NDSU vs WOFFORD Lets get it on!!!

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: NDSU vs WOFFORD Lets get it on!!!

Postby crabbyterrier on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:26 pm

Hey Lakes, last time we played, were you the guy in the black afro that was feeding me shots in your party bus/bar? If so, I look forward to taking another shot or three with you this Saturday morning! Looking forward to the trip.

Go TERRIERS!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:02 pm

NDSU has a distinct advantage with the indoor stadium and couple that with the home crowd making so much noise that the opposing team has to use hand signals to run a play on offense. That can disrupt the opposing team's offense enough to cause a 3 and out. Seems like it gets so noisy because the noise has nowhere to go being inside an indoor stadium. Or am I missing the boat ? At least that is how the Terriers had to play the last time we were up there. That seems like an unfair advantage. However that is the only unfair advantage that i can see
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:35 am

Lakesbison wrote: wins in regular season give you homefield advantage in pretty much every major sports league.

Not true.

The three FBS playoff games are at three neutral sites. All NCAA basketball playoff games, except the few play-ins, are at neutral sites and never at one contestant's court.

The FCS, due largely to fewer financial resources, is different in giving higher ranked teams the home field advantage, until a neutral field for the final game.

This is just the way the FCS system is, but as RT correctly points out, NDSU has a distinct advantage over other teams in the field.

This is not to suggest that N.D. State does not have an excellent team; it certainly does.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:42 am

I've heard that Wofford may be on the hook for a couple hundred tickets to the NDSU game. So if you're going, check with the Wofford athletic office first to buy your ticket.

This will be the first game I've missed this year, and I'm feeling sad.
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:14 am

We are pumped for this one. I believe in this team wholeheartedly, and this game is no different. To be the best you have to beat the best, and NDSU is the Gold STandard in the FCS currently. Well.......SO BE IT. Measuring stick game, you want to be considered one of the elite programs in the country, GO MAKE A BIG STATEMENT. And while nationally there won't be many that give us a chance, the guys in that locker room, the brotherhood, THEY Do. Can't Wait (Bart Scott Voice)
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:20 am

Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Lakesbison on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:25 am

Crabby Terrior!! hell ya Frisco Cruiser bus.. c'mon over bloody Mary bar!!
Lakesbison
Junior Terrier

Postby Retiredterrier on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:33 pm

Sagarin has NDSU ranked as #41, Wofford #117 and San Diego as #136. Interestingly and as a side note South Carolina is ranked as #42. Wow I say !! They are ranked above USC who easily handled the Terriers although it probably should have been closer. Also NDSU is the highest ranked FCS school - even higher than JMU. Also there is a new part of the Sagarin called 'New_Feature' and in this new part you can see the prediction for NDSU Wofford. It appears that NDSU is favored by 28.94 points assuming I am reading it correctly. I have no idea how they arrived at that but it is what it is. You never know how a game will play out until it is played. So hopefully Sagarin is incorrect and the Terriers will do better than 28.94 points to the downside. Actually I understand NDSU being the favorite. They should be since they are ranked higher and their history is much more impressive than Wofford. However for NDSU to win by almost 30 points is hard for me to accept. No offense to NDSU. Obviously they are very, very good and it will be very tough for the Terriers to get a W in this one. But loosing by 28 - 29 ? I don't think so.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:44 pm

Sagarin has been down on us all year. I would think 17 -20 points would be more reasonable.i do think it bears mentioning that we are in a lot ways playing a FBS caliber team this week.i don’t think NDSU is in the SEC category however.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:13 pm

Obviously NDSU is a great team and is deservedly held in high regard. That said, they went to OT vs Youngstown State and lost to SD State so they can be beaten. Lakes, what happened in those games that enabled them to have success against the Bison?
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:22 pm

The thing with computer rankings and football games: football is probably one of the few sport where there's so much volatility in outcomes proportional to plays, that computers aren't as helpful to make predictions as, say, basketball.

For example, say that two teams run a total of 100 plays. 96 of those plays are deadlocked with an even proportion of winners and losers. One team wins the other 4 plays. They win by 4 touchdowns. You see why that can be a little unhelpful?

With computer rankings, they don't always account for nuances in the game as it's often a bunch of variables on a spreadsheet that updates independently of any eye test.

I'll gladly concede that, based upon average performance as calculatable from a computer, we're not a top 5 team. We've been too close in games that shouldn't have been.

But that doesn't mean we don't have the potential to be one. All it takes is one game to change the algorithm.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:20 pm

Ruckus wrote:Sagarin has been down on us all year. I would think 17 -20 points would be more reasonable.i do think it bears mentioning that we are in a lot ways playing a FBS caliber team this week.i don’t think NDSU is in the SEC category however.

I agree NDSU is not in the SEC category, but I am pretty sure you won't see the Gamechickens (...or any other SEC teams) putting the Bison on their schedule any time soon either, although it would be very interesting to see how they would do against some of them.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby BernieDunlap on Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:49 pm

Anyone been able to get tickets? I left my name with the ticket office earlier and am waiting for a call.
BernieDunlap
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:14 pm

About NDSU being on a par with the SEC.....hogwash! From Alabamay to Vandy, the Bizuns would get beat like a red-headed stepchild. Not even in the same galaxy.........Go Terriers!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:20 pm

Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football