Regular Season Coming Up

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Regular Season Coming Up

Postby lawdog on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:12 pm

With our conference opener on Dec. 30 vs. UNCG, perhaps we should take stock. We have a lot of hard work ahead of us.

Recently we have shown great improvement in team hustle, defense, and playing together all around. Our chemistry is blossoming. Teamwork, smarts, balance, and great effort are our strong suits. Good shooting team too.

Our smaller starting five has worked well together. This lineup gives us quickness and allows others a chance to loosen up before coming in; some players work better that way.

Derrick Brooks ... our only senior with significant PT, has really found a niche using his size, strength, and experience as a defender and rebounder. Can shoot if open. Much more confident. Our Dennis Rodman.

Fletcher Magee ... no better shooter in college basketball and good ball hander, defender, rebounder, and team leader. Confident. The attention that defenses have had to give him has left opportunities open for others.

Storm Murphy ... has had a remarkable freshman year so far handling the ball, especially against the senior elite point guard from UNC. Confident, agile, quick, good shooter and defender.

Trevor Stumpe ... now healthy with good size, has really been a force as a starter. Good shooter and ball handler, defender, rebounder, and leader.

Cam Jackson ... outstanding rebounder, shot blocker, scorer, and leader, and just keeps getting better. Must avoid fouls and attention lapses. Becoming a complete player.

Nathan Hoover ... good shooter, developing more complete game. Smart and polished.

Matt Pegram ... hustler, rebounder, scorer, shot blocker. Excellent size. Must avoid fouls.

Donovan Theme-Love .... Excellent ball handler. Good shooter if open. Can provide backup at several positions. Smooth.

Keve Aluma ... raw talent around the basket who is improving rapidly. Will make big impact this year.

Tray Hollowell ... freshman who needs seasoning but shows great promise, especially as scorer.

Dishon Lowery ... strong and physical, needs to improve game IQ and experience. Untapped potential. Should be promising player, especially as rebounder.

Michael Manning ... Physical presence around basket who needs experience and seasoning. Potential.

Chavez Goodwin .... sitting out this year but should be immediate contributor next year.

Bobby Perez ... seasoned knowledgeable reserve who provides extremely valuable practice minutes and who can step in as required.

Grayson Hickert ... excellent freshman walk on talent who had strong high school career. Very smart, hard worker, great size. Should help us down the road.

Zion Williamson ... Key recruiting target who, if he comes with us, will provide immense boost in scoring and all around team play. A rare talent.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: Regular Season Coming Up

Postby dude on Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:54 pm

I agree that there's a lot to be excited about.

I'm hoping that Cam Jackson's big night against UNC will give him confidence and help him to focus on playing at a high level consistently. He has the potential to be one of the best big men Wofford has had, I think. He's got size, solid athleticism, skill -- the opportunity to be a really tough player in league play.

I think Storm Murphy was really terrific against UNC. Something like 1 turnover. He made some big shots, including a drive into the lane in the second half.

Stumpe has brought toughness and solid scoring.

The line-up changes seem to be a positive for the team. Having Stumpe as a starter makes the line-up less tall -- but maybe a bit more athletic. And maybe it frees up space for Jackson to operate. And I like having Brooks in the starting five -- some toughness, maybe leadership -- though Hoover is still really important and made some huge buckets at UNC.

And what can be said about Fletcher Magee? Such an amazing shooter. Having a guy like that out there -- someone who other teams have to key on defensively pretty much ALL the time -- is surely a huge advantage. It should free up other guys at least a little....and when Magee is really going off, seems to me that it ought to give Wofford a chance in most games.

We'll see how things take shape from here. But I think there are some good signs.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:58 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:31 pm

A moment to reflect on a prosperous 2017 and hopes for the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g458-jXkbpU

Men's version; Wofford Glee Club used to do a good job with this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sNuXNcNdnM
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:58 pm

We play UNCG on 12/30, 5 p.m., Greensboro Coliseum, ESPN3. UNCG is having a good year so far, with a win over NCSU and respectable losses to UVA and WFU. They will come at us hard; should be good game. Final preseason contest.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:45 pm

Isn’t this our first SoCon game?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:51 pm

OOOPS yeah, should have passed on that last Scotch.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:56 pm

Hope it was a nice single malt.
Slainte!
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:17 pm

I've got a feeling that we may have more Wofford fans at the game with UNCG tomorrow than they have. With school out and lots of other activities my guess is that the Wofford fans want to be there to support our team after the big win. BTW, most of the sites that do bracket projection list Furman as the conference favorite following the "pre season." The conference in basketball may well resemble the conference in football, in that there are 4-5 good teams that are going to be knocking each other off regularly. Road wins, especially against UNCG, Furman, ETSU are going to be golden in March. Game time is 5 PM. Hope our folks show up.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball