Richardson investigation

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Richardson investigation

Postby mudrat43 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:42 am

Whether Richardson intended to leave the franchise to his wife, sell it now or later, you can bet the outhouse the NFL powers that be were on this like a crow on a junebug. They (NFL) don't like things like this out in the public domain one little bit. And I'll be my hat that when it was announced the Panthers would be sold, the relief was audible! As a side thought: how long will the statue remain on Wofford property?
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:53 am

I highly doubt they'll do anything. Richardson is not the worst person commemorated on campus and the consequences of his actions are not as bad as some of the other figures. Unlike the other figures, we wouldn't have the buildings named after the Big Cat if it weren't for his contribution.

Having said that, we do need to do more as a culture to punish harassers and abusers, but we also need a sense of proportionality. I think the lawsuits + losing the panthers is proportional and dragging this into Wofford creates a lot more unnecessary tension that will in the long term hurt the institution.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby LITTLEGIANTS on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:43 pm

Richardson is not the worst person commemorated on campus and the consequences of his actions are not as bad as some of the other figures. Unlike the other figures, we wouldn't have the buildings named after the Big Cat if it weren't for his contribution.

Im outta here for a while..."Not the worst person". Last i've seen Mr Richardson hasnt been convicted of anything. Until proven otherwise he is a victim of media hackjobs. Hell my guess is without him we are PC and getting ready to play division III football.

LG out
LITTLEGIANTS
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:47 pm

The team was going to be sold anyway...before all this started.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:42 pm

Let's see, videos of Jerry Jones at a strip bar and Robert Irsay drunk and on drugs making an butt of himself in public...Does this equate to that? Is this in the catagory with many of the headline stories in the past few weeks? In this day anyone can get an ambulance chasing, slip and fall, scum sucking lawyer and sue anyone for any reason. I don't believe any story I read because I know what may be behind them, and know that there are those who prey on the vulnerable. I have no idea what happened, and don't believe any sports writer's account of "facts." Just stop for a moment and think about who would talk to a sports writer about this. Those who were paid signed a non-disclosure agreement that would carry large penalties to break. Someone with an agenda decided to be a big shot.
No matter what the charge, an organization like the Panthers are unable to fight it because of the bad publicity. Paying hush money becomes the best business decision they can make, so there is a huge business built on finding the vulnerable to sue. This is a privately owned corporation which, unless there are criminal charges, answers to its private owners. So we are willing to put our trust in a bunch of two bit sports reporters who tell us what Jerry Richardson owes them and the people of Charlotte? I actually had enjoyed reading articles from a number of sports reporters that have suddenly developed a "holier than thou" attitude and decided to dive into the pile on top of Jerry Richardson. I lost all respect for them very quickly. Personally, I hope there is a change of heart and the owners decide to go with their new management for awhile and see how it plays out. Richardson is embarrassed, humiliated and has lost his dignity over this. What more can the vultures want?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:25 pm

I'm neither making excuses nor assigning guilt here at all. To me, this is comparatively mild and it is awfully ironic to me that Mr. Richardson is being forced out by allegations that are a fraction of those that have been leveled against others (here's looking at you #45). I guess being a stand up person and avoiding anymore drama or bad publicity is now punished while lying, denying and deflecting are rewarded.

This is a sensitive matter to me since I live in Alabama and have a 14 year old daughter. As you might imagine, the last couple months have been interesting in my house due to the roller coaster ride of our recent special election for the US Senate. I don't think anyone should be taken advantage of or made to feel uncomfortable and if that has happened here then the facts need to come out and behavior needs to be dealt with. I also realize that guilty in a court of law is different and a much higher standard than guilty in the court of public opinion and with the rate these types of allegations (relatively mild in this case to much worse in other cases) it is certainly a feeding frenzy in the press and those sharks aren't about to lay off any opening to go after someone. If wish this would go differently, but it appears that it will be a devastating blow to the region which is unfortunate. I hope that a damage-minimizing compromise can be found.

