NDSU Game Thread

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: NDSU Game Thread

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:12 pm

At least we have a basketball game in Spartanburg to go to today...and we should pick up a win in it. That’s at least a little consolation. And yeah, Puke lost to BC.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:27 pm

It could be worse, we could have lost to Furman.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:32 pm

Ha! I know what you mean, but the way we played last week we couldn't have lost to Furman.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby GoldandBlack on Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:51 pm

This feeling reminds me of the 2008 Halloween night loss to App State.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Our guys continued to play hard and with poise. Proud of them. We had a small margin of error today, and we far exceeded it. NDSU and JMU should be a good game.

We have a lot of talent returning and should be good next year, plus recruiting seems to be going well.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby GoldandBlack on Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:55 pm

True to all of the above.....................

Well said.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:57 pm

Congratulations to NDSU, great program and team. Kicked our tails. No 2 ways about it. Too many mistakes at the end of the half.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:01 pm

I watched the JMU game last night and came away feelilng that JMU either isn't as good as they think they are or Weber State was much better. Not impressed with JMU. In my dreams I had us winning today and then KSU upsetting Sam Houston. SHS would be our nightmare, if anything could be worse than today. However, NDSU is the real deal, and I am afraid that even at our best we couldn't beat those guys. As our announcers said, it's a different deal when you are THE game in a region. There is no comparison anywhere in the East. Every city and town has many allegiences, and at Wofford we get one of 8 seeds and can only draw 5.000 people when we are playing our biggest rival. NDSU could draw more than that to a bonfire the night before. There is one thing, however, that we can all be proud of when we pull for Wofford athletics. Our players are true student athletes, and their work in the classroom always comes first. They always show respect to their opponents and represent our college with honor. It is not hard to be a fan of the short haired dogs; somedays it just hurts.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eric Deutsch on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:06 pm

I'm proud of our boys in black. Tough day today but great team all year long. It's never fun ending the season on a loss, but everyone does at this point except the champs. Eventually they will be able to look back at this season fondly but today is not that day.
Eric Deutsch
Junior Terrier

Postby youngterrier on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:11 pm

I hope one day we can field a team that can win the national title, but to be honest my baseline expectation is to be a team that will compete for a Socon title and 1-2 playoff games. That's pretty good for a program like us and it's a hard reality on days like today, but it's better than most programs.

You have to be thankful for what you have.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:21 pm

Quite honestly I am fed up with the fake amateurism of major college athletics, and know that there are at least some programs that choose to do it right. I don't have any problem putting my money and my heart in those programs. The others who have long since sold out to the win at any cost theory (Duke being the latest of the former hold outs to fall) have lost me. I could care less about them, because I know they are all cheating in some way. I don't know if the only pure football will end up being played by DIII teams, but it surely isn't played at the top FBS level. For our guys who left that field this afternoon in Fargo after playing their last game the next step is graduation and the real world. If playing football for Mike Ayers at Wofford hasn't prepared them nothing will.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:35 pm

Tough pill to swallow today, but very proud of the SoCon monsters. Hard to match up with that situation in ND (for anyone), just look at their success. I agree that JMU was not very impressive in their win over Weber St. At this point, it looks like a cake walk for NDSU (imo). Well, on to next year and a battle for the SoCon again......Go Terriers!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Very tough loss for our program. but not one to be ashamed of. The coaches and players battled to the end and just didn't make enough plays. Too many turnovers and "almosts". The Terriers started off well, but things happened and it all snowballed on them which can happen against any team, especially one as talented as NDSU. Yes, it was hard to watch, but I didn't see our guys hanging their heads. I think this is a lesson for our program on what you have to do to win in the playoffs much like the one we gave Furman last week (Hendrix made that exact point). In a lot of ways NDSU out Wofford-ed us today and tip of the hat to them for doing so.

This is the sort of thing that our coaches and returning players will take for what it is and use it as motivation going forward. Motivation to work harder, motivation to recruit harder, motivation to practice harder, motivation to get better and motivation to execute better.

Our seniors should absolutely be commended for everything they have poured into this program during their time. They have been shining examples of what the Wofford system can accomplish and they have exemplified themselves as people and players. They have been and will continue to be great ambassadors of Wofford College.

