Wofford Coaching Search

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Wofford Coaching Search

Postby WocoSix on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:41 pm

Multiple reports that Nate Woody is set to be GT's new DC. That means App State has to replace its Co-Def Coordinator as well as the D-Coordinator in the same year.

As for Coaching salaries, some on the board have said Ayers was upward of 350-400k. If that is true then most of the assistants that would be on our short list are only at the 250K or less mark. Coaches like the following are well below that mark and could be looking to make the change to HC ranks. Or either promote Lang or Nash and bring in an experienced D-Coordinator.

Ivin Jasper(Current Navy OC/QB Coach - Experience with Ga Southern)
Craig Candeto (Current Ga Tech RB/ QB Coach - Experience with Navy and Citadel)
Tim Horton (Current Auburn RB Coach - Experience with Air Force and App State)
Brent Davis(Current Army OC OL Coach- Experience with UGA, Ga Southern, and VMI)
Shadon Brown(Current Colorado DB Coach - Experience with Army and Wofford)
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:23 pm

boulder3m wrote: In watching Navy run the option it makes me think of what we can be next year. They don't throw it at all, but have a QB that is fast, quick and slippery.
What a clinic by Navy. A lot we can learn from. I think our talent is comparable.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:44 pm

lawdog wrote:What a clinic by Navy. A lot we can learn from. I think our talent is comparable.

I only saw the highlights of Navy's game, but from what I saw their plays develop very quickly. Some of that is personnel and some of it is likely scheme. Our option plods along, theirs is is far more dynamic even with less passing. This is the sort of evolution Wofford needs to embrace, I believe, but a lot of that will be determined by who is brought in.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:40 pm

WocoSix wrote: Or either promote Lang or Nash and bring in an experienced D-Coordinator.

Please explain why you feel that Wood needs replacing as DC. His defense was at the top of the league in 2016 and 2017 in practically every statistical category. Also, statistically speaking, the defenses under Wood have been among the best Wofford has ever put on the field. SMH
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:58 pm

Listen to short haired Dawgs episode 7(especially the Defense & NDSU breakdown). I concur with the podcast. We loss only Jaleel Green, with 10 returning starters.

2016 Wofford was No. 5 in FCS total defense (287.2 yards per game), No. 6 in scoring defense (17.1 points per game), top 20 with 30 Sacks, 95 TFL's .

This year Wofford is No. 26 in FCS Total defense (326.7 yards per game), No. 36 in scoring defense (22.4 points per game), not even in top 60 only 16 sacks, 66 TFL's.
Last edited by WocoSix on Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:53 am

I don't think we regressed this year on defense. I've broken down those stats as much as anyone. Last year's stats are a little misleading, especially when it comes to rankings. Here's why:

1) the Socon was better on offense this year, especially when it came to running the football (look at Western and Furman)
2) our schedule was tougher. ETSU improved this year in like, all statistical categories. We played an NAIA team. Even though GWU this year was bad, their record is kind of misleading because they arguably played a harder schedule than most teams with a majority of their schedule being playoff teams or FBS.

Now, I'm open to the argument that because we didn't improve on defense when we had virtually everyone back this year, that in itself is a form of regression. We had trouble getting sacks this year for some reason. We didn't adjust at times either.

when it comes to efficiency (a better measure than the raw stats IMO we were pretty much the same, maybe slightly worse by a possession per game on defense.

At the end of the day I think the difference between us being a good team and a great team had to do with making plays at the right time. We made plays at the right time to win, but cut it close a lot of times. Had we made those plays at a more opportune time, we'd be a great team.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:10 am

1) ETSU and VMI where shutouts, and Citadel was held to 3 points last season. This year all 3 of those teams put up 24, 14, and 16 points.
2) With Ole Miss, Tenn Tech, and Charleston Southern I would say last year was a tougher go. PC and Johnson C Smith pretty much the same and is a wash.

Agree with you YT since you are the stat guy. But last year it seemed our Defense got us out of a lot of bad plays... be it a fumble, offense going for it on our own 20, bad special teams play. Even though these events happen, we could count on the D at least holding the opponent to a FG. This year I didn't get that feeling. Even with PC who still managed to move the ball.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:44 am

WocoSix wrote: We loss only Jaleel Green, with 10 returning starters.

