Wofford Coaching Search

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Wofford Coaching Search

Postby Ruckus on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:50 pm

Then it may be time for a Terrier uprising. The BOTs ultimately run the college and maybe they need to hear from us who have a vested interest.
I have heard the same thing FWIW.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:27 pm

Wingard kid from Charlotte just picked up an offer from The Citadel.
SmallTownTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:15 pm

Best man for the job plain and simple. It doesnt have to be a "Wofford" guy. RJ is doing due diligence which is what we hope he would do. He may have a short list but not revealing until the right moment. Who knows Rich Rodriquez may have parents in Spartanburg and wants to coach in Sparkle City. Not true but, you never know unless you put feelers out to see what kind of interest you get.

Wish this would have happen last year. I think Furman stole one of our 1st choices
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby drpnut on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:29 pm

I’m going to be clear in this post. I love Wofford like all of you and was involved in athletics. I love Coach Ayers and believe he is one of the finest persons on earth. I love RJ as well. And I’m speaking in love when I say this: I have very little confidence in his ability to handle this. I sense that there has been tension between him an MA. So RJ might be stubborn and end up screwing this up royally. I was never a fan of him being named AD. I feel he had find a serviceable job, but nothing really stands out. Coach Garritty was a good hire but Farmer stayed way too long.

I have always had a pretty close relationship with MA and RJ. Over the years MA has always been the same but over the last few years RJ has become more distant. I say all that to say that I am not confident that RJ is ax emotionally invested as he should be.

And if he bungles this I would lose absolutely no sleep for the enormous heat he willj take. And I would probably throw a lot of wood on the fire myself.
drpnut
True Terrier Fan

Postby OlRB#3 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:30 pm

Six I do agree that we have to put feelers out and see who’s available but it just needs to be done expediently as can severely hurt Wofford to have 1 down recruiting year.
OlRB#3
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eric Deutsch on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:34 pm

OlRB#3 wrote:Six I do agree that we have to put feelers out and see who’s available but it just needs to be done expediently as can severely hurt Wofford to have 1 down recruiting year.

If we're doing this right, we need a new head honcho by the end of next week otherwise our recruits may find new homes next year.
Eric Deutsch
Junior Terrier

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:47 pm

I would think by Dec. 29... Here is my reasoning...
Dead Period goes to Jan. 11
Take 2 weeks and assemble your staff (all applicants would have 2/3 of the staff they would want fugured out anyhow)
Gives 3 weeks for in homes and officials on campus
Also gives you 8 days with the boys on campus Jan. 3 for meetings
I think 16 Days is plenty to interview and process hiring the best guy
SmallTownTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:05 pm

I can almost guarantee you that would n’t happen.
Hope it does but it won’t.
SMH
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:20 pm

Garrity was a fantastic hire BtW
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:54 pm

Love Garrity too.

We NOW have a great recent record and strong returning players, running schemes that work and coached by coaches who flat know what they are doing and who love and understand Wofford.

We NOW have three talented, experienced,devoted Wofford guy Head prospects: Lang, Fuqua, and Nash.

Pick one carefully within 72 hours and let’s go. Keep our assistant tree expertise intact too. Do it all with love and respect. Buy a milkshake if necessary.

This is not the time for undue committee meetings or consultants from afar. Focus and do what we do, like our players do.

BTW, hopefully Harold Chandler has some influence. JR and Danny too. This is certainly not the AD’s and Pres’s exclusive bailiwick.
Last edited by lawdog on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:02 pm

Lang is smart and quiet, and Hard working, like Saban.

Fuqua is dedicated and a players coach, like Dabo.

Nash is smart, all business, and high character, like John Wooden.

All three would bust a gut and fire up the players, like Ayers.

If ever a coach deserved to be listened to, it is Mike Ayers.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:25 pm

All 3 have no head coaching experience. Turnover a stable, productive, championship football program to an unproven coach. Great people and good to have on staff, but HC is a different animal.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:38 pm

wocomouth wrote:I'm basing this on a few conversations with folks I consider to be in the know:

If you think MA told RJ, you're sadly mistaken. There are MAJOR trust issues in our athletic department between the head coaches and the AD.

We will screw this search up bc of the feeling our president and AD have.....that the institution is too inbred. When was the last time a Wofford person was hired or promoted internally? Every department in the college is slowly being run by folks who didnt graduate from Wofford. Don't believe me? Look it up in the college directory.

I'm usually a defender of the president, but this is true and I'm not surprised
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:44 pm

I think there are more risks going outside of the coaching tree, particularly with on-staff harmony.

Having said that, I see the arguments in favor of change and it would, for better or worse, fall in line with the philosophy of the President. It's an approach that has paid off in some areas and not in others (some staff leaving, but bringing good talent as well). I have no idea how that translates to the football team.

Having said that, I think it's most important that decision is made fast. If we push this decision into the new year and pick a brand new coach, that would be bad because it would doubly hurt recruiting.

Next year is going to be a year of transition anyway to be honest and there's a lot more parity in recruiting at this level than you'd think.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby milesy20 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:44 pm

If we do not hire an internal or Wofford candidate then RJ has fumbled the opportunity to ensure stability and success.
I seriously doubt that Wofford would commit the funds to hire away - with an appropriate HC + staff salary - an OC/DC/HC from FBS (or maybe even from similar FCS) programs.

My initial reaction was to throw my support behind Coach Nash since he is a friend and was a teammate, with the impression from my playing days that Coach Lang would not want to move up to the Head Coaching position.

However, we all mellow and have our priorities change as we mature and gain experience. If Coach Ayers provides vocal support for Coach Lang, then how could anyone ignore that recommendation?

After 30 years of outstanding service, I feel like it is appropriate to accept Coach Ayers' recommendation and promote Coach Lang from interim to permanent Head Coach.

If Coach Lang declines, then offer Coach Nash. If he declines, evaluate other internal and external candidates on the Coach Ayers tree.

We need a Wofford Man.
milesy20
Class of 1998
milesy20
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football