It always hurts for a season to end and this is no different for anyone. While I am disappointed in how this played out, I am not disappointed in our team. I actually am more at peace with this than I can remember at the end of a season in a long time. Wofford will be back and more conference championships and playoff runs will come and I look forward to watching them. Wofford is not a program built for one season and the trajectory of the program is good. Today the 2017 draws to a close, but don't think for a minute that the push for an even better 2018 won't start tomorrow.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:59 pm

And, as has become my custom at the end of each season, it's time to look back at President Dunlap's comments at the convocation honoring our 2003 team. This sums up Wofford pretty well all the way around and I hope it always does.

President Dunlap on Wofford football
Feb. 12, 2004

Included below are the remarks from Wofford president Dr. Benjamin Dunlap at today's campus convocation honoring the Terrier football team for its 2003 Southern Conference championship and trip to the Division I-AA semifinals.

We all know what Vince Lombardi said: “Winning isn’t the most important thing. It’s the only thing.” And you know what? That’s true in a lot of college athletic programs—mostly in ones with low graduation percentages and high incarceration rates for their athletes. If they don’t win, somebody gets fired. And if they do win, somebody gets investigated. At Wofford, winning is not the only thing. It’s just one of a lot things our student-athletes learn from Mike Ayers and his coaching staff.

The first thing they learn is that they’re students first and athletes second. The next thing they learn is that the secrets to success on the playing field are the same ones that will make them successful in life long after they’ve graduated. The third thing they learn is that they’re too small and too slow, with too few scholarships and too tough a schedule to be competitive in the Southern Conference. Oh, yeah, and then they learn that no mountain is too tall to climb, no opponent too big or too quick or too highly touted to be beaten by a team that’s smart, disciplined, and determined to win by playing together as team, not as a collection of prima donnas.

Don’t get me wrong. Wofford has its stars—what it lacks is prima donnas. When you play for the best coach in the United States, you play to learn as well as to win and you play together. When you lose, you know there’s something to be learned in that experience too—about your performance and about yourself. Vince Lombardi, who truly was a great coach, also said, “It’s easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you’re a winner, when you’re number one. What you’ve got to have is faith and discipline when you’re not yet a winner.”

I’ve had the privilege of joining our team in the dressing room after almost every game over the past four years, and some of those games were bitter losses. I’ve heard Mike Ayers in victory and defeat, and some of his most inspiring lessons have been taught when we lost. Coach Lombardi had a comment about that as well: “It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” That sounds like the heart of a terrier to me. It doesn’t matter how many times a bigger dog knocks a terrier to the ground. As long as it has a breath in its body, that little dog will get back to its feet and go on fighting, just as Wofford did in the closing seconds of our national semi-final play-off game against the University of Delaware. It was not our best game of the season, but those closing moments were among the most gallant in a season studded with victories.

We all know the tagline that has turned up everywhere, from the New York Times to ABC Television: “Wofford is the only football-playing Division I school whose average SAT score is higher than its total enrollment.” Look at our football success and you see what is true of every aspect of our college: we do more with less than anybody. And it’s especially gratifying to read in a nationally syndicated report that you can expect next year’s pre-season I-AA poll to list among its top five teams the “usual national powers”—Delaware, Wofford, and teams like that.

But even in that august company, there’s an important difference. Our players are not hired gladiators or Division I-A transfers. They don’t live in special dorms and major in specially designed pseudo-academic disciplines. They’re students like everyone else in this auditorium today, and they embody all the traits we would like to lay claim to ourselves—they are quick, intelligent, fiercely loyal competitors. They played their hearts out in every game, and, sometimes, they had the ball bounce off the ground right into their hands at a crucial point in the game. The difference between a great season and an unforgettable one is often a matter of a little luck here and there, and we had that too this season. Now we have the glory. We’re champions—all of us, not just the players. We’re all champions because that’s what they’ve given to us. They’ve brought these trophies home and they’ve made us all winners in the minds of people who couldn’t even pronounce our name at the beginning of the season.

Our purpose today is to bask in their achievement—to thank them for everything it cost them from the first day of practice to the last seconds of that game in Delaware. These are our guys, our coaches, our terriers.

Even beyond the gates on Church Street, even among those who graduated from institutions in distant places beset by ice and snow, there is pride in our team’s 2003 season.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Lakesbison on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:32 pm

thanks wofford your players were 1st class... I sat behind bench no bitching no getting mad at coaches or ndsu fans.

be proud of your kids.. hopefully NDSU wins the title so you can say you're #2
Lakesbison
Junior Terrier

PreviousNext

Return to Football