FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Breaking: Ayers Retiring (WSPA)

Postby Hobo on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:10 am

True Terrier Fan

Re: Breaking: Ayers Retiring (WSPA)

Postby WTFan on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:25 am

Wow. We all knew this day was coming. Thank you Coach. You were simply the best. God Bless Mike and Julie as they enjoy his retirement. Lot's of fish to be caught!!
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:25 am

Any guesses on replacement?
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo65 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:57 am

Ruckus and I talked about this the other day. His fear is if they choose someone from current staff if might be DC (Wood). Our hope would be that Fuqua or Woody would want to come back and take the lead. GEEZZ!!! [-o<
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:59 am

MA will have strong voice... No way around it... We will stay in Tree... Wood, Woody, Fuqua... Also will allow for staff stability with those folks... Naturally, you would have some new assistants, but would think the nucleus would still be there.
True Terrier Fan

Postby BernieDunlap on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:01 pm

Problem with Woody is according to latest salary report he is already over $220,000 and with bonuses he probably made closer to three this year. ... /assistant
True Terrier Fan

Postby OlRB#3 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:05 pm

Thanks for everything Coach! It’s been a great ride!

As for replacements I would vote for Fuqua! Players coach and has some expeeriemce and success. IMO opinion Wood hasn’t had enough experience yet! My hope would be for whoever it is to change things up a bit. Stay true to who we are but bring some excitement with a few philosophical changes!
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:19 pm

Going out as a champion! Well deserved, Coach. You can look back with pride over the countless lives you have molded and the positive impact you have made during your tenure. The wins, the championships, and the respect you have garnered nationally at a tiny, private, liberal arts school in a sleepy upstate town are inarguably an incredible achievement. However, I see all of those accolades as more of a by-product of the way you inspired men to do things the right way, to dig deeper and push harder when adversity set in, to always strive to get the best out of themselves possible, to carry themselves appropriately no matter the situation, and, perhaps most importantly, to always get up and fight again, fight again and fight again. Someone will fill this position, but no one will replace you. Thank you. Short-Haired Dog Emeritus!
Last edited by T-Dog 4 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:26 pm ... at-wofford

Todd had hinted of this a little while ago. I hope Mike Ayers can fish the great rivers of the world in the greatest weather. The bar is very high, and I trust that he will help us keep it that way. Thank you is way too little...

Perhaps on that hill below the board should be the number 30!
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eric Deutsch on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:47 pm

This makes me sad, but I'm happy for him. It's hard to imagine Wofford football without Coach Ayers.
Eric Deutsch
Junior Terrier

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:09 pm

Wow, this is a sad day for Wofford College. Mike Ayers has earned this and I wish him nothing but the best. But it leaves a huge void to fill at Wofford. We can only hope Mike’s successor can keep the program at a high level. To hire Sheil Wood right now would be a bad mistake in my opinion.
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:12 pm

I've said this on multiple social media platforms, but we aren't a division one program without Mike Ayers.

Thanks for the memories coach!

Having said that, I think Lang has to be the frontrunner (he has seniority, is longest on staff and contiguous). I really hope we make some offensive changes. I have no idea what the dynamics of the offense are behind closed doors (play-calling, etc), though it's implied that Lang has been the playcaller. Having said that, we have made changes in the last few years, and I wonder how many of them have been due to Lang's input or a decision by staff. If it's the former, I'd be a little excited to see more changes (are we going to go more option or more mainstream with our offense? Either direction is better than neither in my opinion)
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:14 pm

I had heard rumors since the summer that this was his last year. It wouldn't surprise me if his successor is already lined up. He will be impossible to replace.
It will take a special coach to lead the program from here.
True Terrier Fan

Postby GoldandBlack on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:30 pm

“Great leaders can see the greatness in others when they can’t see it themselves and lead them to their highest potential they don’t even know.”
― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Thank you, Coach Ayers- you will be sorely missed.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
True Terrier Fan

Postby crabbyterrier on Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:07 pm

Thanks for everything Coach!!! Class act!!!

Talking with some up in Fargo about this and the talk centered around Coach Nash possibly being the choice. I think Fuqua or Woody would be great choices but they would have to come back just for their love of Wofford because they are both making much more than what Coach Ayers was being paid. This might be a good time for the Terrier Club to step up with a Coaches Salary Subsidy Campaign!

If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football