Wofford Coaching Search

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Wofford Coaching Search

Postby T-Dog 4 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:18 pm

Out of curiosity, what other former players are currently coaching at the college level?
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Anyone buy the fact that the reason Fuqua left was so he could gain experience outside Wofford for HC? Maybe he was 1 of the 2 that Ayers spoke to besides his wife as he would have 1 year left.
SmallTownTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:25 pm

I assumed that MA told RJ and WL. That is purely an assumption, though.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:39 pm

I don't know any of these guys very well. And I'm not a former player who really knows the strengths and weaknesses of various coaches who are or have been on Ayers' staff.

But I have been really impressed with Coach Nash the times I have been around him. He has a great personality -- some charisma and a sense of humor. He strikes me as a real people-person. But also very smart. I think he was a physics major. Maybe none of that is terribly relevant to football exactly. But, I don't know -- they are the kinds of things that suggest to me intelligence and creativity.

I've heard really good things about Coach Fuqua as well.

I'd always figured that Wade Lang would get the job. But if he doesn't want it, then I'm hopeful that one of those younger guys could be very effective.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:00 pm

Personality is a huge part of it. We are talking about the ambassador for the program. Personal charisma and easy relatability go a long way. Just ask Dabo Swinney.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:21 pm

Yes, charisma, for sure. Clearly a big part of it.

I guess I meant the physics major part, mainly. Just seems like someone who's willing to be a physics major at Wofford is probably smart, to start with, and also eager to take on a challenge....and maybe just a tad outside of the mainstream. I think those qualities could be valuable.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:29 pm

With some of the wide open offenses we currently we have in the local (GA,NC,SC,FL) area, wouldn't it make more sense to find a coach that doesn't mind changing style of play. I think we have missed on a lot of talent just because of the style of offense we ran. One of the reasons I am for someone outside of the old regime. Same thing defensively, the bend but don't break scheme was a good compliment to the style of offense we ran. But to compete for national titles a change in schematics may be necessary without changing the culture of Wofford.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:13 pm

Do we really think we can recruit the type of athletes up front and skill positions (on both sides of the ball) to run a “wide open” offense or a pressure man defense? If so, why after 30 years would we have not done that before now if it really gave us a better chance to win national titles? Just because Mike Ayers was just so old school and stubborn that he would rather lose than change? Was he so set in his ways that he blindly ignored what are obviously much better and effective schemes?
FU and Citadel (2 schools more like us than any in the SoCon) both tried that very thing and 2 coaching staffs later they are back to running our offense and having more success than they have had in a decade or more. We won a ton of games v them during those years opening up their offenses with athletes much like ours.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:15 pm

Yes I do think we could recruit the type of players needed to run a wide open offense or pressure defense. How many kids over the years that that are from the (SC, GA, NC, FL) area that wanted a great education but choose to go to the likes of Elon, Richmond, William &Mary, Villanova, Ivy League, or Service Academy? Not to mention the SoCon schools like Mercer, Samford, and Furman we may have had a chance with, if we ran a different offense or defensive scheme. I'm sure the best Ivy league education of the south (Wofford) would have been more appealing than a southern kid having to travel 10+ hours North to get the equivalent education. Yes gaining admittance into Wofford is hard, but there are ample amounts of talented kids athletically and academically than you are giving credit.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:31 pm

Uh, every service academy runs our schemes. Now Furman does and not coincidentally had immediate success doing it. Why would they continue to run the option then? Why did Cid change back (and win)?
Are we better academically than Ivys, W&M, Richmond, even FU? No.
Do you think our size (smaller than all referenced), locale in Sparkle City or culture or facilities might have something to do with losing kids? Or is it just our schemes?
And even if we did change, how long will it take us to transition and are we willing to sacrifice those seasons to do it?
So we are far superior to FU and Citadel in attracting talent? Right......
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:46 pm

We are a Top 10 program... Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke... It ain’t broke... Hire in the tree .. That keeps the assistants, unless some would leave on their own... If they do, so be it... Would like someone in place when the boys come back for Interim and winter workouts early January.
SmallTownTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:04 pm

Ruckus if you and the brass are happy with being big fish in a small pond, and happy just winning the SoCon and making the playoffs, then we are right on par. Hire from within and run the same system. There used to be under handed free throws, Single Wing Offenses, real wooden golf clubs, and baseballs made of yarn and rubber bands. But I don't want to go back to those days. The game of football has evolved. Getting athletes the ball in space is the new game these days. Even power house Alabama had to overhaul their offense to keep up with the Clemson's of today. Matter of fact JMU coach Houston ran Citadels offense...why didn't he take it with him?
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:21 pm

I don't think we've ever been out-recruited by Villanova or Richmond or Furman.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:33 pm

EXACTLY 6!!!!! Congrats. You have answered your own question.
Why DID Houston change offenses?
Because he had and could tecruit better talent at JMU than he had at Citadel.
You have made my exact point. Thank you.
We ain’t JMU and this may come as a bit of surprise but we ain’t Clemson either.
Why do all the service academies run the option? Why does GaTech? Because they have found a way to compete with the talent they can attract.
Make fun all you want but I know a ton of schools who are running hot cool hip sexy offenses who lost to the Terriers and would LOVE to have our championships, playoff appearances, and program’s reputation. But at least they look really cool losing to us, I’ll give them that.
Maybe we could get some chrome helmets and Nike inspired unis with some flashy lime green accents while we are at it. Kids love the swag!
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eric Deutsch on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:47 pm

Ruckus wrote:Maybe we could get some chrome helmets and Nike inspired unis with some flashy lime green accents while we are at it. Kids love the swag!

To be fair, kids really do love the swag. But the black and gold is pretty sexy on its own. Clean, crisp uniforms and winning championships are great recruiting tools.
Eric Deutsch
Junior Terrier

PreviousNext

Return to Football