Not true. In addition to Jaleel Green at FS, we lost Dylan Young at OLB. We also lost Lincoln Stewart and John Patterson at ILB--both of whom started numerous games for us over the years--as well as multiple part-time starters who played significant minutes: OLB Tyreik Lyles, DEs Boston Bryant and Stephen Cornellier, and NT Chris Boudreaux. Plus, the returning starter at NT, Mikel Horton, missed the majority of the 2017 season.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:51 am

Good point, OG. We actually lost a lot of snaps on D other than Green. And because Horton was out a lot of the season, he was replaced by a true freshman (albeit a very talented one in Preister who had a helluva game v FU in the playoffs). We were also very thin (only played 3) at OLB and will be more so next year.
I definitely think we had trouble getting pressure on the QB (with or without stunts in some games). I think we tweaked our fronts and stunts some but the primary reason I saw is that our OLBS had trouble getting to the QB. Some of that maybe just personnel (remember the days of Scioneaux?).
I thought we did a great job gameplanning FU in playoffs (and tried v Samford with the nickle package moving Alstatt to OLB) but we got gashed in a lot of games (FU #1, GWU, Mercer, Chatt, ETSU, WCU). Some of that may improvement and better offenses, but we definitely need to revisit/improve our schemes moving forward.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:33 am

East Tennessee State: Head coach Randy Sanders will make $225,000 in base salary on a 4-year contract. His bonus structure runs from $5,000 for making the FCS playoffs to $37,500 for winning a national championship.

I guess this is baseline for SoCon HC's
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:59 am

We loss Lorenzo Long, Evan Jacks, Nick Colvin, Will Gay, Anton Warby, Dequan Miller, and David Marvin on the offensive side of the ball as well. Dont think I noticed a drop off on that side of the ball. Attrition is normal in college football. For me it was the lack of in game adjustments.On occasions we came in the game with a solid plan, but once opposing coordinators realized our game plan, we did not adjust. Also it's like we didn't learn from week to week what other teams were doing to exploite our defensive scheme. From week 1 Furman to NDSU all offenses ran the same group of plays to exploit our Defense. Go look at the replay and you will see all teams called the exact same group of pass plays to begin the game...especially Mercer, ETSU, WCU, and FU#1
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:47 am

I agree that we didn't adjust well this year. We weren't good at getting pressure and it felt like we didn't blitz as much.

But I won't say that we've regressed just yet. There are too many moving parts, like the quality of our opponents being better, for me to feel confident in that assessment.

Now, given that we're losing a couple studs this year, if we continue to not improve or even regress, I will be concerned.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:55 am

Six, wasn't a lot of that because we had a new DC-and really a lot of turnover on defensive coaches over a 4-5 year period? Personally I expected us to have even more problems adjusting on defense. We just knew we almost had to be very conservative on defense beginning the season. While I would have preferred that we take more risks against Samford, we played a fairly "vanilla" defense all year that was very predictable by our opponents. That's not a criticism, but rather a statement of what to expect from a first year DC and some relatively inexperienced coaches. Risk is a lot easier when you have the experience and confidence behind you.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:05 am

Top Returners...
Alstatt, Lemon, Gbesee, Watson, Tillery in secondary

Wilson and Wilson, Hinton, Roundtree at linebackers

Pfeister, Horton, Brown, Mangum on DL

I wouldn’t exactly say the cupboard is bare

Should be another stout year

Also, on O, I believe you can count 8 regulars that played significant minutes returning.
SmallTownTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:13 am

There's gold in them thar hills! Coach Ayers has left the cupboard FULL, and with the recruits from the last couple of years we have the opportunity to not only compete for the championship but also be pretty special. Joe Newman gives us something we all have been wanting for awhile, and, used correctly it can be special. We have a bruising FB and speed on the outside, and if you add that quickness and slipperyness of JN it is a big threat. Our OL is strong and very capable. I would think a potential new coach would be lickinghis chops at the prospect.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football