlikely that he knows the coaches or the personnel that he has, so speculation on future plans is way too early. What we know is that he knows Wofford and Spartanburg, and he has a family excited about "coming home." Those are all very positive, in my opinion. We will know lots more as coaches stay or go, but he has got a load to do before thought is given on what offensive schemes will be used. This IS the guy who was willing to come to Wofford not for the money but because it is a special place. While we don't know if this will compare favorably to the meeting at the Biltmore Dairy Bar, it sure appears to be a red letter day at Wofford.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:18 pm

Another interview. I am liking him more and more now. At the beginning I was assuming that he would stay until he got a better offer from a FBS school but the way he talks he sounds like he might stay a long time. But who knows. However I am confident that he will lead the program in the same manner as MA did. Not just to win but also to bring these young men along as good people, good students. I don't want a bunch of hooligans and deadbeats playing for my team. GO TERRIERS !!!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGfUwhzYLqs
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:08 pm

Coach Conklin's press conference and interview were both impressive. I believe he understands Wofford and what it is all about. I like the confidence in our defensive scheme and both the respect for the triple option and willingness to evolve it. There was no hard line approach indicated and plenty of interest in input from all the existing staff which I think is good. I think today was a win for Wofford football, but like any change we will have to see where this goes and if Coach Conklin has what it takes to lead this organization, prepare the team and deliver results at the level desired in all facets.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:43 pm

We have been “evolving out of the option” since 2002 when Rodgers primarily ran out of the spread option. It just seems that, regardless of what we try, the triple option is what we do best.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:53 am

walliver wrote:We have been “evolving out of the option” since 2002 when Rodgers primarily ran out of the spread option. It just seems that, regardless of what we try, the triple option is what we do best.

I agree with that statement. Our looks have/will mirror the skill set of the best players we have on the field. Based off what we have now and what we seem to have coming in I would think that next evolution would be to run a faster version of what we've been doing with more quick hitting plays (think Georgia Tech and Navy). If we get to that point, then who knows what's next? I don't see us trying to become a pro-style offense with tons of passing, but even those teams come full circle if they have the players (think Newsome at Western). I think the option works for Wofford based off our history, our philosophy, our coaches and players and out culture. The Ayers/Lang option evolved over time and so will whatever Conklin settles on. The keys to how fast things change is somewhat determined by which coaches stay and who replaces those who leave, but I am encouraged that we apparently aren't looking at a drastic Brian Van Gorder "there is no option" cold turkey style change like Georgia Southern endured.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:27 am

Both the players on the team and those who are signed or being recruited are there to either run or stop the TO. It's SoCon football. A transition would take lots of time, IMO. If there were to be a year when we would make a little transition it would have been this year, with a QB who could throw it and the best corps of receivers we have ever had. Next year, unless MM has special throwing abilities and we have new receivers yet undiscovered, we will have a team very well designed to run the option, and a QB with jets and quicks. We have a big time bruising FB and speed on the outside. The TO is our offense for the forseeable future.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:16 pm

I foresee some iteration of the option continuing to be our offense. Of course each year will offer different adjustments and we should always have surprise plays like reverses, toss sweeps, HB passes, RPO’s, etc. For our personnel it works best, and is really fun to watch when executed properly. We presently have excellent personnel and coaches for it. Agree that incorporating some of the Army, Navy, and GT techniques is advisable.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:52 pm

Per Football Scoop

Wofford inside linebackers coach Greg Gasparato is set to join the defensive staff at App State. There is some buzz on “the internet” that defensive line coach Mark Ivey might be heading to Georgia Tech;

Georgia Tech: Defensive line coach Mike Pelton will not return.

This all could be a domino effect. If GT hires Woody will he take his DL coach to GT with him and hence make room for Riase on the App State Staff
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:56 pm

Just shook the new coach's hand at the basketball game. Nice guy. Not a surprise.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:20 pm

Official, Gasparato to App ... was there a couple years ago.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:43 pm

In the interview with Coach Conklin which was played on TV during the halftime, he said exactly what we have been speculating-that he is not going to make any quick changes on either side of the ball. He did mention that he came over to Wofford when he was in town visiting with his wife's family and would talk with Coach Wood about the Wofford defense; so we know he is familiar with what we do. He said all the right things and appears to be very much in tune with what is going on at Wofford. When the coaching positions shake out I am sure we will have a group that can make it happen.

This from the WS Journal:
http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/ap ... 29873.html
http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/an ... b9235.html
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football