Furman Part 2

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Furman Part 2

Postby youngterrier on Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:49 pm

I just hope the team puts in the same level of focus and determination into NDSU as they did Furman
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:23 pm

I was surprised that Jamison Chapman got three carries late in the game after having only 7 the whole year. It just seemed like an odd time to have one who was relatively untried carrying it. We seem to have some really good backs available.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:27 pm

That one run he had was very impressive. He broke 3 tackles and got something out of nothing.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:39 pm

Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eric Deutsch on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:36 pm

boulder3m wrote:OIRB#3- Did your daughter get to slide the hill? I am going to advocate for former athletes at Wofford, and especially football players, to have a number to call for tickets, parking and whatever at games. We should honor our own and make it special for them to come back at any time. It would also be neat for any former athletes to be recognized at football and basketball games like former members of the Armed Services. Ahhh-another windmill to attack!!

I dislike the idea of equating former student-athletes to veterans. We are alumni like everyone else and outside of special occasions/anniversaries, we are the past. We are there to support the current team like everyone else not to distract from them. But I'm ok with disagreeing too.
Eric Deutsch
Junior Terrier

Postby lawdog on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:49 pm

Great film. Lemon amazing; and don't forget, Clemons laid some wood, and Nelson carried some water, too.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby OlRB#3 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:21 pm

OIRB#3- Did your daughter get to slide the hill? I am going to advocate for former athletes at Wofford, and especially football players, to have a number to call for tickets, parking and whatever at games. We should honor our own and make it special for them to come back at any time. It would also be neat for any former athletes to be recognized at football and basketball games like former members of the Armed Services. Ahhh-another windmill to attack!!

She did and had a blast. Was completely exhausted after the game. She could not believe that her daddy was once one of those players on the field. Was definitely a great time and always love being back on campus.

I greatly appreciate your willingness to advocate for the "has beens" of the group. While I agree with Eric, we should not be, nor would we want to be, held to such a high regard as veterans. I do believe that the school could do a better job of keeping the former guys tied into the program. I actually had a conversation with one of our coaches regarding that this weekend, and he brought it up. If there were an opportunity for those "Former Terriers" to stand each week before the game, the crowd would be scattered with them. How much does it speak to the quality program if guys continue to come back to support after 5, 10, or 50 years? These guys are huge assets to the college and the football program. I spoke with a new OL commitment and his family Friday in the bookstore. They were excited to be Terriers, but I was getting "quizzed" by the mom on what I majored in, what am I doing now, etc. The real life questions. My thoughts about Coach Ayers, Woford, the team, etc are unique in that not only are they my views, they are the views of a FORMER PLAYER. While yes we are alumni, we have given our blood, sweat, and tears to this great college. The majority of alums are unable to say that. So, with all of that I don't want to be given special attention, but if there is a way for me to become more involved and have an opportunity to express to current and future players what Wofford means to me, then I'm all for it.

Thanks again boulder and youngterrier for the input this week and hope to be back in Sparkle City after we take care of NDSU! Go Terriers!
OlRB#3
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:28 pm

Last edited by Retiredterrier on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:32 pm

Todd wrote that story!

Retiredterrier wrote:https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/wofford-reaches-fcs-quarterfinals-with---win-over-rival/article_fed68a5a-d7c0-11e7-9e16-4f11d7500023.html
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:33 pm

Awesome trip to campus..accentuated with another win over Furples!

Many thanks to CrabbyT, Ruckus, Debbie Thompson, classmates, et al, for your great hospitality. 'twas also a pleasure to meet Little Giants (of the amazing pants' fame!), Ross T & RJ #19, Roo, Brad Butler and a couple of players' parents.

This team has a steely resolve/commitment to one another - BIG time. Noticed several players coming over to teammates after an untimely penalty, turnover, etc. and encouraging them/picking them up constantly.

Wish we were playing the quarterfinals closer to S'burg, so many Terrier fans could attend; but, I know lots of us will be tuned in at noon this Saturday.

ND State - round 2. I have a sense the team's view on playing in Fargo vs. the perennial FCS stalwart and its loud fans, dome, etc. is: "this is the next opportunity/step to reach our goal; so, let's make i happen."

Go SHD's!!
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:59 pm

This was our most complete game thus far this season. Cleanup the penalties and fumbles on offensive side of the ball and the score would have been lopsided. The special teams was on point, with the fake FG. I think everyone except the announcer saw that coming. Great call to ice the game. McAfee found another gear in this game. There were a few runs were his acceleration through the run seams was unreal. And he also showed poise on the run to the side line where he had the balance to remain in bounds to get with in 2 yards of the goal line. We are going to need a team showing this week vs #1 Defense in NDSU. Wouldn't even mind seeing a short yardage "Dog Bone" package with Stoddard in the back field with Miles Brown and Horton running behind Basinger or Rouse.

Defensively Lemon showed why he had 15+ offers (CAA, SoCon, Big South, OVC, C-USA, MAC) coming out of high school. Glad to see him peak during the playoffs. Hopefully our defensive intensity carries over to Fargo. Going to have to mix up the coverages against a Pro style offense like NDSU. If we zone them or give their QB pre-snap reads we could be in for a long game. It was good having Horton, Clemmons, and Wilson back in the lineup as well. We had a few blown coverages and need to solidify the passing in the middle of the field, but all in all was pleased with the defensive showing. Especially the goalline at the end of the game
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:17 am

What I love about this game the most was that we didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Just went about it as business as usual. We didn't play anywhere close to perfect, and this wasn't our ceiling, we have more to go still. Untimely penalties that got us off schedule, and turnovers. We play a game without those types of miscues and it will be scary how good we could be. And we will need a High level game from our guys this weekend.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:18 am

3 - you should plan on attending the former Terrier players reunion in March. Always around the end of Spring Practice. Great event and well attended by former Terriers. The whole purpose is to keep everyone in touch and connected to program. Look forward to seeing you there if you can make it work.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby FuFan on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:24 am

Did you love the taunting call 19 ?
FuFan
Terrier Pup

Postby WocoSix on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:53 am

There was plenty of banter going on between the teams. Not defending 19, I am sure he will respond to your inquiry, but RJ did more than make up for that call later on in the game with some clutch back to back catches and a few blocks down field that opened up big gains. Its a rivalry game so its to be expected. Official should have called an offsetting flag to at least warn both teams and coaches what they were seeing on the field. I thought it was amateur to throw a flag unless it was something blatantly obvious.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football