As for Wofford, certainly we have a financial and public opinion risk here. I'm sure if this stays out in the press that there will be editorials about pulling name off of buildings, etc. I'm not sure that's the right thing to do, but I'm not the one who gets to make that call.

Lastly, and most importantly, I feel terrible for Mr. Richardson. Even if he behaved badly, that shouldn't destroy a lifetime for exemplary achievement. Even if we acknowledge his imperfection (just like all of us) we can still thank him for all he has done, all he has meant to people and all he has provided that he didn't have to. I've never met Mr. Richardson, although I've been within about 10 feet of him at a Wofford football game, but I still respect him greatly and am proud of what he as accomplished.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:42 am

Go Tina!!!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:13 am

It is amazing how quickly history is forgotten. The Duke Lacrosse situation seems to have been forgotten completely, and the lessons learned from it mean nothing. Duke University has been rumored to have paid over $50 million for their rush to judgement, but the university seems to have been unaffected by the embarrassment. Yet the media continues on...
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:03 am

I'm glad I'm not rich or famous. If I were, I would be sweating bullets. A lot of stuff that was routine and accepted on fraternity row would now be considered harassment if not assault ... and I wasn't even one of the wilder ones.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Eyes of Old Main wrote:I'm neither making excuses nor assigning guilt here at all. To me, this is comparatively mild and it is awfully ironic to me that Mr. Richardson is being forced out by allegations that are a fraction of those that have been leveled against others (here's looking at you #45). I guess being a stand up person and avoiding anymore drama or bad publicity is now punished while lying, denying and deflecting are rewarded.

This is a sensitive matter to me since I live in Alabama and have a 14 year old daughter. As you might imagine, the last couple months have been interesting in my house due to the roller coaster ride of our recent special election for the US Senate. I don't think anyone should be taken advantage of or made to feel uncomfortable and if that has happened here then the facts need to come out and behavior needs to be dealt with. I also realize that guilty in a court of law is different and a much higher standard than guilty in the court of public opinion and with the rate these types of allegations (relatively mild in this case to much worse in other cases) it is certainly a feeding frenzy in the press and those sharks aren't about to lay off any opening to go after someone. If wish this would go differently, but it appears that it will be a devastating blow to the region which is unfortunate. I hope that a damage-minimizing compromise can be found.

As for Wofford, certainly we have a financial and public opinion risk here. I'm sure if this stays out in the press that there will be editorials about pulling name off of buildings, etc. I'm not sure that's the right thing to do, but I'm not the one who gets to make that call.

Lastly, and most importantly, I feel terrible for Mr. Richardson. Even if he behaved badly, that shouldn't destroy a lifetime for exemplary achievement. Even if we acknowledge his imperfection (just like all of us) we can still thank him for all he has done, all he has meant to people and all he has provided that he didn't have to. I've never met Mr. Richardson, although I've been within about 10 feet of him at a Wofford football game, but I still respect him greatly and am proud of what he as accomplished.

“There is a crack in everything ... that is how the light gets in.” Leonard Cohen

For a man who grew up almost poor scratching hard for everything he ever got in eastern North Carolina in the 1950s, Jerry Richardson has led a remarkably and admirably enlightened life. I think Wofford, which initially offered him a partial scholarship and series of part time jobs, gets some of the credit for that. Certainly a very high percentage of the many benefits derived from his hard won great success has devolved upon minorities and economically challenged fellow Americans. No one has meant more to our region, no one. He has striven to be kind and a gentleman all the while. Has he been perfect at all times? As with every other human, the answer must be no.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:56 pm

Here are some truisms that are applicable to this situation:
1. It takes only 1 aw sh-t to wipe out 10 attaboys!
2. If you behave in a manner your mother would disapprove of, its wrong!
3. You are what the rest of the world thinks you are (not what YOU think you are)!
4. Most valuable experience is gained from bad decisions!
5. Age and status are no excuse for boorish behavior!
6. You can never, ever take it back!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football